Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Mares

Posted Sat Nov 8th, 2008 6:14pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
Viennasix9, I have been thinking about roast potatoes, but I'm open to all suggestions.

A friend sent me this recipe, it was featured in the Boston Globe, as part of an article about friends who are British ex-pats living in the Boston area, and how they celebrate the holidays. I'm going to make this (though I'll halve the recipe for the mincemeat, as it makes much more than I'll need for it.) for one of the desserts.

Frangipani mince tartlets (Makes 24)

Pastry dough

1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup ground almonds
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
Pinch of salt
1 stick ( 1/2 cup) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 tbsp ice water
Flour (for sprinkling)

1. In a food processor, combine the flour, almonds, sugar, and salt. Pulse just to combine them.
2. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
3. Mix the egg and water together. Add the egg mixture and pulse just until the dough starts to clump. If it feels dry, add a few more drops of water.
4. Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap, form into a disk, and wrap securely. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Have on hand two 12-cup nonstick mini-muffin pans, and a 2 1/2-inch cookie cutter or one that is slightly larger than the cups in the pan.
6. Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured counter, roll one piece about 1/4-inch thick. Use the cutter to stamp out 12 rounds. Reshape and reroll the scraps. Press the dough into the cups and up the sides. Do the same with the remaining disk. Chill the pans for 15 minutes.

Frangipani

1 egg
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 cup ground almonds
2 cups mincemeat (see recipe)
1/3 cup sliced almonds

1. Set the oven at 400 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the egg, sugar, butter, and ground almonds.
3. Place a heaping teaspoon of mincemeat in each pastry shell. Top with a heaping teaspoon of almond mixture. If you use too much topping, it will run over the shells and stick to the pan. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
4. Bake the tartlets for 15 minutes or until the pastry and topping are golden.
5. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Use a blunt knife to remove the tarts from the pan and cool on a wire rack.

Mincemeat

Makes about 8 cups

2 cups golden raisins
2 cups dark raisins
2 cups currants
1 1/2 cups dried apricots, finely chopped
Grated rind and juice of 1 medium orange (about 1/2 cup juice)
Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup juice)
2 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
6 tbsp brandy, or more to taste

1. In a large bowl, combine golden and dark raisins, currants, apricots, orange and lemon rind and juices, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and brandy. Mix thoroughly.
2. Spoon the mincemeat into sterilized containers, seal with the lid, and store in a cool place for at least 1 week or for up to several months

Viennasix9

Posted Sat Nov 8th, 2008 6:58pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook
oh heavens

Mince meat and apricot plait

ready rolled flaky pastry sheet scored (not cut) into three sections
(3 long columns ) spread a healthy layer of mincemeat down the centre section
top with neatly arranged layer of tinned apricots (drained)

then cut diagonal strips into the side sections and fold in from top to form plait

shove in oven and bake at what ever it says on pastry wrapper until golden
serve with hideous amounts of thick cream

BEWARE VERY HOT WHEN FRESH FROM OVEN DO NOT SERVE IMMEDIATELY

Somebody

Posted Sun Nov 1st, 2009 1:19pm Post subject: From Monsieur Anatole's Cookbook

Hello everyone. I think this recipe is great so I'm going to try it out next weekend. I have one more question to ask: what about a special pan for mini muffin cooking? I've been searching for a site, where I could Buy mini muffin pans and could find only this site. Is it good? Or maybe there is one better?