Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

jradley2004

Posted Sun Dec 27th, 2009 4:31pm Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

Does anyone know what time of year Stephen filmed the above episode? I've googled but can't find the exact info and am planning a Rockies road trip myself so am very interested to know what time of year this was filmed as there was still snow but clear roads. I am planning my 3 week trip in April.

Thank you

michael

Posted Tue Dec 29th, 2009 7:05pm Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

Where are you traveling from? And where in the Rockies are you going?

It all depends on the year's snowfall. I once took a road trip that skirted Glacier National Park in late May and all the roads into it were closed. I've been there in July and it's all fine then.

You can go to many parts of the Rockies in mid and late summer and still find snow.

here's links to weather info
http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/weather.htm
http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/weather.htm

You could call the National Park that you may be going to, (Glacier National Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, etc.) and ask them about typical conditions.

Sorry that doesn't answer your real question, but maybe it will help with your trip!

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

jradley2004

Posted Wed Dec 30th, 2009 7:01pm Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

Thanks Michael - any advice is really helpful. I am planning to start from Calgary/Jasper early April and drive along the Rockies to Colorado. Is this do-able do you think? Maybe if I can't veer off the main highways at that time, I can do on my return drive which will be the end of April?

mueske

Posted Sun Jan 17th, 2010 2:44pm Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

Hello,

I have registered because I would also like an answer to this question, as I also cannot seem to find any information regarding this.

Perhaps dates are mentioned in the book? Could anyone confirm this?

I would be very grateful to anyone who could shed some light on this question.

penguin1

Posted Mon Jan 18th, 2010 10:20am Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

The Rocky Mountains are so beautiful. I have only seen them once as a little girl. I hope I get to visit again and experience their beauty. I haven't seen the episode of Stephen in the Rockies yet.

michael

Posted Tue Jan 19th, 2010 5:29pm Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

jradley2004 said:
Thanks Michael - any advice is really helpful. I am planning to start from Calgary/Jasper early April and drive along the Rockies to Colorado. Is this do-able do you think? Maybe if I can't veer off the main highways at that time, I can do on my return drive which will be the end of April?

i'm sorry i missed your reply! well maybe it's not so late... sorry!

do you live in calgary? or are you visiting from overseas?

it's def doable, you'll see some great stuff whenever you go. unless there's some crazy snowstorm the interstates are always open.

the roads through the park are just so narrow, they are a totally different thing from the interstates, and are often closed until summer. but seriously, you could just ring the park or email and rangers there can tell you a lot more.

also, there are some other folks on here who live closer to the rockies than i do, maybe they know!

i remember going through a border crossing in alberta, i think it was called pitcher...?? big snow covered plains with a wind farm and just beyond the wind farm, the big wall of mountains. i made a painting of it later in the summer

marzgirl

Posted Wed Jan 20th, 2010 2:12am Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

jradley2004 said:

Michael asked me to reply here because I am from Colorado. April is very uncertain. One of the worst blizzards we had in Colorado Springs was at the end of April one year. I have also driven through Wyoming in June and it was snowing. Don't drive through Wyoming anyway if you can help it. The only good part is the north/west corner.

The major highways are going to be better plowed and maintained so I would not recommend veering off if there is alot of snow. There are alot of mountain passes on your way down and they will close them if the weather is too bad.

Sorry I don't have a yes or no answer.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Wed Jan 20th, 2010 2:18am Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

One more thing regarding most parts of Colorado. Because of the elevation and abundant sunshine, when it does snow it melts off pretty quickly. Usually if it has snowed overnight, the morning drive sucks but by early evening most of it is gone.

Colorado has a higher average of sunshine days than Florida, the sunshine state.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

michael

Posted Wed Jan 20th, 2010 5:26pm Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

oh i'd never heard that about sun & colorado, but i believe it! when we'd hike there in summer, there'd be a rainstorm every afternoon at 4 or so, but otherwise so sunny!!

thanks for the post marzgirl! i'd only been thru the rockies in may or later.

marzgirl

Posted Wed Jan 20th, 2010 9:54pm Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

Yeah, Colorado Springs averages more than 300 days of sunshine per year. Something like 320.

Anyone going to Colorado Springs I would recommend seeing Garden of the gods, Manitou Springs, just west of Colo. Sprgs is a cool little town to walk through. There are Manitou cliff dwellings and Cave of the Winds but I never went because I am claustrophobic. Downtown is cool. Lots of resteraunts and shops. I went to high school downtown and hung out at the park everyday.

The Royal Gorge near Canon City is cool. It is the highest suspension bridge. There is white water rafting and horseback riding in that area as well.

If you decide to go to the top of Pikes Peak it is best to take the cog railway. If you drive your own car, you will need new breaks when you get back down. The Cheyenne Mountain zoo is very cool. The zoo really is on the mountain. It is a good hike and you can feed the giraffes. There used to be a dancing porcupine too, not sure if he is still there.

There are different little festivals depending on time of year. Spring Spree (in the spring) downtown is fun and Pioneer Days (I think towards the end of summer) in Old Colorado City is fun as well.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Wed Jan 20th, 2010 9:59pm Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

As poor Stephen found out, hot sauce does not cure altitude sickness. Staying hydrated will help.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

michael

Posted Thu Jan 21st, 2010 5:11pm Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

lol!!

one time a "friend" took me hiking for a day trip from seattle to the cascades... sea level to like, above tree line in 12 hours... that was ridiculous, i couldn't walk farther than 10 yards without feeling like i was gonna faint!

apparently the friend was immune, or never thought about this.

Russell Khan

Posted Tue Mar 23rd, 2010 12:58pm Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

the roads through the park are just so narrow, they are a totally different thing from the interstates, and are often closed until summer. but seriously, you could just ring the park or email and rangers there can tell you a lot more.

also, there are some other folks on here who live closer to the rockies than i do, maybe they know!

Edinburgh Accommodation
NBA and NCAA Picks

wwwyulel

Posted Mon Nov 22nd, 2010 1:41pm Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

Hello! ! !

Nitro

Posted Fri Nov 26th, 2010 7:19pm Post subject: Filming Schedule of Mountains and Plains

If you like winter activities, Colorado rawks for that. You can book your lodgings more cheaply *just outside* of the ski resort areas. Most of the hotels have vans running folks back and forth to the ski areas. Purchase your lift tickets in advance with your ski package if you can. One thing that did kinda freak me out, and I'm not unfamiliar with mountains, was the van transport from the airport to the hotel. The drivers take their driving for granted ( and they are good drivers ). Speeding along those wintery roads, up and up, twists and turns, scared the buh-jeezuz out of me!! One passenger kept distracting the driver with questions and I had several heart attacks on the way up as a result of witnessing this. Ack!

I liked Spring in Boulder. It's a college town and was pretty. But I haven't been there in about ten years.

Really? Wow.