Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Canzonett

Posted Tue Aug 28th, 2007 10:01pm Post subject: favourite films
Ernst Lubitsch's To Be or Not to Be.
Billy Wilder's One Two Three and Some Like It Hot and Love in the Afternoon and Witness for the Prosecution!
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Casablanca
The Third Man
Die Feuerzangenbowle
Das Haus in Montevideo (not the stupid remake, but the original with Curt Goetz and Valérie von Martens)
Hokuspokus (again: Goetz/von Martens)
Dr. med. Hiob Prätorius (again: Goetz/von Martens)
To Kill a Mockingbird
(Guess I love black-and-white movies!)
Amadeus (apart from the English singing, which is really annoying!!!)
North by Northwest
Schtonk!
Das Wirtshaus im Spessart
What's Up Doc

The Oracle

Posted Tue Aug 28th, 2007 11:35pm Post subject: favourite films
It's weird I didn't get a reply about the film Ravenous but instead got this wonderful array of films being bandied about it's suprising when someone says about a film you think yeah I love that one to and that one and that one ........you get the idea so many films and only one pair of eyes. Love and kisses

Dobermann

Posted Wed Aug 29th, 2007 4:33am Post subject: favourite films
The soundtrack in Ravenous (by Damon Albarn of Blur and Gorillaz fame) was brilliant.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Aug 29th, 2007 10:36am Post subject: favourite films
Groundhog Day, Pulp Fiction and The Lord of the Rings trilogy are all cool choices. I've just remembered another old favourite - Ghostbusters!

Other favourites of mine :

- T2
- Die Hard trilogy-'specially the second one
- Ghost in the Shell - soooo pretty
- Primer - mainly because I still don't get it but I like the time travel concept. Which is mostly what the film is about but its done in a interesting way with lots of science.
- Monsters Incorporated

The only one there I haven't seen is Primer. The rest are bloody brilliant! I still haven't seen Ghost in the Shell 2, have you seen it?

Assuming direct control...

Canzonett

Posted Wed Aug 29th, 2007 7:01pm Post subject: favourite films
I loved reversed spoiled movie endings.

ClareBear

Posted Wed Aug 29th, 2007 11:31pm Post subject: favourite films
I love Brazil, it's several shades of fucked-up.

...and it's on at 11:20 tonight bbc2

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Aug 30th, 2007 11:57am Post subject: favourite films
I love Brazil, it's several shades of fucked-up.

...and it's on at 11:20 tonight bbc2

That's the one I missed from my first list. I love that film so much. It's Terry Gilliam's very best piece of work.

Other really good films I loved from my childhood were films like The Never-Ending Story, Back To The Future, The Railway Children, The Water Babies, The Secret Garden, A Little Princess and Fairy Tale: A True Story. Why don't they make films like these anymore? The last really good film of this kind was Tom's Midnight Garden.

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Aug 30th, 2007 2:55pm Post subject: favourite films
The former Czecoslovakia used to produce lovely films and TV series for children which were very popular in Germany and which I loved as a child. Most notably "drei Nüsse für Aschenbrödel" and "die Märchenbraut".

Canzonett

Posted Thu Aug 30th, 2007 7:07pm Post subject: favourite films
Die Märchenbraut! Arabela in Czech. Really a lovely series, both funny and satirical. I also agree about The Secret Garden if you mean Agnieszka Holland's film version. One of the best film adaptations of a given book that I know, because it remains rather true to the book, yets finds its own language for telling its story.
The Never-Ending Story, on the other hand, is one of the worst film adaptations I have ever watched. Cute in detail, maybe, but oh-so-horrible as a whole. (I will concede, however, that the following "Never-Ending Story" films probably were even worse.)

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Aug 30th, 2007 7:21pm Post subject: favourite films
Well I've never rad the book only seen the films and I really liked the first two Never-Ending Story films. The third was appalling, the first too were very good, especially the first. I loved the character Atreyu. It's so sad when his horse Artax get's sucked into Swamps of Sadness. :'(

Canzonett

Posted Thu Aug 30th, 2007 7:50pm Post subject: favourite films
Oh, readthebookreadthebookreadthebookreadthebook!!! Film vs. book: like comparing a blurred, dirty, trampled-on, torn, smeared and faded photocopy to a freshly painted picture.

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Aug 30th, 2007 9:45pm Post subject: favourite films
Oh yes, read the book! It's so worth it. I really hated the film after I had spent so many wonderful hours like Bastian sucked into the world of phantasie. "Momo" is a phantastic read, too, and the film was better than the "Neverending Story".

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Aug 30th, 2007 9:48pm Post subject: favourite films
*mewantbook*

Canzonett

Posted Thu Aug 30th, 2007 9:51pm Post subject: favourite films
I only hope the English translation is printed decently, with writing in two colours (red and green) and the ouroboros symbol on the cover if possible.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Aug 30th, 2007 9:58pm Post subject: favourite films
On Amazon there's only two books with the covers displayed, there's several others books but I don't know what they look like. It's lets you search inside the books but when you click on them it shows you inside a book that's neither version! I don't know which version that is (from the list if it even is). It's just black and white text as well.