Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

cooper77

Posted Sun Aug 9th, 2009 1:16am Post subject: Fraud alert

Came across this forum and found my email already registered, please explain. Used change password facility but would like to know who is using my details and how.

I'd like to know who nicked and registered my email and ID

cooper77

Posted Sun Aug 9th, 2009 1:25am Post subject: Fraud alert

um

Nitro

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 4:36am Post subject: Fraud alert

This would seem to me the sort of question that *ought* to be answered immediately by the Admin. I don't mean 'eventually', I mean right now.

'Nicking' such information is fairly serious, if it's true. You can bet IF it is true, the reputation of this site will be destroyed in such a way it might not recover and it would be immensely arrogant to think otherwise.

Word spreads fast folks. I hope cooper gets an answer soon...

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 7:07pm Post subject: Fraud alert

I wonder if this shouldn't also be posted under the bug problems on the technical assistance thread.

Nitro

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 11:29pm Post subject: Fraud alert

Wow.

Just...

Wow.

Really? Wow.

Soupy Twist

Posted Tue Aug 11th, 2009 2:25pm Post subject: Fraud alert

Samspon asked that all bug reports be posted here:
http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/topic/version-21-a.....ug-reports

cooper77

Posted Tue Aug 11th, 2009 11:19pm Post subject: Fraud alert

No answers yet, had to use password rest again to post this, something is afoot!

Simon Wheatley

Administrator

Posted Wed Aug 12th, 2009 4:39pm Post subject: Fraud alert

cooper77 said:
Came across this forum and found my email already registered, please explain. Used change password facility but would like to know who is using my details and how.

Hi Cooper,

Can you please PM me with the details you tried to sign up with, and whether you have used the email in question to signup to *any* part of this site in the past (blog comments or forum or anything else).

Thanks.

S

Nitro

Posted Thu Aug 13th, 2009 3:15pm Post subject: Fraud alert

FWIW, I think if someone was already a member of wordpress ( have a blog there ) that there was a unilateral, global, 'under the hood' sync up that went on and the data info a person might have at wordpress was exposed here. I don't know if that's Coopers specific problem, but it was part of mine.

Really? Wow.

Simon Wheatley

Administrator

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 9:09am Post subject: Fraud alert

Nitro said:
FWIW, I think if someone was already a member of wordpress ( have a blog there ) that there was a unilateral, global, 'under the hood' sync up that went on and the data info a person might have at wordpress was exposed here. I don't know if that's Coopers specific problem, but it was part of mine.

That is pretty much right. The data from the forum was merged into the data from WP... so if you had an account on the blog you can now access the forum as well and vice versa.

S

Nitro

Posted Mon Aug 17th, 2009 6:09am Post subject: Fraud alert

Simon Wheatley said:
That is pretty much right. The data from the forum was merged into the data from WP... so if you had an account on the blog you can now access the forum as well and vice versa.

S

And the reason that's a bad idea is because it's a unilateral result without prior consent of the person holding an account at wordpress.

I would like to ask a very direct question: how much of a forum members data who has a wordpress account can you see from here?

If you can see *any* of it, yeah, I got a real problem with that. I prefer to keep worlds separate, not colliding. So if there's any thing you can do as a 'super-user' to make sure that people have first the OPTION to decide if they want to be 'linked up' or not; secondly, that you are the 'superuser' do not allow any of wordpress account information, specific to THAT site, to be drawn in under your view.

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Mon Aug 17th, 2009 12:19pm Post subject: Fraud alert

Nitro, I am such an internet innocent. Many of us keep our internet worlds separate for whatever reasons. It's scary to know these worlds could merge without our knowing about it until it's too late.

Andrew Sampson

Administrator

Posted Mon Aug 17th, 2009 1:10pm Post subject: Fraud alert

I can assure you Pam, we are not merging any information with anyone. We haven't got any information to share.

PamJH

Posted Mon Aug 17th, 2009 3:20pm Post subject: Fraud alert

I was thinking more along the lines of it being accidental, with neither the individual nor the company being aware of the problem until it's too late.