Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 10:10pm Post subject: Fresh start?
The courage to start again came, for me, from not being afraid of my darkness. It has a name now and I am in good company. You want my advice? If you are serious then bet everything, bet big and chase your dream. The hardest thing in the world to do is to do what you want. You will never have as many opponents as you do when you do what YOU want but you will also be surprised at the support, both how much you get and where it comes from. The world doesn't notice much except passion. If you go after your dream then do it with all of your heart. The harder you work the luckier you are. Some people have it smooth, others have to work. If that's you then prepare and learn relentlessly, for knowledge is power.

totally agree... thats what i live by.

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 10:12pm Post subject: Fresh start?
Re: Chuppet's post

Without wanting to sound like a total cliché AGAIN, I really respect that you've got through everything you've been through. I don't really know how to say it, but... I don't know.

A rigorous regime of exercise, self medicating and pissing the bed.

Well the point is that you never gave up. You never just thought "Fuck it" and shut yourself away. You were determined to be a better person and make a new start in order to help you do that. I think it's great that you did that.

meekychuppet

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 10:23pm Post subject: Fresh start?
Re: Chuppet's post

Without wanting to sound like a total cliché AGAIN, I really respect that you've got through everything you've been through. I don't really know how to say it, but... I don't know.

A rigorous regime of exercise, self medicating and pissing the bed.

Well the point is that you never gave up. You never just thought "Fuck it" and shut yourself away. You were determined to be a better person and make a new start in order to help you do that. I think it's great that you did that.

So do I!

Well, as Churchill said, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never give in.

ysabella

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 12:32am Post subject: Fresh start?
I never plan anything, things just sort of happen. And they tend to be oddly good things. Got into my first choice college, graduated with honors, met lots of interesting profs and students, found a best friend/soulmate, married a perfect dude who then got a very highly paid job, found a law firm job when i wanted it, found a writing job when i wanted it... it's all been suspiciously easy so far.
Wow, so different from my life experience. I don't get a lot of great things just falling into my lap. The good things that have come to me are because I pushed myself and kept pushing - I've always "made my own luck." I wonder if I just look at it differently from how you look at similar things, or what it is?

Example: when my friends met my dreamy now-husband the first time, a cople of them said "Oh, you're so lucky."

Lucky?!

In order to end up with him, I had to apply for and get a company position in Europe, relocate to France, take on a scary project in the Netherlands, refuse to sit at home watching cable after work every night, phone around several expat services looking for what to do with myself (considered a choir, a volleyball club, a women's volunteer group, etc.), find a theater group, volunteer to work backstage, work long evenings doing props after long days at work for six weeks, and offer people rides back to town from rehearsals and performances. Once I had gotten to know him a bit - chatting in the bar after performances and giving him a couple of lifts back to town - I'm the one who asked for his email address and I wrote to him, asked for his number and phoned him, because I wanted to know him better. After a week of emails and conversations, he invited me out to the pub with his gang of friends, and we fell for each other.

It just doesn't seem to me like I was "lucky" so much as "persistent." But you could say I was lucky that my company wanted someone for the French office, that I was lucky I was deployed to the Netherlands, that I was lucky to choose the theater group instead of the choir, etc.

Jurjen says that he's the lucky one, because from his point of view, I just showed up and pestered him a little.

Phlizz

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 12:41am Post subject: Fresh start?
Meeky said:

Well, as Churchill said, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never give in.

Ahh - but Mark Twain said - If at first you don't succeed, try again. If you still fail after that, give up, there's not use being a damn fool about it.

That's what I've always lived by... X-D It's worked up until now - stops me getting so fed up with things that I can't make work. Fresh start = Good

meekychuppet

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 9:54am Post subject: Fresh start?
Meeky said:

Ahh - but Mark Twain said - If at first you don't succeed, try again. If you still fail after that, give up, there's not use being a damn fool about it.

That's what I've always lived by... X-D It's worked up until now - stops me getting so fed up with things that I can't make work. Fresh start = Good

Indeed, but Twain was a writer and philosopher, Churchill saved the free world.

He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose.

absolutely curtains

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 5:20pm Post subject: Fresh start?

What - never?

AxmxZ

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 8:08pm Post subject: Fresh start?

Wow, so different from my life experience. I don't get a lot of great things just falling into my lap. The good things that have come to me are because I pushed myself and kept pushing - I've always "made my own luck." I wonder if I just look at it differently from how you look at similar things, or what it is?

Could be.

Example: when my friends met my dreamy now-husband the first time, a cople of them said "Oh, you're so lucky."

Lucky?!

In order to end up with him, I had to apply for and get a company position in Europe, relocate to France, take on a scary project in the Netherlands, refuse to sit at home watching cable after work every night, phone around several expat services looking for what to do with myself (considered a choir, a volleyball club, a women's volunteer group, etc.), find a theater group, volunteer to work backstage, work long evenings doing props after long days at work for six weeks, and offer people rides back to town from rehearsals and performances. Once I had gotten to know him a bit - chatting in the bar after performances and giving him a couple of lifts back to town - I'm the one who asked for his email address and I wrote to him, asked for his number and phoned him, because I wanted to know him better. After a week of emails and conversations, he invited me out to the pub with his gang of friends, and we fell for each other.

It just doesn't seem to me like I was "lucky" so much as "persistent." But you could say I was lucky that my company wanted someone for the French office, that I was lucky I was deployed to the Netherlands, that I was lucky to choose the theater group instead of the choir, etc.

Jurjen says that he's the lucky one, because from his point of view, I just showed up and pestered him a little.

I met my dreamy now-husband at a frat party. September 11th took place around the start of my orientation week at the University. I was stuck in Russia; my ticket, Moscow-New York, had been for the morning of September 12th. By the time the international air fleet was allowed back in the skies, the orientation was over and classes were scheduled to begin within several days.

(Incidentally, when I first went to visit my academic advisor immediately after arriving, I found in her office a tall bespactacled creature who had been similarly stuck in Bulgaria - we became best friends instantly and for good.)

A couple of weeks later, I was taken out by my new dorm-mates to a frat party in celebration of my 18th birthday. I left the party with the handsomest dude in the crowd, an anthropology major a year my senior. A couple of weeks later I was felled by mono; even eating and drinking was near-impossible, to say nothing of getting out of bed. My now-boyfriend sheltered me in his dorm room and fed me yoghurt and apple sauce for three months while I recovered. And here we are, five years hence.

Aoibheann

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 8:22pm Post subject: Fresh start?
Saved the free world?

you mean.. saved the ENGLISH free world....

He wouldnt have very many friends over here..... i dont count myself as one.... whatever floats your boat i suppose...

meekychuppet

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 8:48pm Post subject: Fresh start?
Saved the free world?

you mean.. saved the ENGLISH free world....

He wouldnt have very many friends over here..... i dont count myself as one.... whatever floats your boat i suppose...

No, I think, you will find that Britain stood alone before Churchill persuade the Yanks to get involved, lest they have to fight a united Europe. Europe was conquered.

Nice try on the old "Churchill was a racist" line.

Aoibheann

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 9:00pm Post subject: Fresh start?
never mentioned the word 'racist' and you wont hear it pass my lips.....

and im not saying what he did in Europe wasnt amazing.. because it was.. what he did was amazing... but he didnt 'save the free world'....... he didnt... he saved a part of it.. he saved a slice of it...

what im saying i guess is... that he wasnt all good... he did a lot of things that impacted badly on Ireland... on this country.. his treatment towards us was quite awful. you didnt take that into account when saying.. 'he saved the free world'... you know?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 11:02pm Post subject: Fresh start?

'Tis truly shocking what has occurred in the name of freedom, from here to there to everywhere.

And usually men!

Chris

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 11:49pm Post subject: Fresh start?
Ooh er... went a bit gushy, no other word for it.

:-//

joan

Posted Fri May 18th, 2007 8:27am Post subject: Fresh start?
The English press always buried the truth about Ireland - we didn't know anything about the truth behind the troubles of the 70s, for instance, until we made friends with Irish people we met elsewhere.

Mind you, the UK press could never hide how hate-filled and intransigent Ian Paisley always was, and I keep wondering if today's Paisley is a doppelganger. I think he hit rock bottom in my esteem when he publicly mocked the Catholic mass, and I'm not even religious.

But I always got upset about anti-Brit feeling in Ireland, because the British establishment that did the irish so much harm, was harming the British working class at the same time. Our ancestors were dying from the excesses of the industrial revolution, worked and starved to death, at the time of the potato famine, for instance, though not in such obvious numbers.

I'm so glad all that division and hatred is coming to an end. Oh yes, as for Churchill: just ask anyone who knows about Gallipoli how the feel about Churchill! It's true he was a good war leader in WWII, but it was just as well they voted Labour after the war, because that was how we got a health and welfare system: it would never have come from him.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Fri May 18th, 2007 2:57pm Post subject: Fresh start?
But I always got upset about anti-Brit feeling in Ireland, because the British establishment that did the irish so much harm,

I dont want to harp on about the past too much and I dont want to instigate any arguements or illfeeling so Id rather not begin a whole thing about Irish-British relations.... I would like to clarify one point though which I think is important as it can be misrepresented by media or whatever - the Irish people dont hate the British people. They have grievences with the British governemnt and the establishment so to speak - those who they feel are pulling the strings. In all honesty its not even the current government, its the memory of the past and things that happened. Alot of the Irish feel wronged by what happened and it is still raw as alot of the rebellion was only 90 odd years ago and those who experienced it are just at the end of their life or have passed it on to the next generation. If a British person came over to Ireland, you wouldnt be in danger of your life or anything....!