Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu Nov 30th, 2006 11:23am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

I´ve heard about Matthew Sheppard and Westboro Baptist Church. But those things don´t only happen in the states but anywhere in this world, and it seems to get worse. I´m ashamed of mankind. One should have imagined that after gay people were killed in Nazi concentration camps people would have learned something.
It pains me that people who never did any harm to anybody and who just want to live their lives in peace and quiet get hurt by self-appointed and intolerant moralists. There´s no answer to that, only tears.:'(

Yes, it is indeed all very sad. We – allegedly – live in a tolerant society, but I fail to spot said tolerance, no matter where I look. There is this ubiquitous lack of respect that makes me despair! It is termed bullying and mobbing nowadays. And in its worst form it will lead to tragedies like those mentioned above. What is society coming to, I wonder? Life nowadays is so fast-paced that we can´t seem to find the time to “stop and stare”, we don´t take a moment to pause and take in the world around us. People use earphones whilst sitting on the bus, they play games on their mobile phones – shutting out the world around them. Text messages replace the human voice. Eye contact is usually avoided. This sort of behaviour is bound to build barriers between individuals, at the same time creating suspicion and wariness. Differences are emphasised, rather than similarities. This element of the unknown creeps in, and the unknown is likely to arouse more suspicion and wariness. And, of course, there may be no time (or interest) to find out more about those differences, it may be easier to just take a stand against them. Ignorance makes a formidable fiend. I reckon that perpetrators of such horrid crimes have never spoken to members of society they consider to be “other” to see for themselves that they are just “like everyone else” (very unfortunate wording I am afraid, why should they NOT be like everyone else, but I cannot think of a more appropriate phrase). What gives anyone the right to disrespect another person for being different? Megalomania? Taking oneself as the standard, the measure of all things? Is that a result of said self-inflicted isolation, do people lose the ability to put things into perspective?
Well, I don´t know, the whole situation just depresses me deeply sometimes… it is so unfair and I hate to see my friend getting hurt by ignorant so-and-soes :'( (forgive my babbling...)

Kari

Posted Thu Nov 30th, 2006 11:45am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
It's not babbling. It gives me faith in the human race. Nice to know people still do think. Nice to know people DO care. Nice to know that people want to change things. Nice to know at least some people mourn the loss of a good person whose only crime was who he loved.

It's amazing, we say we've come so far in Human Rights.
In the movie Borat, he stops off in Texas. His way of greeting everyone is to kiss them, man or woman. And the Texan he talks to... he made me shake with anger. He was anti-semitic, anti-muslim, anti-iraq and extremely homophobic. He said he wanted to crush everyone in Iraq. And the State Motto of TEXAS is friendship.

What is so frightening about people who are different? The boys who beat Matthew Sheppard tied him to a fence to die. He was just a young man. What threat did he present? How in the hell are different people threatening?

The world makes me so sad sometimes. The knowledge that so many of my friends and the people that I care about. That anyone, people I potentially could love, are being murdered, being persecuted, being made to feel inhuman, simply because they dress differently, they're from a different culture, they love people of the same sex.

I wish I could protect everyone from each other.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Nov 30th, 2006 1:55pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
It's not babbling. It gives me faith in the human race. Nice to know people still do think. Nice to know people DO care. Nice to know that people want to change things. Nice to know at least some people mourn the loss of a good person whose only crime was who he loved.

It's amazing, we say we've come so far in Human Rights.
In the movie Borat, he stops off in Texas. His way of greeting everyone is to kiss them, man or woman. And the Texan he talks to... he made me shake with anger. He was anti-semitic, anti-muslim, anti-iraq and extremely homophobic. He said he wanted to crush everyone in Iraq. And the State Motto of TEXAS is friendship.

What is so frightening about people who are different? The boys who beat Matthew Sheppard tied him to a fence to die. He was just a young man. What threat did he present? How in the hell are different people threatening?

The world makes me so sad sometimes. The knowledge that so many of my friends and the people that I care about. That anyone, people I potentially could love, are being murdered, being persecuted, being made to feel inhuman, simply because they dress differently, they're from a different culture, they love people of the same sex.

I wish I could protect everyone from each other.

Did you see that clip of Borat going over to somewhere like Texas pretending to be a redneck and started singing in a bar a song about throwing Jews down a well and awful stuff like that as a joke but the people in the bar believed him and joined in. Disturbing viewing. You can watch the clip here on youtube.

It sometimes feels like we're going backwards. We're supposed to be more tolerant yet on a regular almost daily basis I am surrounded by racists and homophobes. Jokes about both groups abound. It's depressing.

Assuming direct control...

Kari

Posted Thu Nov 30th, 2006 2:04pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
It sure is depressing. My friend is having a hard time coming out to her friends, and she has a homophobic brother. He likes to "Beat Fags". It feels like tolerant people are getting more tolerant, and people who are intolerant are getting less and less tolerant.

Wildean

Posted Thu Nov 30th, 2006 2:20pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

that nearly killed me!!! .....in a good way of course.....

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu Nov 30th, 2006 2:47pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
FryPhile can we see any pictures of Jeeves wearing his 'black sleeve thingies' pwease? *wide eyed and hopeful*

I endeavor to give satisfaction. Sexily.

They're holding hands after doing the "Black Sleeve Thingies Dance of Gaiety."

Berties wuvs the black sleeve thingies so much. Mmmm...must...kees...them.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Kari

Posted Thu Nov 30th, 2006 2:49pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Does Bertie realise how lucky he is? With a man like that running around his house!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Nov 30th, 2006 3:29pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

I endeavor to give satisfaction. Sexily.

SQUEAL!!!!!!! \^0^/ \^0^/ \^0^/

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!

*dances around doing the dizzy black sleeves thingies dance of gaity*

*faints*

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu Nov 30th, 2006 3:55pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
FryPhile can we see any pictures of Jeeves wearing his 'black sleeve thingies' pwease? *wide eyed and hopeful*

I endeavor to give satisfaction.

Oh Fryphile (!) How long did it take you to find these gems Adorable (sigh!)
THANKS (!) (hm-ta-ta-hm-ta-ta... sorry, doing a bit of "black sleeve thingies" waltzing in my office to celebrate the occasion - hey (!) )

btw, I used above phrase in an email to a work colleague who thanked me for getting a job finished in time - and he emailed back: YOU like Jeeves?? NOW WHO DOESN´T (some work colleagues.... )

stomper4x4

Posted Thu Nov 30th, 2006 6:18pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
The EVIL!SHADOWY!JEEVES! is now my desktop. It makes me shiver every time I look at it.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Dec 1st, 2006 5:40pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
You've had a busy week, Jeeves. As Luke Skywalker said to Bib Fortuna, "You serve your master well. And you will be rewarded." So go collect your award, Jeeves.

Jeeves gets more tail than a toilet seat.

Psst, Bertie loves you.

LOLING!Jeeves

Dear Playgirl Magazine, enclosed please find pictures of Mr. Wooster. I believe they would make an excellent addition to your fine publication.

I didn’t know Bertie wore lipstick

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

stomper4x4

Posted Fri Dec 1st, 2006 5:42pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
There's just something about this scene and these screencaps that make me grin.

Thanks again for making this thread great, FryPhile

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Dec 1st, 2006 6:06pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
My favourite is the fourth one. He looks so lovely in that picture. Who doesn't love this scene? It's one of my favourites. It's nice to see that Jeeves can cut loose sometimes.

Skadoo

Posted Fri Dec 1st, 2006 6:55pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
yay! one of my favorite scenes from the Jeeves and Wooster series! Jeeves is a stone cold pimp with the ladies

here's the scene on youtube so you can get your 'swoon' on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwDjp2tck-M

Jenn_E

Posted Fri Dec 1st, 2006 7:23pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
This is the first chance I've had to check in over the last few days, and oh my! the loveliness. Thanks, thanks, and thanks again Fryphile! You are quite Jeeves-ian in your dedication and capabilities. Kudos to you! Hope everyone has a perfectly lovely weekend.