Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

michael

Posted Wed Jun 3rd, 2009 10:23pm Post subject: fix it thread?
hey everybuggy!

i live in a college town and yknow what? when students move out they just put everything on the curb. this week i've found two end tables and a junked up classical guitar.

it's in really bad shape, it looks like whoever took the bridge off just ripped it off and so it's chiselled up down there. like 1 or 2 layers of wood came off in parts. but i couldn't just leave it there, going to the trash like that.

anyone know if it's fixable?

even if it doesn't sound great, if i don't play it, i could give it to a kid. i would ask on a guitar forum but tbh sometimes those folks are real serious about it and they might say "oh that guitar's a bunch of crap" and then the guitar will cry.

and maybe we can all share our tinkering knowledge in the future.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Maxx England

Posted Wed Jun 3rd, 2009 10:27pm Post subject: fix it thread?
I suggest Big Road Blues, go to the Equipment thread and tell them Maxx sent you. They're a laid back crowd, so you won't get people trying to score points off you or put you down. It's probably not worth the effort to fix, but if it's a good manufacturer, it might be worth trying. One thing, never put steel strings on a nylon strung guitar - they exert far too much tension for it and will fold it in two.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

michael

Posted Wed Jun 3rd, 2009 10:39pm Post subject: fix it thread?
I suggest Big Road Blues, go to the Equipment thread and tell them Maxx sent you. They're a laid back crowd, so you won't get people trying to score points off you or put you down. It's probably not worth the effort to fix, but if it's a good manufacturer, it might be worth trying. One thing, never put steel strings on a nylon strung guitar - they exert far too much tension for it and will fold it in two.

yeah honestly i was wondering if that's how it got broke in the first place! someone treating it like something it wasn't meant to be. there weren't strings on it, and no tuners.

i don't mind putting in effort just for fun, i like fixing stuff. something that's not worth the effort or $ for some people is worth it for me, cause a) i need to stay busy and b) i live on very little money and this i got free. just not sure if it's possible to fix it. (kinda like finding a bird with an arrow stuck in it...fix it, let it be, put it down...?)

it says "giannini" inside and is from 1977.(and so am i, lol) probably only worth $50 even if it was fixed....i dunno.

i'll go check out your forum ; ) thanks for the tip!!

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

PamJH

Posted Thu Jun 4th, 2009 12:49am Post subject: fix it thread?
I can't tell my daughter about this poor guitar. She'd want to wrap it in a quilt and give it hot chocolate. I hope you can fix it, Michael. It would be good to know someone got some use out of it.