Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

TheTruth

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 1:54pm Post subject: Flowers
Hello everyone. As I spend most of my time in the slotmd forum I thought I'd engage in some everyday chit chat.

There is someone I want to buy flowers for, someone very special to me just to let her know how I feel towards her as my mouth usually says something different to what my mind is thinking. I've never really bought flowers for anyone before and would love to know what would be the best kind of flower/s to give to her?

Or if you've got any other ideas on romantic gestures I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks

WhyGenTom

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 4:54pm Post subject: Flowers
i always think jewellery's the best romantic gift to give someone... that way it'll last forever and you can get something that has meaning. So if you know she likes somin specific you can play to that taste... if you know what i mean. Just don't get her a ring

Flowers... bit corny I rekon lol.

- Tom

Ffrioserch

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 5:43pm Post subject: Flowers
Flowers are not corny! Well, they're not for everyone, I know, but a nice bunch of flowers is a lovely gesture - just don't buy them from a supermarket or garage, and only buy red roses if you're confident she feels something for you. Otherwise, just a mixed bunch of two or so colours. Wish someone would buy me flowers ...

Maren

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 5:52pm Post subject: Flowers
i always think jewellery's the best romantic gift to give someone.

uff, really? I don't know, I wouldn't like it ... if someone would like to treat me I must admit that I would prefer a rare bottle of wine, or an invitation to the theatre or a concert or a very good restaurant
And jewellry can be a bit overstated - I think it depends on the relationship and how good you know the person.
And I think flowers are not corny if you like flowers but what kind of flowers would be the best ... hmm, difficult if you don't know what kind of flowers your friend likes. Perhaps you can describe her and the reason to a florist, tell him/her how much money you would spend and see if the florist has an idea.

Shyamz

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 6:14pm Post subject: Flowers
You could always try putting together a CD of songs you think best describe your thoughts (romantic or otherwise), if you find it hard to say things. I know that works for a lot of people.

Most people apreceiate one of those as they're more personal and take some thought.

Other than that, bright flowers like tulips gerberas and things are quite nice. Go with the person's favourite colours, that's a pretty safe bet.
(If romance isn't on the cards, be carefull of roses...they have connotations attached to them of a rather love-related nature).

ysabella

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 6:33pm Post subject: Flowers
Jewelry might seem a little much. I like the CD idea a lot. And I agree, when it comes to flowers, it depends on whether she likes them.

It's not money, but thought, that will make a meaningful gift. And I hope she likes it.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 6:39pm Post subject: Flowers
If you don't know the person that well jewellery would be well ott. I'd probably be a bit creeped out to be honest. If you don't know the person too well flowers would be better. A lovely mix of colours and flowers bought from a florist.

Assuming direct control...

JSKanga84

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 6:55pm Post subject: Flowers
I'd happily accept a nice bouquet, myself, but like others have said, it really depends on what your relationship is with the person in question.

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Apr 24th, 2008 6:52am Post subject: Flowers
I agree that jewellery would be over the top. I'm not someone who is impressed by costly gifts, as ysabella said it's the thought and the gesture that are important. If she likes flowers, then a bouquet of spring flowers might be a good idea. I also like the idea of a CD. Has she ever mentioned a book or a DVD she doesn't have yet but always wanted?

Help

Posted Thu Apr 24th, 2008 9:48am Post subject: Flowers
I don't like flowers, they just die in the end and make you feel depressed...
well unless that's just me?

JSKanga84

Posted Thu Apr 24th, 2008 3:16pm Post subject: Flowers
Yeah, it's kind of depressing when they wilt, but sometimes they can be dried and stay pretty.

Maren

Posted Thu Apr 24th, 2008 4:33pm Post subject: Flowers
but nothing will stay the same eternally...

WhyGenTom

Posted Thu Apr 24th, 2008 5:26pm Post subject: Flowers
but nothing will stay the same eternally...

... apart from love? Which is the centiment that wants to be expressed surely?

Occy

Posted Fri Apr 25th, 2008 9:32am Post subject: Flowers
a dozen red roses are a classic - not corny at all - but personally i think that is for a declaration of love - not like, strong like or even really really like.

perhaps yellow roses?

jewellery for someone you are just getting to know is difficult because you dont always know their tastes

no ones ever sent me flowers BOOHOO

Maren

Posted Fri Apr 25th, 2008 11:09am Post subject: Flowers
.. apart from love? Which is the centiment that wants to be expressed surely?

when I don't see "love" as an abstract category but as a concrete emotion between two (ore more) people I must say: it doesn't stay the same - the love I feel for a special person is not exactly the same from day to day and not the same over the years. In my opinion a feeling that never changes represents lifelessness.
And as we all know it happens that love ends, and when we vanish of course our love will vanish too.
But that's how life works - without transformation there would be no life.

And some flowers solely for Occy: