Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

lillyshak

Posted Sun Dec 19th, 2010 8:57pm Post subject: facts

There is a bird called a booby.
Nine Thumps is an anagram of Punishment.
Stephen Fry went to a strict, old fashioned prep school (maybe not unknown, but quite interesting)
Desperation is an anagram of The Rope Ends it
Mother in Law is an anagram of woman hitler.
Shakespear designed something very much like a TV, but rejected it as it was a 'ridiculous, un useful idea'

Thou shall not doubt the word of Stephen Fry.
Fry is good,
Fry is great,
Fry is clever,
Fry is God.
Now continue praying to him.

Murtock

Posted Thu Jan 6th, 2011 7:03am Post subject: facts

Stephen is sometimes ..............wrong. there, I said it.
In an edition if QI, some months ago he quoted Australian aboriginals as saying an eclipse of the moon would be said as " Kerosene lamp belong jesus he bugger up". WRONG. WRONG.
Aborigines of Australia do not speak pigeon. only PNG and some island countries such as Vanuatu do and to make matters worse the whole quote was wrong.
Oh dear, I am getting into dangerous territory.
It should have been "numba won kerosine lamp belong jesus he bugger up too muss....or if it was the sun.
Numba won lectrik lamp belong jesus he bugger too too muss.
Forgive me for my correction, but if you take a look around you then it becomes obvious to the God botherers that even she makes some monstrous mistakes.

MURTOCK

mojo-chan

Posted Sun Feb 13th, 2011 12:36pm Post subject: facts

Speaking of mistakes he said that Deep Blue, the grandmaster beating chess computer, is now being used for airline bookings. That is wrong, half of it is at IBM headquarters and the other half is in the Smithsonian.

Another random fact: Early computers ran only as fast at the paper tape could be fed into them. Operators increased the tape speed to "overclock" them. The practice went on well into the 70s, with spinning barrel memory replacing paper tape.

In the Linux operating system's printer subsystem there is still a "printer on fire" message. This dates back to when IBM produced chain printers. They were very fast but if the paper jammed the friction from the chain could cause it to catch fire. The message was intended to make the operator go check the printer, rather than being an actual indication of a fire.