Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

hattyintheuk

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 3:01pm Post subject: Free the blocked twitter accounts of the innocents
I am asking for your help

A post on this site or even a tweet protesting against pants Twitter Support – or should that be no support.

FREE THE BLOCKED TWITTER ACCOUNTS OF THE INNOCENTS

Until very recently I was following Mr Stephen Fry's Twitter updates - I find them amusing and they make me smile. But then tragedy struck, something went wrong on my Twitter account – I was no longer getting feeds from any one, not even Stephen Fry the most prolific tweeter I know, and noone was getting my tweets.

I have been sending daily requests to the Twitter Support team to ‘please, please fix my account' but to no avail.

In fact the response has been farcical to say the least.

• It took me two days to find out how to lodge a query (the Twitter Support pages broadcast a lot of information but they don’t want you asking a question)

• Eventually, and after a few whiskies (to help my creative problem solving), I found a way in (its on the Twitter support home page about half way down under the topic Noteworthy Facts is a hyperlink entitled ‘ask us’)

• So I asked ! two days later ‘Lukester’ gets back to me suggesting that I clear my cache and thatt that should fix it – I cleared the cache .... and in keeping with the natural order things it didn’t work

• Emailed Lukester daily over the next 4 days – ‘Lukester the cache has been cleared its still not working’.

• 4 days later Lukester responds ‘We're sorry you're having this known issue. Please put all comments here: http://help.twitter.com/forums/31935/entries/39776.’

• Well that makes sense lodge a problem on a forum where a bunch of other people with absolutely no programming skills can try and solve your problem. Except it wasn’t like that – there were hundreds of people posting that they had the same problem and that they weren't getting help either. It got so bad I had to unsubscribe to the forum as my email could not cope with the sheer volume of complainers updates.

- Lukester, buddy THIS IS A REALLY BIG ISSUE ! how big does it have to get for you to do something? -

So here I am asking the followers of Stephen Fry for your help – Twitter doesn’t care about one lonely voice but they might just care about the fans of Stephen Fry protesting against pants twitter support and the fact that they can't see his tweets either

Free the blocked twitter accounts of the innocents

PamJH

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 3:05pm Post subject: Free the blocked twitter accounts of the innocents
Not that this helps your current account, but could you create a new one with a different email? Gmail or hotmail, perhaps? I think that's what I would do. It doesn't sound like you're going to get any help from Twitter.

ginj

Member *

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 3:50pm Post subject: Free the blocked twitter accounts of the innocents
You are not alone. Although I have not been blocked yet, I see that they are disappearing from Mr. Fry's page at about 3 twittrrers a day.. That is rather significant (about 300 have disappeared in the last three months). I too have tried to get twitter to correct a problem, after two months they sent me an email telling me that they do not have the man-power to fix the situation. Unfornately no one here (to the best of my knowledge) has any pull at Twitter. I think Pam's idea of starting a new account is a very good one.

Good luck to you.

michael

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 4:23pm Post subject: Free the blocked twitter accounts of the innocents
if it's been going on recently, in the last few days, please don't get mad at twitter. they've probably been busy, what with the stated dept calling them etc.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSWBT01137420090616

i agree the support page is hard to navigate...but that service is not run by twitter, it is a different company.

probly best to ask around online for fixes, here, or on forums for using twitter (i'm sure there are some)

good luck

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

hattyintheuk

Posted Fri Jun 19th, 2009 2:50pm Post subject: Free the blocked twitter accounts of the innocents
Michael, Pam and Ginj

I know you are right ..... but it shouldn't have to be this way. If you are going to go out to the world with a product and a promise that it will work then you had better back up!

It just not good enough for twitter to say I have't got enough manpower, there are 1000's of accounts globally that are affected how many pissed of people do you need ebfore you do something?

More over outsourcing your help desk isn't an excuse either - Twitter nees to hold that outsourced Help Desk accountable for ... well ... helping!

Perhaps I should set up my own twitter - after all there is more than one facebook style website??

I could have the tag line ... a Tweet that really does Tweet !

Hatty

michael

Posted Fri Jun 19th, 2009 5:36pm Post subject: Free the blocked twitter accounts of the innocents
give it time.

really, i have a feeling it's very chaotic right now because iranians are making use of it for protests, etc. whether the info on it is accurate or not, this means they have a LOT of questions to answer, a lot of talking to the US gov, plus people possibly trying to block&shut it down,etc, in the past week.

some say not that many iranian protesters are using it, and the story of a nationwide protest lead through twitter is blown out of proportion...but, either way, it no doubt adds to a person's workload...this is not a normal week for twitter AT ALL.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Help

Posted Fri Jun 19th, 2009 8:22pm Post subject: Free the blocked twitter accounts of the innocents
i have to agree, I think just give it a bit of time.
There is no way that Twitter could have expected to become so bloody big so quickly.
I'm sure they hate having people upset due to Twitter, but I'm also sure they'll fix it

Nitro

Posted Fri Jun 19th, 2009 9:31pm Post subject: Free the blocked twitter accounts of the innocents
All that's true but there are competitors out there and will certainly pull in some new customers due to this. That's just business eh? Maybe a new package will surface that provides better service. I know if I was in that biz I'd try to capitalize on the broo-haha.

Really? Wow.