Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Menna

Posted Sat Jan 31st, 2009 11:57pm Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
OK - so I'm on a diet, which means I am now totally obsessed by food in a way that I never was before the diet started.
I'd prepared food, eaten it and enjoyed it and yes I admit it, I've probably enjoyed it a bit too much! Although, like many others, my work day is spent stuck behind a desk at my beloved computer and rushing round (in the car) and so lack of regular exercise seems to have been a creeping catalyst. I've hardly noticed the weight go on, having been in total denial for sometime now...
Still, having come to terms with the fact that the scales don't lie (now I have actually invested in a pair) I admit it, I do have a problem and so I am quietly tackling both the food/diet and exercise requirements identified.
However, there have been some interesting tweets lately from SF and others referencing some yummy foodie fun moments they have enjoyed i.e. what they have just eaten and where, all fascinating stuff to some of us.
I would therefore enjoy some low cal, or kcal free thoughts about food, diets and dieting (so much pressure these days, and many people are made to feel guilty about what they simply can't afford to buy etc.). I even found myself preparing a curry today and wishing that chicken was a vegetable... guilty...
As for me, I just want to feel a lot fitter and be able to wear a floaty dress again (it has been years); I need to lose 3 stone min, or 4, if I want to be wafer thin for my build, but at 47, I do at least have the confidence to be myself, no need and no ambition to aim for the catwalk!
Therefore I have signed up to Weight Watchers online, which is a very good way for me to work out my kcals and stick to a plan, as crowded weigh-ins at the local village hall (or dieting by public humiliation) may work for many, but sadly not for me, I've tried it... and failed miserably, as you see.
So positive comments and funny experiences appreciated, how to or not to diet?! How to keep the weight off when you have lost it, what to eat or not eat... exercises I can do while at my desk, on my Mac/iPhone, does Wii Fit actually work (I don't have one!) ! ...HELP..! xx

Menna

Posted Sun Feb 1st, 2009 5:55pm Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
Like low cal to no cal roasted veg? Very easy for all you busy bees!

Chop loads of fav veg into similar sizes (chunky cut is best) - spray roasting tin/dish once with olive oil low cal "spray" then add veg, spray the veg with the oil again (just one squirt), don't cover, stick in the top half of oven until roasted, occasionally move veg about to prevent sticking during cooking...

Top Tip: Don't ever over-cook veg!

Eat with baked salmon or any fish you like, as Omega 3 is very good for your brain (and other places too) yummy! I think Stephen would love this one....

PamJH

Posted Sun Feb 1st, 2009 6:32pm Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
You know what helps me? Walking, and then more walking. We live in the country, so the roads are treacherous this time of year, and that does limit me some. But whenever I can, I try for at least a little bit, a half-mile or even a lot more. It clears the brain.

WW online is a good deal. It's cheaper than meetings, which many people don't like, and all the info is right on the web site.

I'm 48, so it's a constant struggle and I don't always succeed. No one's perfect, after all. Just do the best you can every day. That's all we can do.

Beans and more beans: If you buy them by the can, then rinse the salt and goo off. I add these to salads and just about everything else. Black beans are an especial favorite around here since both my kids are vegetarians.

gjhsu

Posted Sun Feb 1st, 2009 8:02pm Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
Agreed with Pam.

I find exercise, as painful as it may be, is far superior than dieting. Plus, I just can't see giving up my most favorite of unhealthy foods.

Menna

Posted Sun Feb 1st, 2009 8:44pm Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
Thanks PamJH, so much for such a positive posting and for your thoughts and ideas too plus confirmation about WW Online (I don't know anyone else who has used it); I know you are right about the walking (and beans too ;-)), actually I love walking but think I am slightly agoraphobic, can't bare going out on my own, although I do manage to, so long as it's local (totally irrational I know). Although today I dragged out eco-hubby (he loves walking) and went out for a lovely (but freezing) hours walk and took photos as evidence!!

Sadly, it has been all too easy this Winter not to go out for walks on the dull, dark mornings (before I go to work) or in the darker danker evenings (when I get home from work); I admit I have been all too happy not to go out much at all, but cook supper and then snuggle up by the fire with laptop and iPhone - keeping in touch with far flung offspring, family and friends around the world is a time consuming but enjoyable...

Like PamJH, I also live in the countryside and it's really dark out there, as no street lights where I live, which is actually quite wonderful on a clear night, seeing the stars in all their twinkling glory, but it is very dark, wet, muddy and miserable during the winter, and this has provided me with a great excuse not to go out walking during a busy working week but 'no more...' (I cry) ...'buy a torch' I hear someone thinking out loud... you are probably right, but I shall have to drag eco-hubby and teen no.4 (another story) out with me for security, good company & fun banter of course... Oh if only our lives were that simple and easy to coordinate/organise!

So if anyone has any more tips about getting out and about, plus perhaps you could recommend a friendly exercise DVD for when I am stuck indoors (cottage sized rooms, not large house). Perhaps yoga or something - for beginners? More foodie ideas appreciated too - thanks again PamJH x

Please do join the foodie chat in this Fab Fry up Fest! x x

------------------------------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one..." Albert Einstein

ClareBear

Posted Sun Feb 1st, 2009 8:52pm Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
I've never dieted, eat what I like, when I like, how I like. Never joined a gym....then again,my jobs have usually been physically demanding.

an easy tip: start a vegetable patch. the soilwok will do wonders.

Menna

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 2:35am Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
Hi gjhsu & Carebear - Well exercise seems to get the general thumbs up as the catalyst of weight loss - it does seem that regular exercise and eating smaller meals and identifying more foods with NO or fewer cal/kcals, actually works!

However, miracle and speed dieting doesn't work, or diets that don't incorporate much or exercise, as weight lost won't stay off for long... (we all remember the fattening pigs scenario, apparently it works really well on us human too - yuk!)

It's true, I have always lost weight during the summer months without dieting, as I lead a much more physical and less stressful outdoor life (weather permitting!). However, last summer in the UK was a total washout, certainly down in the SW, very disappointing indeed, as we Brits had waited patiently during the bleak Winter months for some long days of sunshine and warmth and a year later we are still waiting...

But meanwhile like many others, I simply want to turn negative into positive, face the demons of denial and start losing some weight and getting fitter, for the sake of my health and happiness, not to become a model or an athlete, but darn, it should be easier than this... but it isn't...

I certainly think 'will power' and 'wanting' to do this plays a huge part too, so I will try to stay positive, even when I err, as clearly, I'm facing a bigger challenge than I had really anticipated when starting out, as it's not just about the dieting, losing some weight and getting fitter at all, it's about changing my life - woah -

So the toughest bit is going to be keeping those lost lbs off (if I can ever achieve my target weight) and I can only do that with a complete re-think, a total change of attitude, possibly even a change of job (unless they introduce a keep fit program during my lunch break, but I don't take a lunch break...) I know I need pushing, encouraging, forcing through this; I know I have to find some ME time too, so I can get into a simple daily exercise routine and get out and about more (regardless of the season or companions), I have to be brave and just do it... Crikey!

Well, in order to get started and re-educate myself ('old dog' and 'new tricks' springs to mind!), I will try to commit to and stick with the WW Online plan as a first step (well at least for the two weeks free trial... only joking!), as it has enabled me to see that portion size and 'quantity' really does matter... although I have to say that I am a little concerned about 'quality' and 'flavour' of some low cal prepackaged foods I have tried this week (eww!) as I'm not sure where that's gone to (a subject for another post me thinks...!) the solution is - that I will have to prepare own foods, which will mean the whole family is on the diet, solution is - I won't tell them!

However, I have also discovered that some foods, fruit and veg, that I thought were low or cal/kcal FREE are not - 8-O. Plus it is useful to track everything I eat daily online, but it is vital to be honest about this, as I am only kidding myself if am I not...!

As for what I have been eating up until now to get into my cuddly condition of 14st3.2lb when I should be between 9st &10st (I aiming at a 10st target, as I think that is more realistic for my build, although I am not convinced that I can actually achieve that) as well, I come from good farming stock although I am not married into farming; however, I am lucky enough to have a greenhouse and a good sized veg patch and I enjoy growing/gardening. I learned to cook by watching/helping my Mom, like her I rarely use a recipe book other than when looking for new meal twist, or at the pictures for serving ideas and then I do it my way!

I don't own kitchen weigh scales/measuring cups, I prepare almost everything from fresh, we tend to eat what we grow so when crops are in season we eat them, except in the winter when salads, fresh and freezer fruit and veg are bought from local grocer or farm shop. We do tend to eventually run out of our homegrown veg during the winter or find that we only have leeks left for three months; we grow organic, although the weather makes this a bit hit and miss.

I cook simple, yes healthy country fare... not fancy, fiddly, confusing foods! However, I do come from the land of cornish pasties, scones jam and clotted cream, not that we locals actually eat these wonderful foods quite as often as you might think!

However, as a positive, I only buy 1 small (1/2kg) bag of sugar a month and I NEVER use salt when cooking veg... and only very tiny amounts of sea salt when cooking fish and other dishes if absolutely necessary. Processed foods are just full of sugar and salt; they totally disguise the natural flavour of good quality foods, so try using less salt or no salt, or use Fish or Soy sauces instead, which are salty anyway. Cooking veg is an art too, I only boil swed and potatoes if I am mashing, otherwise steam veg, or try dry roasting in a non stick pan, don't use fat/oil, or salt! You'll be amazed at how many people have never tasted food without it being dowsed in salt. I seem to remember that too much salt encourages water retention and high blood pressure and that babies and small children should never have salt added to their food; so at least I must be doing some thing right... a tiny pinch of salt goes a long way for us adults... and in my case, so does regular exercise, as lack of this is clearly my biggest problem... and the main reason for gradual weight gain over the years.

However, back to plan, it's weigh-in day and the scales never lie... 2lb 4oz lost... boo sucks... a bit deflated, as it doesn't seem like very much, but must get a grip immediately, only first week and also only one proper walk too, 'am' loosing weight slowly, which I have been told is the most effective way, so 'whoopee' time to say goodbye... to those unwanted lbs at last!

Anyone else out there doing this too? How you are getting on? xxx xxx

---------------------------
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." Albert Einstein

Jarus

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 4:30pm Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
Lately I've been forcing myself out of the 'you must clear your plate' mentality and generally cutting back on what I eat. I'm not starving myself, but it dawned on me that I probably don't need that extra sausage on my plate to survive and that the logic of; eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper, is irresistable.

I personally wouldn't weigh myself if I was making an attempt to eat more healthily/get fit/lose weight (these three do go hand in hand) you know far better than any set of scales how healthy you are. Also weighing yourself often leads to targets and when you inevitably fail it's quite easy to comfort eat and then a vicious cycle ensues.

I also find that an added benefit of my dog is that he forces me to go out walking for miles, he sweeps aside any excuses I might normally use to dissuade myself from going out: to cold, to wet, I'm tired, etc because I have to go.

gjhsu

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 6:11pm Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
Also, remember to set a realistic "target weight." DO NOT TRUST BODY-MASS-INDEX. That measure assumes that all bodies are made equal, and that's just not the case.

I, for example, weigh in at an otherwise portly 195lb (roughly 14st for you English), but turns out bone density just runs high in my family. I don't look all too fat (ok, bit around the middle, but it doesn't bother me), but according to BMI, I am almost obese.

Just do what you have to do, but don't let it get you down... that usually leads to poor results. Have fun with it, document the journey, let others know how you're doing. It's the age of the Internets - make use of it!

In the interest of full disclosure, I may be all talk, but I don't really watch my weight at all - I just go for what feels right.

PamJH

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 11:00pm Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
Some people I know have bought the Wii Fit system and say it's a lot of fun to do, especially when the weather is nasty. I think they're kind of expensive, though.

Menna

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 1:29am Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
Hello dear Jarus and gjhsu - thank you so much for your kind encouragements and for sharing your ideas and experiences. Very interesting and did make me smile too!

I have to admit that I didn't have any bathroom scales until last week and now find myself standing on them before and after work to see how many ounces I have lost/gained, morning, noon and night! I do hope the novelty wears off soon... as it's rather depressing reading... but have to remember it is only the beginning of week two, so there might some more positive stats to come!

Interestingly enough, my new scales are also supposed to measure my BMI too; however after setting them up to weight just 'me' and do all the whizzy calculations, all I get is an 'error' message and after resetting them over and over again, they will not work out my BMI, oh dear, so a bit curious, I checked out my BMI via the Internet and oh dear what a shock! !

So gjhsu (I think we maybe twins!), after the BMI experience, I am having a Mary Whitehouse moment and thinking that the 'O' word should be banned, why 'label' negative things about people all the time? You never hear good or positive things about people given labels?! Why is that?!

Anyway, it's certainly one label that I don't want to wear any more. However, having read what you say about bones and build etc. I am sure you are right, and I do take comfort from knowing that I am indeed 'unique' and that 'general' measurements taken to measure BMI generally simply do not allow for my personal physical individualism; umm, I'm feel better already!

Oh, I DO love dog walking! Such fun, specially for the dog! Unfortunately our dear, wonderful old retriever died couple of years ago, giving me the freedom I always craved when he was alive, not to have to go out walking... in all weathers, dear old chap, he would be horrified at how lazy I have gotten without him there to nag me!

Yes, it's all becoming clearer now and boiling down to the upping of 'exercise' rather than 'downing' of food... (if you see what I mean!) But I am delighted to be reminded about the king, prince and pauper scenario too - yes that does make real sense, except (oddly) and I do wonder if this a 'female' thing (sorry girls - one for a Poll I think?), I do have one real problem with it and it is a bizarre one in that I am never ever, hungry at breakfast time! In fact I don't want to eat then at all, there is simply no desire for food at all...!

Plus it is rear for me to feel thirsty too, so I don't eat breakfast and I forget to drink... weird... or what?!

I do think in my case, from listening to want everyone has said, that I do need to inject more discipline into eating regular meals and forcing down much more fluid too, while exercising regularly... sounds so easy... I have to be strict with myself, it's time to adopt a 'routine' for living a healthier life and to give up feeding on demand... clearly I have been rebelling (I was a Dr Spock baby in the early 60's)...

So, while I do still feel I need (and want) to shed some 'stones' simply for me and my health; I will perhaps need to be a lot more realistic about my goal weight too, as I am not and have never been a 'petite' build, and I can not regardless of tends, peer or government pressure, ever hope to look like the stunning Twiggie (as much as i would love to!). All I can aim to do is be the best and most comfortable I can be, for me...

So I intend to stick to weekly weigh-ins, and not torment myself on a day-to-day bases (as life is quite stressful enough!) and I do have the scale now, so seems a shame not to use them! I am keen to go out on more walks, so no excuses anymore, whatever the weather is like and if necessary, I will borrow a dog as walking is defiantly fun with a doggy companion or indeed a human companion - as I really don't like walking alone. Yes... walking is going to be fun...

Well it's snowing hard in SW England now (hurray, at last), I have been watching news of snow causing chaos everywhere else in UK today, with infrastructure grinding to a halt (as always happens here) and now, at last, it is snowing here too... Therefore, I hope to be snowed in by tomorrow morning for a day or two (at least), as I love it when there is no traffic, no sound of machines, just peace and the laughter of families playing in the snow, a rural white wilderness where I live - wonderful!

However, I digress, slightly, as I hope to be working from home tomorrow, building snow-people and going for white winter walks... bliss... isn't snow exciting when you're not used to it! I will look into the Wii Fit too and do some costings (they are expensive here too) however, money saved on food bill might mean I can afford to save up for one...?! Time will tell! I would like borrow one in order to have a go first, and just to see what all the fuss is about before the investment - the young people in my family seem to think they are great! Research... time, me thinks!

Well, snow or not, the points and cal/kcals will still have to be counted and recorded, with a daily allowance of 22 points to spend wisely. I have noted that slimming food in freezing weather conditions is a bit of a challenge! So if there are any soup addicts out there with ideas about what I can do with a slightly limp cabbage and lots of onions, let me know, as in all the excitement I forgot that snow & ice will prevent me veg shopping next few days...! xxx xxx
-------------------------------------

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts..." Albert Einstein

PamJH

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 3:50am Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
I wish you the best of luck; making changes in habits is never easy. I rarely drink enough water (a WW no-no) and frigid days are enough to keep me inside. But we don't have to be rigid about these things. I think we need to do enough to make ourselves feel good about who we are and how we look.

You're very good at personal insights. I'd like to work on that for myself.

Nitro

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 4:09am Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
My apologies if this is a bit long, but I know some things about fitness having been a competitive athlete once upon a time. Coaches, gyms, proper nutrients...all burned into my brain I'm afraid. I'm just going to throw some stuff out in no certain order, but some are things people forget or don't know.

Losing weight and losing fat are not entirely the same thing. In fact, the body tends to 'let go' of muscle quicker than fat. So people will lose weight, but the wrong kind of weight.

Building muscle causes a biochemical reaction in the body that triggers it to burn fat. 'Burn fat' is a slang term for an actual chemical process that is a result of fat cells releasing fatty acids ( often made of sugar aka simple carbs ). Here's the catch of building muscle: You gain weight. BUT, you gain the healthier kind of weight.

Beans by themselves are a simple amino acid and are not helpful in building muscle tissue. But, combined with a starch ( in smaller quantitiy ) become a complex protein ( muscle 'food ).

Most people consume far less protein in a day than they should, especially women.

In order to trigger the biochemical signal to your bodys fat cells to release 'fat' ( to keep things simple here ), you must stress the big muscles in your body ( legs, primarily ). Doing this causes your oxygen demands to increase ( heavier breathing ). This is why any cardio exercise should be included in any attempt to lose excess fat. The caveat? You should be able to still talk to someone or sing, though neither done as if you're sitting down, without gulping for air. If you're cardio stress goes overboard ( being able to still talk is the ruler, iow ), your body actually will stop the signals to your fat cells to 'shrink'.

Everyone is born with a certain number of fat cells. You don't acquire more. They simply get bloated and filled with junk. Their ability to expand is wild.

Caloric restriction becomes less necessary the more you exercise.

To build up your stamina levels, do wind-sprints. If you walk at a quick pace for one minute, suddenly increase your pace for 30 seconds, then dial it back down. Do this throughout your walk and you will, over time, find yourself able to sustain a quicker pace longer. Which is good if you're trying to burn fat.

Any food diet should be less about subtraction and more about addition. Slowly over a month begin introducing/ addinghealthier food into your diet ( if it's too high in starches for instance, start introducing some sort of complex protein ). The reason for this is you didn't get to an unhealthy diet overnight, you're not going to get to a better one overnight. It allows your brain to adjust to new tastes, to begin enjoying them and etc etc. Over time, you will notice you eat chocolate cake, for instance, less often and crave it less often.

You do not have to walk to tax the big muscles in your body. Holding the kitchen counter with one hand, simply do deep knee bends ( safely ) for ten minutes. Do lunges across your living room for five. The point is you want to introduce exercise slowly, not suddenly. Again, it's really about re-programming your brain. If exercise is something you detest, introduce it slowly. Sudden changes in diet and exercise very rarely 'stick' and become a part of your life or something you come to enjoy.

Do not deny yourself the occasional indulgence wether it's pizza or cake or milkshakes. BTW, you can make a very tasty low fat, high protein milkshake simply by using non-fat peanut butter, lowfat or non-fat frozen yogurt, and 2% milk. Blend it up in whichever flavors suit you most. I slay my friends with my own concoction all the time. "What? That's GOOD for me? But it tastes too good!" LOL

There are certain genetics passed to you that are unavoidable and that's true. However, that's no liscence to give up on your own health and throw caution to the wind. ("Nevermind, my whole family's fat!" )

Accept that you will often feel like an utter hypocrite, even if you get really healthy. Primarily because you will probably still eat and want to eat 'bad' food. I say do it! You get no rewards at the end of your life for having been the king or queen of self-denial. If you REALLY want to eat that thing, eat it and be done with it. Don't look back either. Just continue ADDING newer and better foods to your diet and don't concentrate so hard on what's 'bad'.

Do occasionally get a check up and blood work with your doctor.

One thing to subtract from your diet is the word 'diet' itself. Diet implies restriction anymore, no matter it's literal definition.

Many restaurants add one simple ingredient to make everything taste really, really good: whole butter. Lots and lots of butter X-D I love butter and can't imagine not using it on certain things. I just tend not to shovel it on. But damn the person to oblivion who suggests a life without it. That's too cruel.

Play with new seasonings and don't bully your food so hard with salt. Use it, just use it less and some new herbs and stuff more

Pay attention to your cravings. If your body wants something sweet it could just be trying to say,"I'm not feeling very energetic." So, feed it a banana or mango or some grapes. If you suddenly desire chocolate, it might be a good idea to have a little. Chocolate has a way of balancing mood, decreasing edginess. Many women crave chocolate just prior to their periods. X-D In that case, I say let them have it!

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 4:21am Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
I forgot the bit about adding a starch to the beans, darn it. I made vegetable bean soup for dinner and added noodles to that, and my daughter made whole-wheat biscuits to go with it.

My two vegetarians are required to eat eggs and whole-wheat toast twice a week (we have hens and boy, do they produce), and they also eat peanut butter on whole wheat. They also like whole-wheat tortillas with refried beans. I worry a lot about their protein intake, but they seem healthy so far.

Nitro, thanks for adding to the discussion. I've forgotten a lot about different aspects of health and exercise. It's good to get a reminder.

ClareBear

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 9:37am Post subject: Food... a Fabulous Fry Up?! (sorry!)
Also remember it's not necessarily weight you're trying to lose, as muscle weights more than fat