Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Frylu

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 9:15am Post subject: first experience
Having read all the books of "the pipe smoker of the year" .I have to say ,that stephen fry is the best writer ever (!) toodle pip,ludwig[color=darkred][/color]

Canzonett

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 10:03am Post subject: first experience
Considering the existence of writers and/or poets like Shakespeare and Homer, Cervantes and Dostoevsky, Hugo and Petrarca, Wolfram von Eschenbach and Baudelaire, Bulgakov and Donne - (stop me at any time ) -, Manzoni and Spee, Lagerlöf and Kafka, Strindberg and Grimmelshausen, Goethe and Catullus, Laxness and Th. Mann, Enquist and Mulisch, Murakami and Petronius, Høeg and Poe, Wodehouse and Gogol, (three hours later) ... I feel inclined to contradict. Nothing said against the quality of Stephen Fry's books, which I also enjoyed enormously, but "the best writer ever"?

Frylu

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 10:12am Post subject: first experience
of course you are right . I used that only to express, that i like his books very much

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Dec 22nd, 2006 10:11pm Post subject: first experience
I volunteer Viktor Pelevin as best writer ever.

Canzonett

Posted Fri Dec 22nd, 2006 11:00pm Post subject: first experience
Depends on your parameters of choice.

Frylu

Posted Wed Feb 14th, 2007 9:52am Post subject: first experience
Dostojewski is also one of the best (!)

trouser material

Posted Wed Feb 14th, 2007 7:24pm Post subject: first experience
Of course, we all know Dan Brown is the best writer ever.

Nah, i like his books really.

I'm a simpleton you see, easily confuddled by long words and stuff and all that. Give me a story with some gritty action, a romantic undercurrent and a dramatic climax, and i'm as happy as a pig in sherry.

ClareBear

Posted Wed Feb 14th, 2007 11:58pm Post subject: first experience

I'm a simpleton you see, easily confuddled by long words and stuff and all that. Give me a story with some gritty action, a romantic undercurrent and a dramatic climax, and i'm as happy as a pig in sherry.

Give Hugh Laurie's novel "The Gun Seller" a go. Very much a blokes book.

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Feb 15th, 2007 12:07am Post subject: first experience

Very much a very young bloke's book.

trouser material

Posted Thu Feb 15th, 2007 11:26am Post subject: first experience

Very much a very young bloke's book.

W-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-ll thats ME!!

ish.

I am juvenile though, so it should be rather apt.

Frylu

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 8:49am Post subject: first experience
You think that Dan Brown is a good writer Sorry, but his books are strange. Think of the scene in the end of Illuminati. He jumps out a helicopter and falls into the Tiber, and survives (!) This guy is mad, you see (!)

gibbon

Posted Sat Mar 10th, 2007 2:24pm Post subject: first experience
Nope His Fryness is hands down the best writer ever...Every other book pales in comparison.

I just wish he would publish some of his poetry (the stuff he said he wrote but would never publish) so he could put Milton, Plath, Hughes, Blake, Wordsworth and others in their place

But as for Dan Brown.... Pfffff! I mean the bad dood is a red eyed albino. Come on...

Britannicus

Posted Sat Mar 10th, 2007 4:30pm Post subject: first experience
I just started Revenge last night, and I must say, it's really pretty good. (I'd spotted it when I had popped into the library for the I, Claudius DVDs. )

I'm not very far yet, seeing as I didn't start it 'til about one in the morning. But one thing I've noticed so far is that all the characters are very distinct. Often times in books, the bad guys will be shoved into one corner and the good guys into the next. There are the basic differentiating details among the members of each group, but essentially, if you're a goodie or a baddie, you're practically a clone of everyone else from your chosen side of whatever the dividing issue is. All characteristics sort of blend together in a big pool of mush, you know? But not in this book! So far all the characters feel very individual, much more alive. I'm absolutely loving it. Sooo refreshing.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

gibbon

Posted Sun Mar 11th, 2007 4:04pm Post subject: first experience
Yeah why was The Stars Tennis Balls called Revenge in America?

I enjoyed it when Babe tied it in with that line from a poem

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Mar 11th, 2007 6:55pm Post subject: first experience
To spare the Puritans the sight of the words BALLS so prominent in the title?