Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Canzonett

Posted Tue Dec 5th, 2006 10:28pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Since Atari seems to have fixed the "disappearing threads" problem, I thought about a second attempt of starting a recipe thread and luckily fished the recipes posted earlier on out of WWW's sharkbasin by googling wildly and copying them from a cache version of the old thread.

So: This is the place to make both Bertie and Jeeves happy on a culinary level.

False Liverpaste (Vegetarian Spread)

Originally called "Falsche Leberwurst" (False Liver Sausage). Most important ingredients for the lovely taste are yeast and marjoram, so whatever you do with this recipe, do not change those two!

Conversion tool

50 g fat (rape or olive oil)
2 onions
1 clove of garlic
1 package of yeast
50 g whole grain spelt flour
0.25 l vegetable broth
1-2 table spoons of marjoram
1 teaspoon of thyme
1 pinch of herbal salt

Chop onions and garlic into tiny dices. Heat the fat, add onion and garlic dices, let them become glassy. Crumble in the yeast and let it melt. Breath in that delicious fragrance ...

Add marjoram and thyme.

Let boil for a moment, then add flour and broth. Stir immediately and well in order to avoid clots. The resulting mass should be thick and creamy.

Let cool for a while, season with herbal salt and fill the mass into two small marmalade glasses. Keep in a fridge.

Enjoy.

Canzonett

Posted Tue Dec 5th, 2006 10:29pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Zebra Cake

For a springform pan (Ø 26 cm)

Dough:
375 g wheat flour
1 package of baking powder
250 g sugar
1 package of vanillin sugar
5 eggs (medium-sized)
125 ml (1/8 l) lukewarm water
250 ml (1/4 l) cooking oil
2 tbsp cocoa powder (non-sugar)

Icing:
150 g icing sugar
3 tbsp rum

Preheat the oven (180°C, gas: 2-3). Grease the springform pan.

For the dough:
Mix flour and baking powder, sieve them into a bowl. Add all other ingredients except the cocoa powder. Stir thoroughly with a mixer. Split the dough into two parts, add the cocoa powder to one part.

Put 1-2 tbsp of light dough into the middle of the pan, then 1-2 tbsp of dark dough directly on top of it. Continue with light-dark-light-dark etc. until dough is used up. Bake immediately (for ca. 50 minutes).

Let the cake cool off for a while.
Add the icing.

Enjoy!

Canzonett

Posted Tue Dec 5th, 2006 10:30pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Vanillekipferl

Here is a recipe for Vanillekipferl (Vanilla crescents) (from the internet, not a family recipe, as mine is in German ... and at home at the moment .. ) in case anybody is interested...

Ingredients
• 150 grams butter
• 210 grams flour
• 80 grams ground hazelnuts or almonds
• 80 grams powdered sugar
• one whole egg
• 60 grams powdered sugar
• 3 tablespoons vanilla sugar

Recipe

Sieve the flour into a heap on a pastry board or into a large bowl.

Cut the cold butter into small pieces and mix with the flour. Add powdered sugar, ground almonds or hazelnuts and the egg.

Rinse hands with cold water and quickly knead mixture into a crisp dough. Chill for half an hour.

Form thumb thick rolls from the dough, cut into 1 cm wide pieces, roll and form crescents.

Bake at low to medium heat (160° Celsius) for 10-15 minutes, or until very light gold in colour.

Turn the crescents in a mixture of powdered sugar and vanilla sugar while still hot.

ENJOY (!)

ClareBear

Posted Tue Dec 5th, 2006 10:41pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Stickied so it won't fall off the bottom.

Canzonett

Posted Tue Dec 5th, 2006 11:23pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Apropos "sticky":

Kladdkaka - the ultimate chocolate experience

A standard cake recipe in each Swedish student household. First time I encountered one of my corridormates cutting a kladdkaka into slices, I thought that something had gone horribly, horribly wrong with that doughy cake-shaped thingummy because it looked like a complete mess. Which was rather unexplainable since the person responsible for it studied home economics and actually had a reputation for being a brilliant cook. She explained to wondering me that a kladdkaka is supposed to look strange - it sort of collapses when you take it out of the oven. Which results in its peculiar consistence. It's "kladdig", as they say in Sweden. Sticky. Pulpy. And absolutely delicious, especially if combined with ice cream. By the way: Swedes aren't very good at using kitchen scales and therefore prefer measuring ingredients in units of volume ...

2 eggs
300 ml sugar
ca 2 tsp vanillin sugar
150 ml milk
ca 3 tbsp cocoa powder (the sort used for cooking, not the sweetened stuff)
1 pinch of salt
1500 ml flour (you may add 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, if you insist)
100 g butter

Preheat the oven (175°C).
Butter a springform pan.

Melt the butter.
Mix eggs, sugar, vanillin sugar, cocoa powder, milk and flour.
Add the butter. Stir. Pour into form.

Bake at medium heat (175°C) for ca 40 minutes.

Let the cake cool for a moment, then put it into the fridge (its viscosity should slightly resemble that of caramel).

Enjoy!

Canzonett

Posted Tue Dec 5th, 2006 11:53pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Pan Bread (Långpannebitar)

Another one I brought home from Sweden. Tricky to translate, since some of the ingredients don't seem to be available outside that country. Well, I'll give it a try ...

500 ml milk or water
400 ml fiber-enriched oatmeal
50 g yeast
200 ml water
2 tbsp oil
150 ml quark/"curd cheese"
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey or brown sugar
ca 1,5 l wholemeal wheat flour (alt. ca. 600 ml rye flour, ca. 900 ml wheat flour - the original recipe demands "rågsikt", which is a mixture of wheat and rye flour)

Boil up milk or water. Pour over oatmeal. Let cool down to finger warmth (ca 37°C). Mix water and oil, crumb in the yeast and stir until it disperses completely. Add the oatmeal mass, quark, salt, honey/sugar and almost all flour. Knead. Cover and let rise to double size (ca 45-60 min). Knead with remaining flour. Roll out dough, put on a buttered baking tray. Cut into about 24 square pieces with a floured or oiled knife (it's not necessary to separate them completely, just cut in a bit so it's easier to break the bread later on). Use a fork to stick little holes into the surface of the dough. Cover and let rise for another 30 min.

Bake at about 200°C for ca. 20 min.

Tastes great with salted butter.

Kari

Posted Wed Dec 6th, 2006 1:18am Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
My mouth is seriously watering...

Reminds me of my MorMor. Whenever we're in Denmark she cooks like a maniac. And I'm a vegetarian, and so is my mother. So she ends up cooking PILES of food that my two sisters have to eat. XD

I am making my little sister make these. She's a Chef-in-training.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed Dec 6th, 2006 9:13am Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Canzonett: thanks for transferring the Vanillekipferl recipe to this thread!

Here are two more delicious recipes (I still have not figured out how to insert images, does not seem to work even when I click on the Img button...):

Kaiserschmarren
Ingredients for 4 people:
• 6 eggs
• 200 grams cake or pastry flour
• 50 grams sugar
• 250 milliliters milk
• pinch of salt
• 20 grams of raisins
• butter
• powdered sugar
• plum or apple puree

Recipe

Separate the egg whites from yolks.
Thoroughly mix the yolks, sugar, milk and flour.
Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and beat until stiff.
Add stiff egg whites into the dough and fold carefully.

Melt butter in a large pan, pour in the dough and sprinkle in raisins. Let cook on one side for a few minutes, turn over and tear into pieces with a fork.

Be careful not to overcook the pancakes, otherwise they will dry out. Sprinkle powdered sugar and serve with plum or apple puree.

Salzburger Nockerln

Ingredients
• 4 tsp. unsalted butter
• 4 tsp. currant or grape jelly
• whites of 9 large eggs, at -room temperature
• 1/2 c vanilla sugar
• zest of 1/2 lemon
• 4 grated egg yolks
• 1/4 c granulated sugar
• 1/2 c sifted all purpose flour

Recipe

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Place four 9-inch oval au gratin dishes (or one large oval glass lasagna pan) on a baking sheet. In each small dish place 1 teaspoon of butter and 1 teaspoon of jelly. (If you are using a lasagna pan, smear the bottom with the butter and then with the jelly.
Combine the egg whites, vanilla sugar, and lemon zest in a large metal bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
Beat the egg yolks with the granulated sugar. Gently fold the egg yolks and flour into the meringue. Use a spatula to place three large mounds of the mixture into each au gratin dish. Smooth the surface of each and bake for 8 minutes, until puffed and golden.
Serve immediately. This is especially good with Vanilla Sauce, warm Chocolate Sauce, or cold Strawberry Sauce (recipes separately).

By the way, if you want to catch a glimpse of a Christmas market in Salzburg, watch Nigella´s Christmas Kitchen, 8 pm, BBC2 tonight

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Dec 6th, 2006 9:37am Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Kaiserschmarrn:

Salzburger Nockerl:

To insert a picture I use Google picture search and copy its address with a right mouse click. Then I insert the address:

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed Dec 6th, 2006 10:46am Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Thanks for the advice, Soupy Twist, I´ll try that next time... so watch this space X-D

Canzonett

Posted Wed Dec 6th, 2006 12:24pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Lambada Slices

For the dough:
4 eggs
250 g sugar
1 pckg vanillin sugar
1/8 l oil
1/8 l water
150 g flour
1/2 pckg baking powder

For the coating:
2 pckg vanilla blancmange/pudding
1 l orange juice
5 tbsp sugar
1/2 l cream
2 pckg whipping cream stiffener
1/4 l orange juice
some rum
50 ladyfingers

For the icing:
dark chocolate

For the dough, mix eggs, sugar and vanillin sugar thoroughly. Then add oil, water and flour (sieved with baking powder), stir until dough appears smooth.

Butter a baking tray, spread dough on it, bake at ca 200°C for 15-20 min. Let cool on the tray afterwards.

For the coating, prepare blancmange/pudding according to the instructions on the package, but with orange juice instead of water. Let cool, stir several times. Spread over the cake base.

Whip the cream with whipping cream stiffener, spread over the pudding layer.

Mix orange juice with rum. Dip the ladyfingers into this mixture and put them on top of the cake.

Melt the chocolate. Do not cover the entire cake with it, but just draw thin chocolate lines over its surface.

Enjoy!

Canzonett

Posted Wed Dec 6th, 2006 11:07pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Kärntner Kasnudeln
(recipe for about 16 medium sized Kasnudeln - I always tend to produce more filling mass than necessary for this amount of dough, however)

Noodle dough:
250g flour
1 tsp salt
1 egg
6-8 tbsp water or milk

Mix ingredients well in a bowl. Knead together into a smooth dough. Let dough rest for some hours (best overnight).

Filling:
500 g potatoes
500 g quark/"curd cheese"
1 tsp salt
50 g butter
50 g onion dices or leek
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp mint
1 tsp chervil
little marjoram

Boil potatoes, peel and mash them. Add quark. Cut onions/leek and garlic into tiny pieces, roast slightly in butter. Chop herbs. Knead all ingredients together, form small balls.

Form dough into a roll, cut off a slice and pull / roll it out to palm size. Put ball of dough on the middle of dough disk, fold into a crescent form. Be careful to press out all air, otherwise the noodle will burst open when you boil it! Fold the edges as seen in the picture (this technique is called "Krendeln").

Boil in salted water like usual pasta (ca 10 minutes).

Pour melted butter over noodles.
Tastes well combined with cabbage sallad (personally I don't like it, but it appears to be a traditional combination).

Enjoy!

Canzonett

Posted Wed Dec 6th, 2006 11:32pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Americans (yes, indeed!)

100 g butter or margarine
100 g sugar
1 pckg vanillin sugar
2 eggs
1 pckg blancmange/pudding powder (cream or almond taste)
250 g flour
3 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt

Stir fat until "foamy", add other ingredients by and by. Dough must be quite firm - if it appears too liquid, add a little more flour. Put heaps of dough (not too large!) on a baking tray with two tablespoons.

Preheat oven (175-200°C, Gas: 2-3). Bake for ca 15-20 min.
Brush some milk over the heaps after ca 10 min.

Garnish flat side of the "Americans" with sugar icing.

Bon appetit!

jemmo

Posted Sat Dec 9th, 2006 6:47pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Hiya !
I've been away from my computer for a couple of days and have just had a browse around the forum and found this new thread. Well, new to me anyway.
Oh yummy !!!
Most of these recipes sound gorgeous. Oh, my poor old waistline if I try to make them though...
Can I just ask...what is vanillin sugar, please ?
I've not come across this. Is it something you can get in the UK? Maybe it IS available in the UK but I've never bought it. Can someone advise me, please ?

Lovely Jane

Posted Sat Dec 9th, 2006 7:10pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_sugar

"vanillin" I think, is the name for vanilla sugar offered by dr.oetker - one of germany's most influencing companies when it comes to cooking and baking.

there are even cooking and baking books by dr.oetker. Recipies in there sometimes read like this:

"how to make a chocolate-cherry-cake"?
- go buy dr. oetker's readymade-package "chocolate-cherry-cake"