Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Jonathan Syer

Posted Tue Dec 30th, 2008 6:01am Post subject: Fameiods
I do enjoy a good blog that always gets me thinking...

Now these thoughts and what have its may have popped up on previous comments but I am far too lazy/sane to read through all 369

I have often wondered what it would be like to meet a "famous" person. Would they be welcoming understanding etc? I have played witty scenarios in my mind back and forth keeping me entertained on my bus journey to work or walking to Uni.

The thing that I most find incredibly mind bending is how much it would mean to the person meeting the famous, and how little it would mean to the famous person. That previous sentence is meant to sound genuine not derogatory ha. But you get me.

As this is Stephens’s forum I will save the embarrassment of making this personal to meeting him and well just called the famous person, "the fameiod". Sounds almost robotic.

*Just to tangent I noticed I said Stephens and not Stephen Fry, as if I actually knew him. Incredible isn’t it... I think though that is because when a famous person is more in touch with their “fans” (cringing for some reason at that word) through websites, blogs, etc. it almost makes them seem as if you do know them. A small downside in my view compared to the happiness it will give people, but that is a different tale for a different picnic. *

If I was to ever meet a fameiod, I would no doubt be polite, a short conversation would pass and if I was brave enough to ask for an autograph that too. What is more likely to happen is I would look at them from a far distance, shy away, and kick myself later during the day, but lets move on!

I would regurgitate this meeting to anyone I knew, to my family, to my friends, from the cat next door to the lamp post I almost walked into from bragging so much. However the famous person would forget it almost instantaneously by comparison. NOW, I want to make it clear that I find this perfectly normal, but it just BENDS MY MIND! It is incredible how much something can mean to someone and so little to another, (again don’t take that sentence wrongly) it’s hard to even fully explain what I mean.

I guess we are all famous to someone, by comparison the other day a friend of mine from school asked me if I remembered an incident that clearly meant allot to him. I however, had totally forgot about it, lied that I had remembered every detail and walked away feeling some strange shame.

I wonder how I would cope, I wonder how I would feel with strange people wondering up to me when I am in no mood to look at my own feet let alone converse in a friendly happy manner. I think I would be great full for it, but wouldn’t all together like it.

It is a strange thing to be a "fan" of someone...the more I write about this the more I wonder what a "fan" is. I wonder how I can be-friend or I suppose be-fan is the best way to put it, someone who I have never met or am very unlikely to ever meet. Never the less, purely from a observer stand point I think it is still quite possible to show admiration for the way someone chooses to live there life and then from this reflect upon ones own life...

Maybe one day I’ll get a larger slice of this fame pie and find out all my wonderings, however I am sure there will be a 1000 more waiting to fill their place.

Hope all is good everyone

Feel free to post opinions on this blog

http://www.jsyer.co.uk

Nitro

Posted Thu Jan 1st, 2009 4:29am Post subject: Fameiods
I think it's certainly possible to know and accept the difference between appreciating a persons work and the person themselves. Knowing a persons work is not, ( and I'm sure I am stating the obvious ), the same as knowing the person. This should be clear to anyone with an IQ over room temperature.

Using Wilde as an example, I could personally care less if he shagged rent boys and destroyed his family. It's someone else's water under the bridge. He still produced some great work. There's no way to tell if the creator of any work is someone you'd actually like personally or get on with, so why think of it?

Really? Wow.

IdeaCollector

Posted Thu Jan 1st, 2009 10:28pm Post subject: Fameiods
As for meeting celebs...it all depends on the context. Like at the film festival I used to go to, I knew I would see celebs and probably get a chance to talk with them but I certainly didn't carry round an autograph book. I usually save autographs for meet and greats and light chat for chance encounters.

Nitro...amen to what you said. I mean I like Tommy Lee Jones...he's a decent actor but when that man came to speak he was either drunk or had a stroke and I don't recall anything in the papers about a stroke. Holy Mary he was slurring and talking nonsense and he was receiving a major award. Eww.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Nitro

Posted Fri Jan 2nd, 2009 2:35am Post subject: Fameiods
Well, Mr.Jones is a person and persons are not perfect are they? X-D
I've done a fair amount of assanine things in my own life and one never knows what's influencing others behaviors.

I've seen some of his films and was entertained, which is all that's owed me for the price of a ticket really.

The illusion of familiarity, which is a wide and deep illusion, is not true familiarity in my measly opinion.

Really? Wow.