Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2007 2:57pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
This week's theme is: Where's Stephen?

I'll post a picture of Stephen in a crowd and you'll have to use your skill and judgment to locate him. Answers will be posted the following day. Be warned: the "Where's Stephenness" will grow increasingly difficult as the week advances until you're tragically squinting at the monitor, slashing your eyelashes across the screen, and irrevocably damaging your retinas. Please do not repost the picture with, for example, an MS Painted arrow pointing at Stephen, as this might reveal the answer before someone has a chance to properly play along. Simply touch the screen where you think Stephen is, and if you're right, Opal Fruits/Starbursts will tumble from your computer as a reward. If you're wrong, your finger will fall off.

Here we go:

Not responsible for damaged retinas.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

ClareBear

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2007 3:00pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Oh easy.

Soupy Twist

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2007 3:17pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Ha, opal fruits are tumbling from my computer.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2007 3:26pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
*can'tspeakchewingopalfruits*

Assuming direct control...

whattocallmyself

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2007 4:08pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Even I got that one!

Onwards and Upwards!

ClareBear

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2007 4:56pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I ordered Fruit Pastilles instead.

*scoffs*

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2007 5:32pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

I'll post a picture of Stephen in a crowd and you'll have to use your skill and judgment to locate him. Answers will be posted the following day. Be warned: the "Where's Stephenness" will grow increasingly difficult as the week advances until you're tragically squinting at the monitor, slashing your eyelashes across the screen, and irrevocably damaging your retinas. Please do not repost the picture with, for example, an MS Painted arrow pointing at Stephen, as this might reveal the answer before someone has a chance to properly play along. Simply touch the screen where you think Stephen is, and if you're right, Opal Fruits/Starbursts will tumble from your computer as a reward. If you're wrong, your finger will fall off.

Opal Fruits, how appropriate for this particular picture...

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2007 6:03pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Opal Fruits, how appropriate for this particular picture...

Why? Does this picture make your mouth water?

I'm very short-sighted, so playing "Where's Stephen?" is pretty hard for me, but I think I found him in this one...

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2007 6:08pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
My sister found him too but she cried because no Opal Fruits came out of the monitor for her! I ate them all! :-//

Assuming direct control...

absolutely curtains

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2007 11:45pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Ah, I remember the good old days when they were called Opal Fruits...

I'm more of a Chocolate Buttons person myself. Can I have them instead?

*has them instead :-D*

ShaylaMorris

Posted Tue Aug 14th, 2007 5:05am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Dumb American here. What are Opal Fruits? :-//

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Aug 14th, 2007 8:00am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
No, you're not dumb. I think they are another example of a product having a perfectly good and popular name in Britain for decades and then the American owners decide we should call it the same thing they do. So Marathons became snickers, Treats became peanut M&Ms, Minstrels became chocolate M&Ms and Opal Fruiits (made to make your mouth water!) became Starburst (groan!).
It doesn't bother me too much because I'm not a great sweet eater (hence my solitary filling), but if American companies are going to fiddle with our sweets they could at least do us the courtesy of making Reeses Pieces and Reese's Peanut Buter Cups available in the UK as compensation.
Finding Stephen was easy - I am still waiting for my grapefruit flavoured Starbursts. Those were my faves from the 'summer fruits' packets.

ShaylaMorris

Posted Tue Aug 14th, 2007 8:40am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Thank you for the fill in. Oh if you want Reeses Pieces and Reese's Peanut Buter Cups wait two more months and I'll send out a package. It's not right that a child should not know the joy of sucking out peanut butter and have a hallow choclate shell.

ratoutofhell

Posted Tue Aug 14th, 2007 10:04am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
No, you're not dumb. I think they are another example of a product having a perfectly good and popular name in Britain for decades and then the American owners decide we should call it the same thing they do. So Marathons became snickers, Treats became peanut M&Ms, Minstrels became chocolate M&Ms and Opal Fruiits (made to make your mouth water!) became Starburst (groan!).
It doesn't bother me too much because I'm not a great sweet eater (hence my solitary filling), but if American companies are going to fiddle with our sweets they could at least do us the courtesy of making Reeses Pieces and Reese's Peanut Buter Cups available in the UK as compensation.
Finding Stephen was easy - I am still waiting for my grapefruit flavoured Starbursts. Those were my faves from the 'summer fruits' packets.

Minstrels are still Minstrels, surely? They're much bigger than M&Ms (so you get fewer in a packet).

With you on the grapefruit Starbursts, though. Yummy.

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

ClareBear

Posted Tue Aug 14th, 2007 10:33am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Minstrels are still Minstrels, so fear not.