Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

keats

Posted Wed Oct 17th, 2007 8:22pm Post subject: favourite book
I love Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein'. Some people might find the language off-putting but I find it utterly compelling.

I'm quite happy to admit that I'm a snob when it comes to books. Modern writing, more often than not, really annoys me. Now a days everyone thinks that they can write, and write well.

Saturn

Posted Wed Oct 17th, 2007 10:05pm Post subject: favourite book
I love Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein'. Some people might find the language off-putting but I find it utterly compelling.

One of my very favourite novels.

It's incredible that a novel written so long ago, and by such a young girl could have been so prescient.

So Keats, have you ever posted on http://www.john-keats.com/

Eastend Girl

Posted Thu Oct 18th, 2007 7:16am Post subject: favourite book
I love books but have to say Isabel Allende is my all time favourite writer, I love everything she's ever written - House of the Spirits and Daughter of Fortune are probably my favourites.

Other best authors are - Armistead Maupin - everything espectially Tales of the City series and Gabriel Garcia Marquez - hard going but very worth it. Love in the Time of Cholera is my favourite

keats

Posted Thu Oct 18th, 2007 8:20am Post subject: favourite book

One of my very favourite novels.

It's incredible that a novel written so long ago, and by such a young girl could have been so prescient.

So Keats, have you ever posted on http://www.john-keats.com/

no, i haven't posted on johnkeats.com. probably should, though. i adore his poetry. He is one of the greats in my opinion.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Oct 19th, 2007 12:02am Post subject: favourite book
Despite the fact that I read 18th and 19th Century lit all day for my job my favourite texts are decidedly contemporary (and would likely give dear old Austen a heart attack, the poor dear). I enjoy Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller, Dave Barry's Big Trouble and Risky Business, and (because I apparently quite enjoy books that deal with the various eccentricities of Florida) most anything by Carl Hiaasen

olga_v

Posted Fri Oct 19th, 2007 3:44pm Post subject: favourite book
I adore Steinback, Stoppard, Dostoevsky, Bulgakov, Wilde. So I like writers with humor. That's why I like Fry)

Chatter Box

Posted Sun Oct 21st, 2007 9:27pm Post subject: favourite book
I have just finished 'The Liar' and 'The Hippopotamus' both I though were cleverly constructed and witty, I preferred 'The Hippopotamus' and particularly like Ted. Both novels had a marvelous twist at the end X-D frequently and found very difficult to put down.

Being written a fair time ago and watching 'Who do you think you are' you realise how much some authors put of themselves into a book.

They say there is a good book in all of us...... I'm often tempted to try, if only there was more time.

Chatter Box

Posted Sun Oct 21st, 2007 9:28pm Post subject: favourite book
and if only I could spell better - though (thought)!

kashmira

Posted Mon Dec 24th, 2007 11:28am Post subject: favourite book
"Surgeon and Life",by professor Petrovskij