Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Help

Posted Sat Jul 11th, 2009 2:19pm Post subject: For fans of Captain Slow.
Apparently he's also going to be on Friday Night With Johnathan Ross on the 10th of this month, which is nice.
Not sure how I feel about him doing that show really. Not that I have any problem with Ross, it just doesn't strike me as May's sort of thing.

Ooo thanks for this information

Saw it, and Ross completely missed the point I thought.
It would be great to be trapped in a lift with James May, as he'd never be short of things to talk about.
I know what you mean, Ross was pretty much rude to James, people know the kind of things that James is interested in so if you don't like that and don't want to hear him talk about it then don't invite him on! I mean he said the lift comment twice, as if once wasn't bad enough.
Plus he kept taking the mick out of the clothes he was wearing which I thought were rather nice-actually.
Nevermind

TheElephant

Posted Sat Jul 11th, 2009 3:38pm Post subject: For fans of Captain Slow.
I wonder how many people still want to watch Jonathan Ross.

I've gone off him as a chat show host, but it's the prime BBC chat show, so draws good guests. I doubt he'd be missed if a half decent replacement was drafted in. (Wonder if that's why they didn't just do that when he was off air?)

I was still enjoying his radio show when I last listened, but it's been a while, and with iPlayer now, I choose Adam and Joe anyway, and there's only so much time in a week.

Maybe stick to Film 20xx which he still does a fine job an, and reinvent himself somehow.

(Sorry, not very May related, but agree, shouldn't have invited him on as Ross has a one track style).

Shyamz

Posted Sat Jul 11th, 2009 7:15pm Post subject: For fans of Captain Slow.
I agree, he gave plenty of time to Viviene Westwood to talk about her global warming concerns (just as well I thought she was quite a good guest and I quite liked her), but gave very little time to James to talk about his stuff.

I know there is always a "main" guest who gets most of the show time, but that doesn't mean the others should get fobbed off like they were. If it becomes a problem, he should consider cutting each guest off after the same amount of time.

I doubt he'd be missed if a half decent replacement was drafted in. (Wonder if that's why they didn't just do that when he was off air?)

I'd love to think I was wrong, but I do suspect that the whole reason they didn't replace him (even temporarily) and instead waited for his return, was because they knew the attention the show would receive when it finally came back if he was still at the helm.

Plus he kept taking the mick out of the clothes he was wearing which I thought were rather nice-actually.

As if he's one to talk! "Er, Mr Kettle? You've got an e-mail from Mr Pot".

Shyamz

Posted Mon Jul 27th, 2009 3:46am Post subject: For fans of Captain Slow.
So that's two challenges he's won so far in ONE series...

Odd, anyone else think he's starting to get the point at last or is starting to get competative in his old age?

And as for his passenger on the Majorca rally...well she sure wasn't an embarrasment to her gender was she?

Shader

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 5:03am Post subject: For fans of Captain Slow.
That last Top Gear challenge was designed for James. It all had to be consistent and averaged times.

Too bad for his loss during the car auction. He waited all that time for the car he wanted then got stuck at the end. Hammond's strategy was alright, but I'd change it up to one of the first three you see not the first because his car sucked.

I like the multiple challenges more than the single challenge.

Help

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 10:39am Post subject: For fans of Captain Slow.
So that's two challenges he's won so far in ONE series...

Odd, anyone else think he's starting to get the point at last or is starting to get competative in his old age?

And as for his passenger on the Majorca rally...well she sure wasn't an embarrasment to her gender was she?
I think he's actually starting to get the point?
To be fair Jezza would have won had he not decided to have a race when he was trying to go a specific speed!
LOL! Madison or whatever her name was wasn't nearly as bad as I thought she was going to be although she did touch his hair and put lip gloss on him..
Also...

Green is so not my colour

Shyamz

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 1:54pm Post subject: For fans of Captain Slow.

I think he's actually starting to get the point?
To be fair Jezza would have won had he not decided to have a race when he was trying to go a specific speed!
LOL! Madison or whatever her name was wasn't nearly as bad as I thought she was going to be although she did touch his hair and put lip gloss on him..
Also...Green is so not my colour

True, Clarkson can't help himself sometimes.

As for Madison (did I get her name right?), O.K all three people chosen were picked for their obvious lack of suitability for the job, (i.e Clarkson's couldn't speak English and he couldn't speak Spanish, and Hammond's guy was an amateur mechanic with no rally experience). But at least those two still tried...even the bloke who couldn't speak English to Jeremy was giving it some.

She just acted like a twit. And no matter who you're in a car with, you just don't go spraying hairspray in a confined space like that, it's just rude.
Turn your phone off, at least attempt to read a map and not play up to the stereotype that all women are confused by them, and quit looking at the damn scenery.

Seriously though, did any of them think what kind of impression that particular example of Top Gear casting would give to people who already think that it's a sexist, bloke-y man-fest?

She really played the part of a ditsy, air headed girly, who doesn't belong in cars well...so well done to her.

Shyamz

Posted Tue Aug 4th, 2009 2:15pm Post subject: For fans of Captain Slow.
Thought my fellow Mr May fans would appreciate this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-11.....arted.html

I was just coming to post that very thing!
YUMMY!

Particularly the bit about him growing his hair out to look like Lord Byron.

How much more fun would we be having if he had been the one presenting that two part Channel 4 series on Byron instead of Rupert Everett?