Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 9:44am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

I suspect it was one of the elves. At a particularly punny moment in the game, Stephen says something like, "or so my pun writers tell me."

I'd like to see Stephen waltz.

Oh, I see, thanks for sharing your "suspicion" !
Is the DVD fun to play, by the way, Fryphile?

I´d love to see Stephen waltz *sighs*

At the risk of getting kicked out, but Vienna is the perfect place for waltzing (not only for the obvious reason, but because of the "Ball Season" in the course of which almost 400 balls will be held in January alone! So get those dancing shoes out, dears!!

http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache:Ceca0WYB-rcJ:.....&gl=uk

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 10:16am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I've never been to a ball or know of anyone who has. Have you or do you know anyone who has? I'm not sure they even still happen in the UK.

I think I'd be out of place anyway. My idea of a good pair of dancing shoes are my Docs! Hehe. Perfect for stomping to Rammstein. X-D I've never danced to anything like classical before. That would be so cool though. ^_^

This is no exaggeration, for almost every sector of public life in the city has its own special ball. And for many international businesspeople and tourists attending a ball is the highlight of their trip to Vienna, too.

Wait a minute normal ordinary people can go to these things?! I thought it was just for royalty and aristocrats. Like an elite few.

Assuming direct control...

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 2:26pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

This is no exaggeration, for almost every sector of public life in the city has its own special ball. And for many international businesspeople and tourists attending a ball is the highlight of their trip to Vienna, too.

Wait a minute normal ordinary people can go to these things?! I thought it was just for royalty and aristocrats. Like an elite few.

You can even attend the famous Wiener Opernball, given that you can afford the ticket. I'd love to experience the atmosphere there, all the ladies in their evening gowns and the gents in white tie, the splendid opera house and everything and everyone so elegant. It's a shame that I should happen to be such a rotten dancer...
Oh, by the way, Gerti, you know what we say about our dear Austrian neighbours? That you're obsessed with academic titles. No German would ever introduce or greet someone as "Frau Magister", "Herr Diplominformatiker" etc. And that's what I admire whenever I watch the Wiener Opernball on TV: How on earth do the two Austrian hosts manage to remember all those titles?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 3:16pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

You can even attend the famous Wiener Opernball, given that you can afford the ticket. I'd love to experience the atmosphere there, all the ladies in their evening gowns and the gents in white tie, the splendid opera house and everything and everyone so elegant. It's a shame that I should happen to be such a rotten dancer...
Oh, by the way, Gerti, you know what we say about our dear Austrian neighbours? That you're obsessed with academic titles. No German would ever introduce or greet someone as "Frau Magister", "Herr Diplominformatiker" etc. And that's what I admire whenever I watch the Wiener Opernball on TV: How on earth do the two Austrian hosts manage to remember all those titles?

I'm sure you're not that bad. It does sound and look lovely on the sites linked. Just looking at the 360 degree panoramic tour for one of them. The building is so beautiful.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 3:53pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Scottish:

Street:

Stephen is a mover

and a groover.

Momma said knock you out. So he's gonna knock you out.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 3:59pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Is the DVD fun to play, by the way, Fryphile?

I've only played it once and that was more for capping purposes. It is very engaging. I'm sure it'd be easy to pour an entire afternoon into the game.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 4:00pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
No Stephen! Don't go street!!! Me no likey!!! :'( *pouncesstephenandcries*

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 4:02pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Fryphile will not be amused I did not mean to disrupt his thread :-//

amyl_nitrate: I am glad you like the website, I have been to a ball, great experience, but not for someone whose system shuts down at 10pm
Soupy Twist: The Opernball is a farce and a rip-off (especially with guests like Paris Hilton ), and yes we are indeed obsessed with academic titles, dates back from imperial times, what can you do? I usually ignore that "rule" and when someone addresses me by Frau + academic title I´ll tell them that I answer to the perfectly good surname of K. X-D
Re Opernball: the dancefloor is mounted on top of rows of seats and the flowers are donated to old peoples´ homes the following day
So you know Alfons Haider then, Soupy - he is "our" Stephen Fry (except that he can sing and dance, too )

Back to you Fryphile and accept my apologies :-//

I've only played it once and that was more for capping purposes. It is very engaging.

I think I´d spend most of the time staring at Stephen´s bowties and be-ringed hands :-// X-D

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 4:14pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
amyl_nitrate: I am glad you like the website, I have been to a ball, great experience, but not for someone whose system shuts down at 10pm

When I'm out at the goth/industrial/punk nights I can keep going as late as three in the morning non-stop dancing like a mad bouncy thing. I'd keep going but they tend to close then or earlier [wahh] and I have to get dragged away by friends.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 4:35pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Anyone can talk about anything here. Stephen-related or not. It doesn't matter. But come the break of dawn, there will be a freshly-squeezed Fry pic to guzzle

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 4:38pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Anyone can talk about anything here. Stephen-related or not. It doesn't matter. But come the break of dawn, there will be a freshly-squeezed Fry pic to guzzle

mmm *guzzlesstephenforbreakfast*

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 6:30pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
So with Fryphile's gentle permission let's entertain ourselves with some chitchat until he posts the next pic to guzzle.

Soupy Twist: The Opernball is a farce and a rip-off (especially with guests like Paris Hilton ), and yes we are indeed obsessed with academic titles, dates back from imperial times, what can you do? I usually ignore that "rule" and when someone addresses me by Frau + academic title I´ll tell them that I answer to the perfectly good surname of K. X-D
Re Opernball: the dancefloor is mounted on top of rows of seats and the flowers are donated to old peoples´ homes the following day
So you know Alfons Haider then, Soupy - he is "our" Stephen Fry (except that he can sing and dance, too )

The thing is, the Opernball is the only traditional ball I know, and certainly the one with the most beautiful setting. I know that it is ridiculously expensive and overcrowded. As someone "of the people", that is without a rented opera box, I'd be unlikely to see anything. But I confess, I always watch it on TV. It's really amazing how they manage to transform the auditorium into a ballroom and back into an auditorium in the course of a few days. The yearly live broadcast on ORF introduced me to Mr Haider, who is sehr fesch und charmant indeed. And he knows all the titles! A friend and I used to celebrate the Opernball broadcast with bubbly, commenting on all the robes, decoration and guests (Mr Lugner and his "special guests" are a disgrace). Very enjoyable

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 7:13pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
So with Fryphile's gentle permission let's entertain ourselves with some chitchat until he posts the next pic to guzzle.

The thing is, the Opernball is the only traditional ball I know, [....]. The yearly live broadcast on ORF introduced me to Mr Haider, who is sehr fesch und charmant indeed. And he knows all the titles! A friend and I used to celebrate the Opernball broadcast with bubbly, commenting on all the robes, decoration and guests (Mr Lugner and his "special guests" are a disgrace). Very enjoyable

How kind of you, Fryphile, but I´ll make it quick...
I suppose you get better views via the telly...
I´ll watch the broadcast this year as well as I like Alfons Haider (he is a great entertainer and show host as well and exactly 3 months younger than Mr Fry, and the things they have in common don´t end there ), but Mr Lugner and his guests will probably make me go crimson with embarrassment and irritation... But let me nevertheless wish you an enjoyable evening with some bubbly, Frau Ober-Sektkorken-Knallenlassen-Meister X-D X-D

And now let´s sit back and wait impatiently for the next pictorial Fry Fest ("Alles Fry!")

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 7:38pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Paris Hilton is not my idea of class. Lowers the tone a bit.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Jan 6th, 2008 11:48am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
You know what would be cool? A masquerade ball. I love masks, so pretty. ^_^ Am I the only who found the evening dresses the women wearing in the pictures for the Opern Ball kind of boring? I think if you're going to dress up you should go all out and look really beautiful. I've never been one for simple, basic or minimal (except in functional, daily casual wear). I mean just think of all the beautiful Victorian style chokers beaded or lace you could be wearing and instead I see women wearing what to me looks like gaudy jewellery (big ass diamonds are just yucky).