Unregistered

Posted Fri Sep 21st, 2007 3:17pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
"Never mind, Stephen old chap. Life could be delish with a sunny disposish!"

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Sep 22nd, 2007 4:33pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
So what's the weather like down there?

Oh, he's begging for a GLOMPING.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

whattocallmyself

Posted Sat Sep 22nd, 2007 5:27pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

I can always do the Glomping..

That is such a nice picture.

Onwards and Upwards!

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 4:19pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
MEIN HANDY!

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 6:01pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Not sure what you meant, Fryphile. To us English speakers 'handy' means 'convenient or useful' (as in 'that's handy'), 'able to perform a variety of tasks' (as in 'my husband is very handy around the house') or 'immediately available to hand' (as in 'Have you got a pen handy?')
However, to German speakers (and this is hilarious when they say it in English, not realising the linguistic difference) 'handy' means 'cell phone'. Hence confusing conversations like:

Herr Schmidt: "Have you seen my handy?"
Mr Smith (assuming he has used an adjective without a noun): "Your handy what?"

Sorry to be pedantic, but when you (an ENglish speaker) type 'mein handy', I'm not sure if your referring to Stephen's mobile phone with correct German, or saying something else entirely.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 6:32pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Fryphile is referring to the last episode of QI where Mr Fry was mocking the German habit of referring to a mobile phone as a handy, which, according to him, sounds "incredibly camp": "Mein Handy, wo ist mein Handy? Ich habe mein Handy verloren." See also here.
By the way, plenty of Germans are aware of the linguistic difference and would never use "Handy" instead of mobile in an English conversation. But in German "Handy" has become the established term for a mobile phone (I've only rarely heard the formal term "Mobiltelefon" in spoken German). It's not certain where this comes from. It is known that companies like Motorola named their earliest mobiles "handy" - short for "hand-held". Given the fondness of Germans of everything that sounds remotely English, this might have stuck and worked its way into German vocabulary.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Sep 24th, 2007 9:25am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
MEIN HANDY!

*squeals*

That had to be one of the most cutest moments in QI ever. ^_^

Assuming direct control...

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Mon Sep 24th, 2007 1:32pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Stephen's effeminate German is, without a doubt, one of the best things I've ever seen!

"Wo ist mein Handy? Ich habe mein Handy verloren!" You can borrow mine, Stephen.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Sep 24th, 2007 2:23pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
In hono(u)r of the truimphant return of QI, it's time for (cue exciting theme music) QI Lottery Week!

First, give me a number from 1-3.
Then another number from 1-17.
Then another number from 1-11.
And lastly one more number from 1-20.

Example: 1, 11, 5, 15 will be:

And voila! You'll have a juicy, pink piccy of Stephen. Or possibly Alan. Or possibly another panelist. Who knows what you'll get? If that doesn't send a frisky ferret up your trouser leg of adventure and anticipation, then this metaphor should be stopped. One entry per day per person, pretty please with pumpkin pudding on popcorn.

whattocallmyself

Posted Mon Sep 24th, 2007 7:14pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
First, give me a number from 1-3. ---- 3
Then another number from 1-17. ---15
Then another number from 1-11. ----8
And lastly one more number from 1-20. ----19

3-15-8-19

Onwards and Upwards!

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Sep 24th, 2007 7:26pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
For banjo:

don't pull it that hard

For whattocallmyself?:

whattocallmyself

Posted Mon Sep 24th, 2007 7:35pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
X-D how cute!

Onwards and Upwards!

ysabella

Posted Mon Sep 24th, 2007 7:57pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
My husband wants that handy-phone bit as a ringtone on his phone. Is anybody set up to make a lil' mp3 of it?

It was hilarious. My colleagues in France mostly called it a handy phone, too. I think it's an early brand name that got co-opted, like Kleenex or Xerox in the US.

Fryphile, 2-13-7-9 purty please.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Sep 24th, 2007 8:08pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
oh this is the most fun i've had since the hogs ate my little brother up.

ClareBear

Posted Mon Sep 24th, 2007 8:08pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
3-6-7-18