Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Occy

Posted Thu Apr 17th, 2008 12:40am Post subject: Focus
speaking as a teacher it sounds as if you might have a learning disability.

Doesn't mean you're retarded - just means there's a possibility your brain has difficulty processing language in the process between the eyes and the brain.

You CAN train your brain to read by starting with short things - newspaper articles, comic books etc

That's just what it sounds like - I could be talking complete crap

WhyGenTom

Posted Sat Apr 19th, 2008 5:05pm Post subject: Focus
well it's not that I can't read. I mean I love reading newspapers and the threads on here... it's just trying to turn words into something more than information, and retaining it long-term rather than just reading it and then forgetting it. I dunno if that makes sense :p lol

- Tom

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Apr 19th, 2008 7:15pm Post subject: Focus
It doesn't sound like a learning disorder to me. It just sounds like its not your interest. I really wouldn't worry about it Tom. It's just a part of you. If other people feel the need to be judgemental about it then, well, that says a lot more about them than you.

And I understand wanting to share your friends interest, I do. I have friends who are madly into sports and I really, really want to be as well....but I just do NOT care. I can watch the hockey (thank goodness I moved to Canada) but football, soccer, etc....my brain just shuts off after about 4 minutes.

A little more in line with your worries about reading and their social/cultural capital would be my own mild aversion to art galleries. I quite like contemporary art, but even then I'm not the type to spend a whole afternoon in a gallery. I go in, I go fast, and I'm out. Does this make me uncouth? Some people think so, but its just how I am. *shrug* You can't let snotty, superior people ruin your day because they will ALWAYS find something to make you feel subpar about.

Panja

Posted Sun Apr 20th, 2008 4:05am Post subject: Focus
well it's not that I can't read. I mean I love reading newspapers and the threads on here... it's just trying to turn words into something more than information, and retaining it long-term rather than just reading it and then forgetting it. I dunno if that makes sense :p lol

- Tom

Sounds familar. I can read something and be fully interested and engaged while reading it, but as soon as I put it down I completely forget most of what I just read. It's frustrating.

WhyGenTom

Posted Mon Apr 21st, 2008 5:27pm Post subject: Focus
It doesn't sound like a learning disorder to me. It just sounds like its not your interest. I really wouldn't worry about it Tom. It's just a part of you. If other people feel the need to be judgemental about it then, well, that says a lot more about them than you.

And I understand wanting to share your friends interest, I do. I have friends who are madly into sports and I really, really want to be as well....but I just do NOT care. I can watch the hockey (thank goodness I moved to Canada) but football, soccer, etc....my brain just shuts off after about 4 minutes.

A little more in line with your worries about reading and their social/cultural capital would be my own mild aversion to art galleries. I quite like contemporary art, but even then I'm not the type to spend a whole afternoon in a gallery. I go in, I go fast, and I'm out. Does this make me uncouth? Some people think so, but its just how I am. *shrug* You can't let snotty, superior people ruin your day because they will ALWAYS find something to make you feel subpar about.

wow so many things to adress here lol.

1) I adore NHL / Ice Hockey but we don't get it over here. Apart from once a week at 4am on channel 5... and I have been known to stay up for Stanley Cup the night before an exam 2 years running
With that said I do like (our) football. But then the atmosphere of English football's alot more capitivating I guess.. basically a cult in some cases lol.

2) I don't really feel judged for it. I just feel like it pushes me away from a lot of people, and I feel maybe I'm missing out on something. For example, I look to the right to see an advert banned for Stephen Fry's books... I'm sure I could well be sacrificed for stating I haven't read, don't intend to read or even own one... not because I don't want to, but because I'll buy it and it'll get buried under dust.

You made me feel better though, I knew I probably wasn't alone... and it was probably just my personality perhaps warped by the internet-nation. I used to think it was my depression that destroyed my focus, but this forum alone has proved me wrong on that as many people here are struggling with depression, and use reading as an escape... so I dunno. I'm sure you're right.

And Panja I'm kinda glad I'm not alone, although I agree it is frustrating. Maybe one day we'll find our cure

Thanks both of ya

- Tom