Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

WhyGenTom

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2008 3:26am Post subject: Focus
Why can't I read a book without getting bored, I sit down for 5 fucking minutes turning the pages thinking I'm making good progress when something comes up in it and I realise I haven't taken a fucking word in since the damn thing started. Am I retarded or what? I just can't read books...
I can sit down and listen to music for hours on end without getting iritable, I can play my guitar for as long as my eyes stay open and I can write until the cows come home, and maybe even write when the cows get home.. assuming the cows inspire me in some way. Perhaps they've had in interesting escepuet... spelling? I don't do spelling, spelling is for the well educated, if it wasn't for the likes of me being stupid, some of you's wouldn't be considered smart. Appreciate my thicko people! woohoo!

This was just a quick rant to see how quickly I lost commitment in a topic. Seems it happened a few times... I even lost faith in the whole thing quite quickly. Ugh. My focus is non-existant...

Panja

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2008 3:57am Post subject: Focus
I'm the same way with books, it takes me a long time to really get into them and concentrate on what's being said. I can read the same paragraph 5 times and not hold on to any of what I just read. It's even more frustrating because I can't read very often to begin with because of my headaches and there are so many books I want to read. Lately I've started listening to audiobooks and I've found them really enjoyable and not as frustrating as reading. Maybe you could give them a try?

Piera

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2008 5:36am Post subject: Focus
Do you have other things on your mind when reading? That tends to be my problem.

My favourite thing to do when there is nothing to do is sit outside a coffee shop reading, but as soon as someone sits nearby or I overhear constant laughter, I can read the same sentence over and over for an hour.

In college, I had the exact same problem where I could do virtually anything, but when it came to reading and homework, I couldn't sit still and concentrate for the life of me. I understand your frustration.

WhyGenTom

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2008 5:21pm Post subject: Focus
I think I just lack the imagination to turn words into something more real. It's frustrating to see people who are so into books, and have a genuine love for them and I just can't seem to do it.

Britannicus

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2008 5:25pm Post subject: Focus
I don't think it has anything to do with your ability to imagine. There was a period not long ago when I couldn't focus on books at all; I couldn't read anything new for almost two and a half years. But now I can. I don't know what causes it and I don't know how I got out of it...it doesn't seem to have to be permanent though.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Red Raven

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2008 5:37pm Post subject: Focus
Tom, maybe it's just a crappy book. I mean, there are some books that completely suck me in and have their way with me and some that are like oil and water with me. Usually it's because the book is crap that I can't get "into" it. Maybe that's the case with you. You're certainly not retarded. Just try another book.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 7:05am Post subject: Focus
Maybe you're just not a book person? *shrug* It's possible to like the IDEA of something but not like the actual doing of it. I like the idea of sports for example, but I hate to participate. In fact I like the idea of watching sports and actually find myself mind numbingly bored by watching them on telly. Maybe reading for pleasure is the same for you?

WhyGenTom

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 7:49pm Post subject: Focus
Well I've only read 1 book in my entire life - Age of Spiritual Machines by Ray Kurzweil because it absolutely capitvated me, and the way that mans mind works is frightening. I thought about George Orwell's 1981 but it looked a little long... lol.

Maybe it is that I'm just not a book person, I just hate it when I see threads on here about great books, and one particularly nasty one about 'dating a non-reader' or something along those lines... I feel like a damn minority lol. It's not such a big deal, I just wonder why I can't do something so mundane...

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 8:20pm Post subject: Focus
My mum used to be like that. She never read books. Wouldn't read them for pleasure or school or anything. She could never get into them at all. It wasn't until she was in her late 30s that she suddenly clicked with reading and now she reads books all the time. It might happen for you one day too. You might find the right book and it all just clicks.

Assuming direct control...

ysabella

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 8:21pm Post subject: Focus
I do that occasionally. I realize I'm not absorbing what I'm reading. And I've had books I had to give up on. I haven't had it happen with every book, though.

I hope it goes away!

karen m

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 10:59pm Post subject: Focus
don't worry whygen i feel like an idiot most of the time on here, i love books and cn st down and read them through but then there are other times when i read two or three pages and just switch off and can't remember anything i've read, give up and throw the book aside. i went through a stage of not being able to read books for long enough, probably due to reading being ruined by having to scrutinise every word in exams which meant i wasn't reading for pleasure at all and everything i read had been over analysed

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 16th, 2008 3:40am Post subject: Focus
Aw, Tom, don't worry about it and don't feel dumb or any such thing. People have their own interests, we're not required to like the same things (and besides, that would be really boring).

WhyGenTom

Posted Wed Apr 16th, 2008 6:08pm Post subject: Focus
Aw, Tom, don't worry about it and don't feel dumb or any such thing. People have their own interests, we're not required to like the same things (and besides, that would be really boring).

That's what I always believed, and I always thought maybe it was an age thing and I'd grow into it but that hasn't happened either... infact I've probably gotten worse.

I never used to be able to listen to the radio either because it seemed like a wasted sense... and I got bored too easily, but that's changed. So I dunno what it is... maybe I'm just not a book person, it just seems a pain that all intillectual types seem to find such joy in reading and it's basically beyond me.

- Tom

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 16th, 2008 11:40pm Post subject: Focus

That's what I always believed, and I always thought maybe it was an age thing and I'd grow into it but that hasn't happened either... infact I've probably gotten worse.

I never used to be able to listen to the radio either because it seemed like a wasted sense... and I got bored too easily, but that's changed. So I dunno what it is... maybe I'm just not a book person, it just seems a pain that all intillectual types seem to find such joy in reading and it's basically beyond me.

- Tom

I dunno what to say Tom. :/

j9r

Posted Thu Apr 17th, 2008 12:00am Post subject: Focus

- Tom

I don't really read - it's too much work. I love movies, tv, plays, etc. I have friends who read constantly and it is hard when I have never read this book they think is pivotal, but I am old enough now that I just make them explain it to me and what they get from it. Or we just talk about other things. I need the visual stimulus as well. Everybody is different, just accept that and go on.

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka