Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 12:20pm Post subject: Firefox problems
I used to use Firefox all the time but it just wont start now. I've downloaded the new version, attempted to re-install, removed it completely then re-installed it but nothing is working, it just wont launch. It keeps crashing. Its really annoying as I loved the add-ons.

Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know how I can sort it, cos I want my beloved Firefox back.

Nitro

Posted Sun Jul 5th, 2009 5:35pm Post subject: Firefox problems
There can be more than a few reasons for this, none of them related to Firefox.

Which version of Firefox did you say is doing this? Oh, you didn't.

Most applications can't actually be considered 'crashing' if they cannot launch to begin with. Usually it's launch->crash ( you see 'something', then it goes away ). Do you see anything at all when you launch it?

Usually, Firefox will pop up a little window when your add-ons have a new version. Did you keep those up to date? ( and yeah, sometimes an add-on can cause a crash so..)

Also, have you checked on the Mozilla site under 'Support' for your issue?

The Mozilla team are pretty damned good about responding to feedback with their stakeholders ;).

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/

Search 'browser crashing' and go from there. For every hundred people who have no problems with FF, two or three will. This is true of just about every browser ( except IE where 90% of the customer base had/have continual issues X-D )

Has the browser you used to come here - since you aren't using FF anymore - to make this post crashed at all? If it starts to crash too, your problem probably isn't browser specific.

Really? Wow.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 5:24pm Post subject: Firefox problems
Thanks, I feel really dense not checking the support pages, seems obvious so obviously its the only thing I didn't do.

Its 3.5 I have now. I managed to get it working for a few hours yesterday, the prob turned out to be Google Desktop. It has now decided to start crashing again and wont load so I shall go get my crash reports and see what the problem is this time.

FineWine

Posted Fri Jul 24th, 2009 6:25am Post subject: Firefox problems
Its 3.5 I have now. I managed to get it working for a few hours yesterday, the prob turned out to be Google Desktop. It has now decided to start crashing again and wont load so I shall go get my crash reports and see what the problem is this time.

I had similar problems where FF would crash on start up (windows version) and discovered that it was an FF add-on called Cooliris http://www.cooliris.com/ Once I had disabled that all was fine.