Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Canzonett

Posted Fri Nov 17th, 2006 10:39pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
... and we are nowhere near as bad as people in the Netherlands with all their -je endings ...

Lovely Jane

Posted Fri Nov 17th, 2006 10:51pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Oh.. that's so cute

but it would be really interesting to know why some languages like english or the scandinavian languages (as wikipedia tells me) don't use or have these kind of suffixes

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 12:14am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Wait, hunchen or hundelein? I can never tell when to use which ending...

ClareBear

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 12:28am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
... and we are nowhere near as bad as people in the Netherlands with all their -je endings ...

I started learning Dutch first (well learning isn't the right word....abandoned in a country for 4 months without knowing the language, so my dutch is probably crappy but the natives humoured me anyway) so the -je suffixes seemed to make sense.

MinervaMoon

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 7:38am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

I always loved how the Germans create affectionate names with "i"s on the end instead of "ey" or "ie".

and we use ...chen or ...lein

Yes, of course--the diminuatives. Aww. I was just referring to the difference in abbreviation. That option isn't even open to us unless a parent is trying to be kitchy in naming his/her child (e.g., I have a friend named Jacqui). But whereas we'd go Jonathan/Johnny or Samuel/Sammie, the Germans naturally, er . . . Klinsmann/Klinsi!

Kari

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 8:13am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
German makes my head hurt. XD aww...

Stephen and Puppies... Can it get any more adorable?

So how do you address a mutt? if you DON"T like the dog?

MinervaMoon

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 9:31am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

I'm gonna say, as a "Hündinsohn". Which, of course, it is, whether you like it or not.

Canzonett

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 9:48am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I'm gonna say, as a "Hündinsohn".

Gender issues involved here, since "s--o-ab----" translates as "Hundesohn" ("s--o-adog"). Which sounds a little obsolete and Karl-Mayish to my ears, you probably wouldn't hear it being used in a streetfight over here.

Referring to a truly doggish mutt you might use "Köter", "Töle", "Drecksviech" or "Mistviech". (In Bavaria, add "Mistviech, elendiges").

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 9:55am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

A mutt is a German 'Köter'.
To make your head hurt even more I throw in the southern Bavarian diminutive forms We seldom use -chen but a jumbled up form of -lein, which is mostly pronounced -al.
A doggy would be a 'hundal' (with the n prolonged and the d almost being a 'soft t'.)
A kitten would be a 'Katzerl' (the r is mute, therefore it´s pronounced Katzal or Katzl).
A little girl is not a German Mädchen but a Madl, a bottle (Flasche) is a 'Flaschal'.

Where I come from (around Garmisch) it´s even more complicated. The diminutiv forms there are often -la or -le: Little girl = 'Mala', a bike (Fahrrad or Rad, in ordinary Bavarian 'Radl') is a 'Rala' etc. This extreme and very very old Language is considered impenetrable by most Germans and has brought up some delicate misunderstandings:
A few years ago the local newspaper reported that German tourists who were on holiday near Garmisch alarmed the police because they had encountered a few lads singing 'Nazi songs'. The police went to investigate what turned out to be absolutely harmless. What had happened? The tourists had been on a hiking trip and had come to a cabin where some young native Bavarians had been singing and playing. But they had of course not been singing Nazi songs but traditional Bavarian folk songs. Those songs are about love, nature, famer´s life and life on alps. Alp cabins in German are called 'Almhütte' or just 'Hütte'. In the natives´ dialect 'Hütte' is 'Hüttla' which is pronounced 'Hittla'. So the tourists didn´t understand anything at all except a word that sounded like 'Hittla' = 'Hitler', which is why they ran to inform the police.

Since Anglosaxon was part of the big family of northern and germanic Languages there are still many detectable relations:
English -kin, Dutch -ken and German -chen for example.

:-// I got carried away again. I didn´t want to spoil this lovely thread with my overlong musings about languages and dialects :-// Maybe it´s time we open an own 'language thread'.

Lovely Jane

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 11:08am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
*offers aspirins to present fryists in need*

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 12:23pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Ta, Lovely Jane. After re-reading my own drivel I now need one myself :-//

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 5:35pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I don't think I'm speaking out of school when I say: FVNQEPFGH0MGEQF0FV0EQV0QE

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 5:40pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Thanks so much for the pics, Fryphile! That has to be one of my favorite sketches EVER. I usually completely lose it right around "cancey-wancey". Even my mom practically rolled in the floor when she saw it.

Thanks again and I can't wait for next week. Hope you enjoyed your day off.

The timing of that was hilarious.

Stephen: Cancer?
Hugh: Yes.
Stephen: Cancer of the liver?
Hugh: Yes.
(pause, almost as if his character might mature when faced with mortality. Then . . .)
Stephen: Cancey wancey?
X-D X-D X-D X-D

I spent my day loafing, so it was faaaaaaaaaantastic!

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Jenn_E

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 10:40pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Mmmmm.... yummy. Another favorite shot. My upstairs monitor is quite familiar with that image. FVNQEPFGH0MGEQF0FV0EQV0QE, indeed.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Nov 19th, 2006 4:41pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Tiger claw! ATTACK!

Yep, that's Simon Callow.