Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Jan 11th, 2009 10:49pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
I thought I'd treat you, as you're all so lovely, not only to some caps, but to some transcripts as well.

A Question of Kiwis

So! I’ve seen the beauty – the magisterial beauties – of South Island and the Fjordland and all that it has to offer and now I’m back up here in the North, this time to see kiwis whereas the whole point of coming to New Zealand was to see the kakapo - that’s what Douglas and Mark wrote about - but Mark’s deciding to be like Yoda, and he won’t let his pupil anywhere near the final prize until he’s undergone through all these strange initiation rites that seem to involve going to see every small and unremarkable animal in the entire Southern hemisphere…that’s probably somewhat unfair, they are quite remarkable, certainly really pleased today that we managed to see that little kiwi – I suppose it is the symbol and it’s fair to see that. What I’ve got now is I think some idea at least of how and why New Zealand is such a unique habitat. It’s this extraordinary sense of millions of year of separate evolution that by chance happened to have no mammals, and these birds quite sensibly at the time lost the need to fly and to be afraid. Uh – little did they know that in thousands of years time a tall Englishman would disturb their peace and if only they had evolved for that, ay! Hmm!

More to come...

mp xxxx

@dreamingshadow

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Jan 11th, 2009 11:33pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
(I don't know whether 'Koari' and 'Maori' is right, they're just guesses, but it sounded something like that)

A time for anagrams

S: These are big ones aren’t they!
M: They are, these are what it’s all about – this is the Koari tree which is why it’s called the Koari forest of course, and it’s one of the special trees in this part of the North Island. It’s an extraordinary thing.
S: I see. What’s this extraordinary resin that they seem to be weeping?
M: Yeah, the gum. It’s actually been used by the Moari, originally the Maori to chew like chewing gum and so on and the Europeans then used it to make paint and varnish and what have you. What makes it really special as you can see is that it’s really straight and really tall and there are no branches in the lower part of the tree, they only come out at the top, and so there’s no knots, it’s fantastic for shipbuilding, you can make masts, make the hull and so on, so when the Europeans arrived they chopped a lot down specially to make ships.
S: And are they - I can’t tell from the top, are they – do they shed their leaves?
M: Um they’re conifers.
S: Oh! They’re conifers.
M: Yeah.
S: But they’re not dropping any cones at this time of year?
M: No. What’s lovely about this one is its bark.
S: Lovely mottled pattern.
M: Yeah, it sort of peels off and leaves these scars all the way up.
S: And this: this one is two, they’ve fused, one of them’s won the battle.
M: Two, yeah, one taller than another. They grow huge, I was reading once about one, they grow to four or five metres across, really big trees and very tall.
S: It’s one of those odd things about the English language that ‘conifer’ is an anagram of ‘fir cone’.
M: I think you’ve got too much time on your hands.
S: I think I’ve probably got less time on my hands than anyone I’ve ever met.
M: But yet you’ve got time to work that kind of thing out!
S: Well I’ve got the time now, if I see them come out – if I see the word ‘orchestra’ you might see the word ‘carthouse’ riding out of it.
M: And Carwardine?
S: Carwadine is ‘a nicer reward’ actually. You like that?
M: (laughs) That’s great.
S: A nicer reward.

@dreamingshadow

fryfan20

Posted Sun Jan 11th, 2009 11:36pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
thank you MP

I am what I am

PamJH

Posted Mon Jan 12th, 2009 3:09am Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
Thank you, MP. I've been wanting to see something of these. That was good of you to take the time to post.

Pam

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Jan 12th, 2009 3:25am Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
LOL Stephen's such a word smart arse. Or smart sear.

A pink, springing, puppy of thanks for sharing, MP

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu Jan 15th, 2009 3:05am Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
w00t! Stephen posted a link to watch the vids for non-ukers!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/tv/lcts/index.shtml

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu Jan 15th, 2009 3:45pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
Thanks ever so much monochromeprincess, you must have spent quite a while on transcribing the video. How kind of you

Isn´t it magnificent of Mr Fry (and Fryphile, for that matter) to post a link so that non-ukers are able to watch the videos?!?! big THANK YOU

IdeaCollector

Posted Thu Jan 15th, 2009 10:47pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
As I still don't have access even with the new link I will extend my gratitude to you. Ta!

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

fryfan20

Posted Thu Jan 15th, 2009 11:07pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
a very big thank you for fryphile and stephen fry

I am what I am

monochromeprincess

Posted Fri Jan 16th, 2009 11:17pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
As I still don't have access even with the new link I will extend my gratitude to you. Ta!

I'm glad people can watch the vids now :D. But as long as you can't, I'll post my transcripts and caps.

Beware of Kakapo attacks

Well it looks like one of those remote weather stations doesn’t it? Where people crouch together for months and go slowly mad as they send balloons into the atmosphere and such things. But this is all devoted to the kakapo the main hut and the main room, I’ll show you the rest, follow me.

Is there any more forlorn sight in the world than slowly flapping pants? Well there is. Mark Cawardine asleep. This is where we have our bunk.

(Stephen mimes ‘ssh!’ and blows a kiss into Mark’s room (aww!))

Bless.
So let’s go to the loo. Ooh err! I said let’s go to the loo! I meant, let’s go to where the loo is.

This gate and fence here is for – well, the thing is, kakapos are nocturnal. ‘Kakapo’ is Maori for parrot of the night. And this is where the loo is – the only one – so if you’re caught short in the night and if you want to go up the last thing you want to do is accidentally tread on a kakapo or have a kakapo attack you – well not attack you, but you know they’re quite beaky things – this is the way to the loo.

(swings really small gate shut) That should stop us being disturbed!

It’s a loo with a view! It’s quite a sight out there, and I’m afraid it’s quite a sight down there too, it’s what they call a long drop, it’s quite a pit in there. What happens is you just throw in some wood shavings here after your message has been delivered. All very unpleasant but let’s face it we’re human beings, that’s what we do!

mp xxxx

@dreamingshadow

Firlefanz

Posted Fri Jan 16th, 2009 11:42pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
[

mp xxxx

Love that one!

IdeaCollector

Posted Fri Jan 16th, 2009 11:49pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
ta again mp...you are a lifesaver.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

monochromeprincess

Posted Sat Jan 17th, 2009 1:10pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
*dances* Yey I'm glad you likey.

*still anticipates some sort of comment from Fryphile re the pants*

@dreamingshadow

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Jan 17th, 2009 5:32pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
How does Stephen make everything sound deliriously fun and exciting? A very crude loo to be sure, but with tour!guide Stephen leading the way, it seems like the Taj Mahal. And then there's the blowing a kiss to Mark. BLESS. The kakapo is proof that EVERY LIVING THING LOVES STEPHEN.

Shine

Posted Sun Jan 18th, 2009 8:14pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
Just a clarification on the words from the first post (which I haven't listened to btw)

Maori (being of course the first people to settle in NZ)
and the special trees up in that part of the North Island are Kauri trees. They are most splendid indeed - so splendid and large infact that they were heavily felled by the second bunch of settlers to NZ and now this most ancient and regal tree can most frequently be seen locally in the form of coffee tables, serving platters and tea trays... *sigh*

Wiki talks about the kauri tree (<-- this is a link)

The NZ encyclopedia talks about the kauri tree (<-- so is this!)

Everything is readily available.