Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Totz

Posted Thu Feb 26th, 2009 3:14pm Post subject: File sharing
What is your opinion on p2p and file sharing?

Ireland's biggest ISP (Eircom) recently settled on an out-of-court agreement with the Irish equivalent of the RIAA (IRMA) to disconnect anyone accused of downloading copyrighted stuff.

A company called DtecNet will monitor p2p usage and report any suspected infringers to the ISP, who will, without proof or their own investigations, disconnect users.

It's ridiculous and unfair to allow a third party to dictate who should be disconnected based solely on accusation.

Imho, file-sharing cannot be stopped. These organizations should be adapting to the changing patterns in peoples choice of media distribution methods.

I've downloaded QI on many occasions if I've missed it on TV, does that really make me a criminal?

Jarus

Posted Thu Feb 26th, 2009 9:08pm Post subject: File sharing
I haven't ever used a file sharing website, however this sums up my views rather nicely:

The responses to file sharing have been only harmful to honest consumers so far and many of the companies/game developers I respect have all agreed it's not possible to stop. In principal I agree that file sharing is stealing and stealing is bad, but the way the various industries have reacted has been so bad that I fly the Skull and Crossbones on this particular issue

Maxx England

Posted Fri Feb 27th, 2009 4:35pm Post subject: File sharing
I think (and this is just a personal opinion) part of the illegal download problem is that music companies in particular believe they have some sort of moral right to charge the same for a low energy and physically non existent download as they do for a cd, manufactured, stored, transported.

Essentially, it seems to me, that you have courts rubber stamping corporate greed. Or am I seeing things incorrectly?

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Totz

Posted Fri Feb 27th, 2009 5:58pm Post subject: File sharing
I think (and this is just a personal opinion) part of the illegal download problem is that music companies in particular believe they have some sort of moral right to charge the same for a low energy and physically non existent download as they do for a cd, manufactured, stored, transported.

Essentially, it seems to me, that you have courts rubber stamping corporate greed. Or am I seeing things incorrectly?

I agree with you on the over-charging, however I also understand the need for entertainment industries to keep revenues as high as they are to support them.

If only they'd realize that the revenues they create with hard-copy sales could be replaced or subsidized with ad placement and donations from the fans downloading stuff.

I personally don't d/l music or movies, because I enjoy owning hard copies. but it angers me that I can be tarred with the same brush as people who download pre-release stuff just for downloading something that's on a free-to-air tv channel here.

Shyamz

Posted Sat Feb 28th, 2009 4:26pm Post subject: File sharing
Personally I think it's a great way for people to share rare or hard-to-find stuff that many people would otherwise not be able to get their hands on.

I personally haven't ever downloaded anything by a new or up and coming band, as I feel they need all the help they can get, but when it's a big established band or artist, neither they or the record company can really argue that it will do them any harm.

Just like free downloads help South Park spread around the world quicker than it would have done otherwise (it was one of the first shows to be uploaded for free on p2p sites back in the late nineties) and gained them more fans in the process, think of all the good publicity downloads have provided for new artists of all kinds.

Pirate Bay is in trouble again, and despite this been a regular occurrence for them, for some reason I have a bad feeling about it this time.

Jonathan Syer

Posted Tue Apr 28th, 2009 5:26pm Post subject: File sharing
its all bollocks in my opinion

nothing more than a media hyped up arse licking trying to make out everyone who downloads is a criminal.

I agree that downloading EVERYTHING is bad, as people do need to be paid, but the big stars who are moaning that they are losing money... my god.. i could slap them. So some good looker who cant sing but has a hell of a good tech team gets paid 4.5million rather than 6 million. But its a guarantee that there music and in fact there life has advanced from illegal downloads because "its got them out there", so to speak.

In the end i think its doing more good than harm. They should enjoy the fact they are were they are.

http://www.jsyer.co.uk

Shyamz

Posted Thu Apr 30th, 2009 12:30pm Post subject: File sharing
Well, Sadly I was right this time it seems.

But despite a prison term and a big fine, the Pirate Bay guys seem to have been given some of the best free publicity they could ever wish for, via the BBC's marvelous "How-To" news item about the court case, telling viewers how to find the website and how people can download files...

Oh the irony, well done BBC. X-D

And good luck to the Pirate guys I say. After all, technically it is true that they aren't breaking the law, so there you go.
How else would I have been able to get hold of my T.K.K albums over here?

Totz

Posted Sat May 2nd, 2009 1:01am Post subject: File sharing
I don't think I'd agree with wishing them 'good luck'.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that p2p is a great tool that publishers should embrace, but these 4 guys in particular deserve what they get.

They openly encourage 'piracy'... not new distribution methods or a middle ground with copyright holders.

They flaunt the take-down notices that they receive and basically laugh at those sending them, and that in turn encourages people to do the same thing, ie. disregard all rights of content owners.

They're financially backed by a guy that has far right-wing agendas and I feel that the whole site and it's ethos is a political ploy to reach young people.

Look at Mininova, a bigger site... it seems to be operating freely without the need for all the drama

Shyamz

Posted Mon May 4th, 2009 12:50pm Post subject: File sharing
I have used Mini Nova many times, (in fact it's the one I use nearly all the time, as I find that although it's not as big as Pirate Bay, it has more of what I'm looking for and the search function is a lot more accurate...and it's better laid out. P.B is normally my last point of call, as it's such a mess generally).

I understand the argument regarding encouraging bad behavior, but surely all these sites regardless of how nice they look or how friendly the forums are, are encouraging material piracy, not just Pirate Bay? After all they all operate in the same way, and what other methods of file sharing are there?
given that the main reason people use these sites is because they can't get hold of some stuff wherever they live, or because they don't want to pay the higher store prices for things.

Personally in these times where sharing is so easy, I feel the only way record companies will be able to find a way to get round this problem (and in turn find as you say a new method of sharing files, which I agree with), is by ceasing to be so high-and-mighty about it and agree to have some form of dialogue with these people that doesn't consist of nothing but accusations and lawsuits.

Giving a list of people who have the material is (still) not illegal, as it is just a list of people who are prepared to share files, and the site owners don't personally hold the files themselves.
I think that instead of going out of their way to try and force a square peg into a round hole over that detail, record company bosses need to say "O.K, we acknowledge that that isn't illegal as such, but we do need to come together and find a way to use this technology in a way that we can both be happy with". Rather than just saying "We don't care, we still don't like it, we're going to sue your arses". This just makes even the nicest web host stubborn after a while. (Not that I'm saying the P.B people are nice...they seem like smug twats most of the time).

I can't say that I've ever noticed any kind of worrying political messages in P.B, where is it?

Totz

Posted Mon Jul 13th, 2009 1:44pm Post subject: File sharing
Sorry to bump an old thread but I felt that this was quite fitting for the subject... and the forum

http://torrentfreak.com/stephen-fry-admits-hes-a-bittorrent-pirate-090713/

Nitro

Posted Mon Jul 13th, 2009 5:36pm Post subject: File sharing
Fuck the music industry. They don't and never have given a damn about 'artists'. That they do is a massive illusion. An artist is only as good to any label as they are able to sell 'product' ( songs ) in a quantity that justifies any costs invested in them. The minute they stop or decline, on the pile of dry carcases they go. If they get sick or injured, there's no health insurance waiting for them you can bet that. And the slim, what?, 2% maybe who are 'platinum' artists that make bazillions of dollars are NOT the average band/songwriter/musician/singer. MOST are lucky if they can earn a living. That's what was hopeful for so many about the They could create in absence of contracts and generate revenue such that they kept 100% of it and dealt it out as they saw fit. In most music contracts, if the artist gets $2.00 on ever CD or .10 (cents ) on every download, they'd doing fucking fantastic.

"The music industry is full of thieves, liars, whores, pimps, murderers, and drug dealers. And then there's the bad side." - Hunter S. Thompson ( not an exact quote, sorry, but you get the point ).

The RIAA or whoever they are can kiss my happy ass.

Really? Wow.

Open Thread

Posted Sat Sep 5th, 2009 12:54pm Post subject: File sharing

Sort of bumping an older thread here, but after a search I think this is the best place to try and reach out to a wider community. An American PhD candidate, Joel Tenenbaum, was fined $675k in a jury trial after having been sued by the RIAA for file-sharing. He was charged for file-sharing of 30 songs, so that works out to $22,500 per song (instead of 99 cents, let's say). We've just completed an interview of him, his legal defence team and the RIAA, so if you have 40 minutes whilst cooking dinner or on the bus or whatever, please have a listen. Hope it contributes to the debate. http://bit.ly/O6gRM

wildfire

Posted Sat Sep 5th, 2009 3:23pm Post subject: File sharing

Root cause of the problem is that the record industry no longer provides a useful service. It's a chicken with the head cut off, the body just hasn't stopped running around yet.

In the past, the record industry supplied high-quality recordings by pressing an LP, and then a CD, that the average person couldn't obtain otherwise. They invested in a record press and a distribution network and made the money back by selling many records at a low price.

Today, we've all got the means of producing high quality copies of music via computer and the distribution network via the internet, so the 'record industry' no longer has a purpose in trying to do the same. Attempting to use the law to restrict other people from making copies, to recreate a commodity that no longer exists is absurd.

I think that iTunes and Apple have a reasonable model - they provide the convenience of supplying a complete library of music, at loose-change prices, e.g. a tune from iTunes is comparable to a candy bar or a coffee from a highstreet shop. iTunes is still compatible with MP3s that you'd like to import, wherever you got them from, e.g. it's compatible with file-sharing, however it doesn't proactively support file-sharing in a way that would cannibalize sales from the iTunes store.

davemalley

Posted Sat Sep 12th, 2009 12:04pm Post subject: File sharing

i agree with what wildfire says about the record industry, and the persecution of file sharers is absurd.
it would be like the government making a law stating that it is illegal to give people lifts in your car as this is losing ford revenue as these lift takers could be buying their own car.
it wont be long before it will be illegal for someone to lend a friend a film or album, as this is allowing them FREE pleasure and the poor artist/record label/movie star/film company are losing out on revenue.
you will have to sign a contract when you buy any media stating that it will be for your own use and that if anyone else wants to watch/listen with you they must contact the relevant people to pay their share of the owed cash.
i already insist that when i watch a dvd in my house that the wife and kids leave the room or wear a blindfold and eardefence so they dont infringe an artists rights.
i only listen to music via headphones to stop people steeling the music with their thieving ears.
and obviously i burn all my books after reading them.

p2p is just the beggining.

phew!!

people who use P.S are just showing they havent put enough thought into their writing before they started.

P.S cant get out of the habit myself