Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 8:16pm Post subject: first experience
It seems ott to me.

I remember when the BBC changed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles because they were worried kids would form violent ninja gangs. Even in America they kept the ninja in but here no.

Assuming direct control...

ShaylaMorris

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 9:05pm Post subject: first experience
because Americans were suposably not able to understand the word Philosopher or something..... well thats the rumour anyway.

Not a rumour that was the reason. Schoolastic, the publisher here, got so much flack from teacher and parents that they swore not to do it again. Which is the reason I want the British copy of Moab is My Washpot. Also you should hear the reader for the Harry Potter Audiobooks . I'm hopeing to find someone who is willing to make a copy of the British reader on cd since you can not order the British audiobook or hardback books in the US. An agreement between Schoolastic and the British publisher bars it.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 9:08pm Post subject: first experience
because Americans were suposably not able to understand the word Philosopher or something..... well thats the rumour anyway.

Not a rumour that was the reason. Schoolastic, the publisher here, got so much flack from teacher and parents that they swore not to do it again. Which is the reason I want the British copy of Moab is My Washpot. Also you should hear the reader for the Harry Potter Audiobooks . I'm hopeing to find someone who is willing to make a copy of the British reader on cd since you can not order the British audiobook or hardback books in the US. An agreement between Schoolastic and the British publisher bars it.

Can you order the British version on ebay or the Amazon Marketplace from someone other than a shop? Just a thought that some individual might sell the British version to you overseas. I don't own any HP audiobooks at all so I can't help by recording a copy.

ShaylaMorris

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 9:14pm Post subject: first experience
Can you order the British version on ebay or the Amazon Marketplace from someone other than a shop? Just a thought that some individual might sell the British version to you overseas. I don't own any HP audiobooks at all so I can't help by recording a copy.

Will look at the marketplace and ebay (Slaps self in head) didn't think of that. If there is ever a book in the US you would like let me know so I can help you.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 9:27pm Post subject: first experience

Will look at the marketplace and ebay (Slaps self in head) didn't think of that. If there is ever a book in the US you would like let me know so I can help you.

You're welcome. We all need nudges when we're miss the obvious from time to time. That's a problem my family say I have - that I'm smart when it comes to academic work but incredibly dopey when it comes to common sense stuff and miss really obvious things.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 10:08pm Post subject: first experience
Also you should hear the reader for the Harry Potter Audiobooks

I have all of them! hahaha I dont have Stephen's ones cos I cant afford them and my friend sent me all the American ones cos he has the soundbytes. I had never heard Stephen's version, so I thought the American ones where good.... but then someone posted a link to snippets of Stephen's reading and now I think the American ones are crap.... hahaha I really wish I won the lottery....

Frylu

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 4:07pm Post subject: first experience
But Stephen Fry is obviously the best Harry Potter reader.
-> burn the american audiobooks and work hard!
A Stephen Fry product is nearly always worth its money (!)

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Jul 20th, 2007 9:23am Post subject: first experience
2 more examples of titles changed for American audiences:

The James Bond film "Licence To Kill" was oriiginally going to be called "Licence Revoked" after the John Gardner novel. That title would have made sense in the context of the story and the word even appeared in the dialogue, but it was decided that Americans wouldn't know "revoked" and so they opted for the bland, meaningless title.

"The Madness of King George" was originally called, appropriately, "The Madness of King George III". However, the Roman numerals were removed in case Americans thought it was a sequel.

Why do Americans patronise their own people?