Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Desdemona

Posted Sun Jan 18th, 2009 10:10pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
How does Stephen make everything sound deliriously fun and exciting? A very crude loo to be sure, but with tour!guide Stephen leading the way, it seems like the Taj Mahal. And then there's the blowing a kiss to Mark. BLESS. The kakapo is proof that EVERY LIVING THING LOVES STEPHEN.

I want to be that kakapo.
And just sometimes it can't be helped, be cause we all get the urges to hump Mr Fry every so often. So the Kakapo can be forgiven.

Skip Life and come with me?

monochromeprincess

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 6:52pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
Three new vids are up: The Fattest and Largest Parrot, Getting the Best Shots and Save the Kakikokakakikokapopo. Anyone need me to transcribe?

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow

IdeaCollector

Posted Sat Jan 31st, 2009 11:59pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
i wouldn't need transcriptions if the bloody thing would let me see em or if someone had them for me to see.

Please help me out mp...i will owe you forever!

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Feb 1st, 2009 11:33pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
i wouldn't need transcriptions if the bloody thing would let me see em or if someone had them for me to see.

Please help me out mp...i will owe you forever!

Should be able to do it tomorrow, sorry for the delay in reply :).

mp xxxx

@dreamingshadow

monochromeprincess

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 1:24pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
The fattest and largest parrot

It really is wonderful to be here on Codfish Island where the kakapo are. They really are the most extraordinary birds – they’re like a whole chapter in the Guinness Book of Records: they’re the fattest and largest parrot on earth, the only nocturnal one, the only flightless one, and they are far and away the rarest – there are only 90 of these animals left in the whole world, and they’re all on this island, which is still part of the British Empire – or whatever it calls itself these days!! – and of those 90 only 1, just 1, thinks it’s a human being. This bird thing called imprinting, you may have heard of, where basically, like some sort of fairytale, the first thing the chick sees when coming out of the egg it believes to be its mother. The first living thing I suppose. If it happens to be a human being the bird will think it’s a human being, and that is the story of Sirroco.

(cut to footage of Stephen, Mark and Sirroco and cut back)

The only – tame isn’t quite the word – human kakapo, in its own opinion at least, on earth. Mark and I had a heck of an experience with Sirroco last night. He just goes all over you: he’s on your head, he’s scratching at you and pecking at you, and let’s be honest, trying to have congress with you in intimate ways and you have to keep reminding yourself: this is one of 90 kakapos on earth, and when Mark and Douglas Adams came here twenty odd years ago there were only 40. So maybe if I’m spared I’ll come back in twenty years time, and there’ll be in three figures, even four figures hopefully. One thing I’m learning though is that it takes a lot of human beings to look after one kakapo, the way the world is at the moment. More of that later.

@dreamingshadow

Firlefanz

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 1:27pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
Just wanted to post... and there they are!

*applauds MP*

monochromeprincess

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 1:37pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
Getting the best shots

Stephen: Behind me – the stunning beauty and drama of the South Island Fiordland – how are we going to film it? Come with me.

A helicopter. You probably recognise that. At the front, a newish piece of technology – well, it’s probably been around for about ten years or so – and it’s transformed natural history filming. Look at that. It’s a mount for the camera - it’s kind of gimbly and gyroscopic – the CINEFLEX HI DEF it says on it. I don’t know what it’s proper name is but what I do know is that it gives unbelievably stable images. You probably saw the sort of things on Planet Earth where you could see wildebeest stampeeding and crocodiles leaping out of rivers and they can hover right close or at least close on a long lens, none of that moving around, completely still images, it’s fascinating technology. Anyway, our guide Peter here is fixing it up and he’ll be operating from the back here. It’s looking good.
Peter: We’re getting there.
Stephen: Yep. It’s amazingly complicated, all those wires, I’m in heaven. And otherwise, pretty standard helicopter. We’ll be reading in a while. Otherwise, see you later.

@dreamingshadow

monochromeprincess

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 1:38pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
Lol at Peter. There's always someone called Peter isn't there?

@dreamingshadow

monochromeprincess

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 1:52pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
Save the kakikokakakikokapopo

Well, I’m well into week 2 of this fantastic New Zealand adventure. Behind me you can see the mountains and cascades of Fiordland of the South Island, and it’s a remarkable place and I believe that I’m really starting to get a deeper understanding of the extraordinary delicate membrane of the New Zealand ecology that was so savagely pierced and violated by the addition of mammals from Europe. But I’ve only ever rarely spoken about an interesting thought that occurred to me. You know, New Zealand is best know for its bird life, because the endemic species are so unique here, after all, the birds, and the kiwi is the symbol of New Zealand and there’s even a fruit named after it. But, a little thought about aspect of the birds of New Zealand is that they appear to have been named by seven year olds. There’s our hero bird, the kakapo, there’s the kokako and there’s the kaka, and there’s the katypoo. Now, did you ever hear a list of bird names more guaranteed to make a ten year old and me laugh than kakakokikakipoopookakakokikokikoki? All the best we can come up with in Britain is tit, and that’s pretty good, but nothing like as good as kokikakakakapoopookakikok. So um, another aspect of New Zealand wildlife that I hope will interest the younger generation, and maybe get them involved, because we cannot stand to lose the kakikokikakipoopoos.

@dreamingshadow

monochromeprincess

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 1:52pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
Lol Stephen was trying my patience with that last one!! X-D X-D X-D

@dreamingshadow

Firlefanz

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 2:06pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
We should rename all endangered species! Add a -kakikokapoopoo to all the names and it not only makes them more interesting, but also serves as an "endangered" label... what a thought!

X-D X-D X-D

PamJH

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 4:41am Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
Lol Stephen was trying my patience with that last one!! X-D X-D X-D

This is very good of you to transcribe for those of us who can't view and listen to the real thing. Thank you again.

monochromeprincess

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 12:08pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
You're welcome! *grins*
I quite enjoy it really

mp xxxx

@dreamingshadow

IdeaCollector

Posted Thu Feb 12th, 2009 2:17am Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....
I've been off the forums for a few weeks so my much belated thanks again for doing this.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Aug 9th, 2009 5:21pm Post subject: For all those locked out of the LCTS website....

That's good news that a link for non-UK fans to access has been made and that you're putting in so much effort monochromeprincess to share these blogs. It must've taken you forever transcribing Stephen's discussion of New Zealand bird names! It always makes me sad when websites restrict it's viewers by country. ...and I thought I'd totally missed the Last Chance to See series. So glad to find out I haven't. ^0^ It looks like it's going to be an exciting show and with the use of the kind of equipment used in Planet Eearth I'm hoping for some stunning shots.

Fryphile said:
LOL Stephen's such a word smart arse. Or smart sear.

A pink, springing, puppy of thanks for sharing, MP

This is what I love about Stephen Fry so much - he always manages to find time to come up with interesting and clever things to say even when they're nothing to do with the situation.

Fryphile said:
How does Stephen make everything sound deliriously fun and exciting? A very crude loo to be sure, but with tour!guide Stephen leading the way, it seems like the Taj Mahal. And then there's the blowing a kiss to Mark. BLESS. The kakapo is proof that EVERY LIVING THING LOVES STEPHEN.

He's as bad as Michael Palin for being obsessed with describing the toilet facilities. Those two could publish a guide book to toilets around the world!

Assuming direct control...