Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Flossy

Posted Thu Mar 29th, 2007 1:53am Post subject: first experience
The American trash readers (to whom it would have been marketed) are a bunch of unimaginative gutter snipes when it comes to abstract concepts, so the tittle would have thrown them off the scent completeley. I remember seeing the title on a book shelf (where else) and thinking, "I wonder what it means?"

After a little thought, 5 seconds, I got the jist of it and bought the book.

The dosile US reader on the other hand would have found it all a bit too much and passed by in the direction of Harold Robins or some other such tit!

But, to look at it another way, we dumb down the cover to open the reader up to some great writing thus educating the American public. (or at least little bits of it)

Now where do you stand?

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Thu Mar 29th, 2007 2:23am Post subject: first experience
he could put Milton,Plath , Hughes, Blake, Wordsworth and others in their place

Ah ah ah! now now, dont diss the PLATH....

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Mar 30th, 2007 4:22pm Post subject: first experience
The American trash readers (to whom it would have been marketed) are a bunch of unimaginative gutter snipes when it comes to abstract concepts, so the tittle would have thrown them off the scent completeley. I remember seeing the title on a book shelf (where else) and thinking, "I wonder what it means?"

The dosile US reader on the other hand would have found it all a bit too much and passed by in the direction of Harold Robins or some other such tit!

But, to look at it another way, we dumb down the cover to open the reader up to some great writing thus educating the American public. (or at least little bits of it)

Now where do you stand?

Steady on, Flossie. Frankly, your tone lacks imagination. We Americans are so much bashed that you will have to do better if you expect to raise a glimmer of respect. From this American at least.

Flossy

Posted Fri Mar 30th, 2007 4:56pm Post subject: first experience
Oops Sorry beespajamas!

A little flight of un-imagination on my behalf!

I guess I can sometimes fall victim to such silly generalisations!

I think what I'm having a kick at is the "trash" fiction itself and not necessarily the readers.

There are, of course, unimaginative gutter snipes in every country and in every community and not all of them will read trash either. Hard to be specific when it comes to such things. Comprehensive research is required to establish such facts and I dont have any! So again! Oops!

Nothing but respect for and solidarity with progressive Americans.

It might have been the bottle of wine I was sitting with too! It has been known to stir the emotions!

It's good to keep each other right!

Thanks!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Mar 30th, 2007 5:20pm Post subject: first experience

It might have been the bottle of wine I was sitting with too! It has been known to stir the emotions!

It's good to keep each other right!

Thanks!

Sitting next to a bottle of wine is never a bad idea. Apology accepted.

Flossy

Posted Fri Mar 30th, 2007 5:29pm Post subject: first experience
Or the bottle of Gin sittng next to the bottle of wine!

Thanks again!

Britannicus

Posted Tue May 15th, 2007 8:13am Post subject: first experience
Yeah why was The Stars Tennis Balls called Revenge in America?

It's the same book? Whoa.

Seems like someone came down with Sorcerer's Stone Syndrome during the journey across the pond.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Phlizz

Posted Tue May 15th, 2007 10:48am Post subject: first experience
I must admit, I didn't understand the title immediately. It makes sense as you read the book though. Personally, I think revenge is a silly name for the book - it's not the most striking thing in the book and is a bit mis-leading really with regard to what the plot might be about. And despite the old phrase, people almost always judge books by their covers. Do authors themselves come up with alternate titles or does the publishing house do this? Because I can imagine Stephen agonizing for hours over the title before finding the right one, only to be told he had to change it for the US market

ShaylaMorris

Posted Sun May 27th, 2007 7:23am Post subject: first experience

Now where do you stand?

Steady on, Flossie. Frankly, your tone lacks imagination. We Americans are so much bashed that you will have to do better if you expect to raise a glimmer of respect. From this American at least.

This American is going to toss her two cents in about the changeing of the book title. Speaking for myself I HATE it when a publishing house desides to change a book so the adverage american can understand it. Flossie you do have a point even if wine or some other spirit was in you. I want any book that I buy to be the book that the author wrote cover and all. Then again I'm concitered a strange person because I don't read "normal" books. You should see the looks I get when I ask for Moab is My Washpot which is when I got comment. I hope that one day a meeting can be set up for people of this site can meet up so that us Americans that are on this board can show that we're not all dumb hopless twits. So Flossie you do have my respect because one you pointed out a truth but you appoligised for the delivery. That shows class.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 5:13pm Post subject: first experience
They changed the title of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in America. It seemed daft to me, especially when they made it into a film they had to shoot any scene that mentioned the stone's name in full twice to cater to the two different titles.

Assuming direct control...

ShaylaMorris

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 6:22pm Post subject: first experience
They changed the title of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in America. It seemed daft to me, especially when they made it into a film they had to shoot any scene that mentioned the stone's name in full twice to cater to the two different titles.

It made me mad to hear the reason that the publisher put out to justfy the change.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 8:03pm Post subject: first experience

It made me mad to hear the reason that the publisher put out to justfy the change.

What was the reason exactly? I can't remember.

I haven't frequented any Harry Potter sites for about a year now. I used to always be on them, especially Mugglenet. There's only so much speculation about who's going to die one can take.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 1:00am Post subject: first experience
because Americans were suposably not able to understand the word Philosopher or something..... well thats the rumour anyway.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 2:29pm Post subject: first experience
Poor Americans. Why do these companies insist on treating people like idiots? I don't think an American child is less likely to know what philosopher means than a British child.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 6:58pm Post subject: first experience
in absolutely (spl?) every country other then America it was released as Philosopher's Stone... (all of this is from IMDB btw) it really is mad that they would just change it for Americans.... I dont know why they would.