Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

The Oracle

Posted Fri Aug 31st, 2007 11:19pm Post subject: favourite films
Mr. Steed and Saturn you both sound like you have the same love for DVD's as I have I dare not count mine as it could cause a serious guilt trip but then I look at them and think how can I stay angry with you, you beautiful things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ratoutofhell

Posted Fri Aug 31st, 2007 11:53pm Post subject: favourite films

Other really good films I loved from my childhood were films like The Never-Ending Story, Back To The Future, The Railway Children, The Water Babies, The Secret Garden, A Little Princess and Fairy Tale: A True Story. Why don't they make films like these anymore? The last really good film of this kind was Tom's Midnight Garden.

Did you see the recent version of Five Children and It? Eddie Izzard as the voice of the sand fairy, Kenneth Branagh as the mad uncle - it was excellent...

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

Saturn

Posted Fri Aug 31st, 2007 11:59pm Post subject: favourite films
I remember the old BBC TV series, I loved that.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 11:17am Post subject: favourite films
I don't have too large a collection of dvds, not compared to some people on here! I however have a massive collection of videos. :-// I'm currently burning them all to dvd. I'm working my way through Star Trek OST, next up Next Generation (I'll be at it all week).

After watching The Muppet Movie last night I simply have to add this as one of my favourite films. It's so lovely and funny. ^_^

I remember the old BBC TV series, I loved that.
That's the version I've seen too and The Phoenix and the Carpet. I haven't seen the new one with Eddie Izzard.

Assuming direct control...

The Oracle

Posted Sun Sep 2nd, 2007 12:04am Post subject: favourite films
I'm sorry Canzonett but a film is a film and a book is a book and you could have been polite enough to answer me if I got it wrong you could have said instead of completely blanking me manner cost nothing a lesson learnt

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Sep 2nd, 2007 12:40am Post subject: favourite films
OMG how could I forget Dougal and the Blue Cat!? It was the original Magic Roundabout movie from the 70s and it was brilliant. It has such a creepy and ominous atmosphere to it at the same time as it's usual almost psychadelic nutty feel. I did not like the 2005 cgi film (I fell asleep first time I watched it), give me the 1970 film anyday.

Bugsy Malone and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? are two other childhood classics I'll never stop loving.

Sorry am I getting my films confused is the film about a boy and a dragon, I apologise if I've got the wrong one I have been known to get it mixed up my memory is not as clear as it could be until it's jolted into place. Have a nice day.

There is a boy and a dragon in The Never-Ending Story. Two boys actually. One's reading the story (Bastian) and the other is the hero in the story (Atreyu).

Film trailer

Peter Griffin rides Falcor!

The Oracle

Posted Sun Sep 2nd, 2007 12:44am Post subject: favourite films
Thanks for that I didn't think I had it wrong

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Sep 4th, 2007 12:51pm Post subject: favourite films
Ok i have become a movie nut recently, my DVD collection has grown from 10 to well over 200 and i spend a fortune going to the cinema twice a week. I have loads of fav films but some of them are : V for Vendetta, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, X-men 1 and 2 ( 3 was crap ), Gods and Monsters, Apt Pupil, Fracture and The Devil's Advocate. I change my mind all the time though, so they'll be different next week

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Sep 5th, 2007 3:07pm Post subject: favourite films
Yay my copy of The Never-Ending Story arrived in the post today.....and the book cover is nothing like the picture on Amazon. Oh well it's the story that matters. I wasn't expecting illustrations! Never occured to me that there might.

Saturn

Posted Wed Sep 5th, 2007 10:34pm Post subject: favourite films
Watched a great movie the other day - Proof with Gwynnnie, Jake Brokeback Mountain-can't remember how to spell his surname] dude and Anthony Hopkins.

Excellent moving performance from Mrs Chris Martin as ever - why does she get such abuse?

I think she's is one of the very finest actresses in the world.

Okay she gave her kids silly names so what? Okay she cried at The Oscars - big deal her grandfather died and her Dad was seriously ill

Red Raven

Posted Wed Sep 5th, 2007 10:56pm Post subject: favourite films
Gynneth(sp?) is pretty cool, I like her as an actress but I really wish her characters didn't seem so alike. I was watching her in The Good Night with Simon Pegg and the character seemed different at first in the sense that I couldn't remember her playing such a mega bitch but I don't know there was something about it that was the same. Kinda makes me bored:(

absolutely curtains

Posted Thu Sep 6th, 2007 10:22am Post subject: favourite films

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Sep 6th, 2007 10:33am Post subject: favourite films
And on that note Tale Spin rocked. Not a film but what the hey.

absolutely curtains

Posted Thu Sep 6th, 2007 10:42am Post subject: favourite films
I'm sorry, I have to.

Did anyone see this film as a child and not subsequently try to use their arms as a skipping rope?

Mike60

Posted Thu Sep 6th, 2007 4:20pm Post subject: favourite films
Mike's list:

The Duellists
Lawrence of Arabia
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Four Feathers
The Man Who Would Be King
Far Pavilions
Barry Lyndon
Paths of Glory
Full Metal Jacket