Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 5:01pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I've been listening to his Blips. Well three of them, it said Mozart isn't available.

I got an irksome error message using the link from Twitter, but it plays fine for me on Blip's site. An excellent piece.

Here's the Wilde poster.

Might as well follow him into his librarinth.

I wonder what my Fluffettes are up to . . .

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

nongenderous

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 5:02pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
BAH, FAILZ. MINEZ IZ DECEMBER 16TH AND THERE IZ FREE CAKEZ!!!

HAH! MY BIRTHDAY IS ON DECEMBER 3RD, AND HE'S INVITED!

Soph

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 5:53pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

lol, If only ! xD

I'd forgotten how many books he has, it is like on Beauty and the Beast.

I was too busy drooling over the number of books. I'm the kind of saddo who get's too excited in libraries and bookshops. I just wanna stay forever reading.

You're not sad at all, amyl. I'm the same, I love discovering a new library and the excitement of the first look around. : ]

Photobucket

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 6:37pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Lol, that even looks like a library style book cart to the right of him too.

Fryphile, you have an eye for detail and I know if I am ever in need of knowledge I shall never doubt again that if anyone has the answer, you do

That is one beefy mac though!!

You're not sad amy at all. I have a vastly growing pile of books (a meagre collection comparitively) and I'm so interested to read all of them I get frustrated that I can't start reading them all at once! I think ambition to read shows the ambition for acquisition of knowledge. And no one (at least not here) is going to begrudge anyone that *grins*.

mp xxxx

@dreamingshadow

Hope

Member *

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 6:59pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Oh my, I would love to own that many books, it makes me so happy just looking at them! The 7th and 8th photos in that set are perfection.
His house is gorgeous... and his eyes as well - so blue and lovely, especially in the blip photo.

I was too busy drooling over the number of books. I'm the kind of saddo who get's too excited in libraries and bookshops. I just wanna stay forever reading.

I love finding new bookshops and librarys too - there's a lovely second hand bookshop that's just opened near where I live with huge roof-high shelves and little corners where you can go and sit - it also smells lovely in there, that old musty book smell (I mentioned this to someone once and they looked at me as if it were entirely ridiculous. It may well be, but anyway...).

Librarys are, as Stephen himself said on Room 101, divine.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 7:33pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I've been listening to his Blips. Well three of them, it said Mozart isn't available.

I got an irksome error message using the link from Twitter, but it plays fine for me on Blip's site. An excellent piece.

I've checked the FAQ it says that can happen if something happens to where the track is hosted like it can disappear if the site's down so it won't play.

Here's the Wilde poster.

There it is!

*glibble*

I'd forgotten how many books he has, it is like on Beauty and the Beast.

I'd forgotten too! It reminds me of this second hand bookshop I went to in Wigtown, Scotland where they had books everywhere, in every nook and cranny, on the stairs, in towering piles all over the floor.

You're not sad at all, amyl. I'm the same, I love discovering a new library and the excitement of the first look around. : ]

Aww. You're so kind Soph. *huggles*

Lol, that even looks like a library style book cart to the right of him too.

That's what I was thinking. It makes it look even more like a library.

You're not sad amy at all. I have a vastly growing pile of books (a meagre collection comparitively) and I'm so interested to read all of them I get frustrated that I can't start reading them all at once! I think ambition to read shows the ambition for acquisition of knowledge. And no one (at least not here) is going to begrudge anyone that *grins*.

mp xxxx

That's true. Acquisiton of knowledge is always good. I don't understand people who just stop learning and become static and stagnant and don't care anymore. Like when they leave education they think it no longer matters and was only ever there as a means to an end rather than for the fun and joy it can be.

I get frustrated too. I want to read everything at once. I can get very indecisive too like at the moment there's so many books I want to start reading I haven't a clue which to read next. I have a few on the go already.

I love finding new bookshops and librarys too - there's a lovely second hand bookshop that's just opened near where I live with huge roof-high shelves and little corners where you can go and sit - it also smells lovely in there, that old musty book smell (I mentioned this to someone once and they looked at me as if it were entirely ridiculous. It may well be, but anyway...).

Librarys are, as Stephen himself said on Room 101, divine.

I'm so jealous of you having a place like that. In Huddersfield our bookshops are limited to two Waterstones (one's diddysized, the other used to be Ottakers and is so much better), a WHSmith (pfft) and a relatively new Oxfam Books (yay) - oh my god I can't walk past Oxfam Books without going in and coming out with armfuls of books. :-// See I just wanna read everything! I particularly appreciate the psychology/sociology section as there's fuck all of these type of books anywhere else bar the university. mmm I love the musty smell of old books too.

Assuming direct control...

Hope

Member *

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 8:17pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Acquisiton of knowledge is always good. I don't understand people who just stop learning and become static and stagnant and don't care anymore. Like when they leave education they think it no longer matters and was only ever there as a means to an end rather than for the fun and joy it can be.

I agree - I actually feel that I learn more now I have left compulsory education as I like to seek out new things and find out what things mean. One of the things I like best about Stephen Fry is the way he makes me think about language; If I'm ever doing nothing in particular I find myself thinking about words and their definitions and derivations which I really like. It's always a great pleasure discovering new words to use.

I've also recently become rather interested in the Universe and how everything fits together and influences each other - there is so much to know! I simply don't understand whey people don't want to learn when there is so much information freely available!

I'm so jealous of you having a place like that. In Huddersfield our bookshops are limited to two Waterstones (one's diddysized, the other used to be Ottakers and is so much better), a WHSmith (pfft) and a relatively new Oxfam Books (yay) - oh my god I can't walk past Oxfam Books without going in and coming out with armfuls of books. :-// See I just wanna read everything! I particularly appreciate the psychology/sociology section as there's fuck all of these type of books anywhere else bar the university. mmm I love the musty smell of old books too.

Oxfam Book shops are brilliant. My parents went away for the night to see a band and visited a Oxfam Books and have bought me back a copy of Maurice by E. M. Forster.

Here in terms of shops there is the new second-hand one, a Waterstones and a WHSmith. I like the second-hand one best as it feels much more homely and I don't feel as self concious standing in there. Some shops just feel more welcoming than others.

At the moment I'm desperately searching for a job so I can buy more books - so expensive but so lovely!

Mushroomoid Miss

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 8:23pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Photobucket

Oh sweet jesus!!!

Soph gets argyle!Stephen

I went to Primark the other day and bought myself an argyle jumper, which, incidentally, I'm wearing right now. It only cost me £8! I do love Primark!

http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/GarlandGir.....Jumper.jpg

I've rather misunderstood Burt and his bat sperm.

AlmightyNaji

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 8:25pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
[quote="Mushroomoid Miss"]

I went to Primark the other day and bought myself an argyle jumper, which, incidentally, I'm wearing right now. It only cost me £8! I do love Primark!

http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/GarlandGir.....Jumper.jpg Wow, I really like that jumper... Looks good on you!

Mushroomoid Miss

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 8:28pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Why thank you. :-//

I've rather misunderstood Burt and his bat sperm.

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 9:38pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I'd forgotten too! It reminds me of this second hand bookshop I went to in Wigtown, Scotland where they had books everywhere, in every nook and cranny, on the stairs, in towering piles all over the floor.

Like Black Books :O

One of the things I like best about Stephen Fry is the way he makes me think about language; If I'm ever doing nothing in particular I find myself thinking about words and their definitions and derivations which I really like. It's always a great pleasure discovering new words to use.

If you've ever had access to a subscription to the OED online then you would know how much fun it can be - when I studied English Language at A level my school had a subscription (I don't know why, no one ever used it, and it cost a fair bit) and you could see all the ways a word has changed, and the different places it had been used to mean different things. My english teacher used to start every other english lesson with a talk about the word 'gay' (an occurance which is made ten times funnier since watching ABOFAL).

And I approve of the jumper :D. I've said it before but we Fluffettes are an attractive bunch :D. I think it's our mental beauty that just overflows into the skin :D:D:D:D.

mp xxxx

@dreamingshadow

Hope

Member *

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 10:19pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

If you've ever had access to a subscription to the OED online then you would know how much fun it can be - when I studied English Language at A level my school had a subscription (I don't know why, no one ever used it, and it cost a fair bit) and you could see all the ways a word has changed, and the different places it had been used to mean different things. My english teacher used to start every other english lesson with a talk about the word 'gay' (an occurance which is made ten times funnier since watching ABOFAL).

Haha, that sounds brilliant! I think it's ace when you see something or hear something that takes on an extra meaning due to something else (does that make sense?). Oh, are there any Adam & Joe fans here? On their radio show there is a on-going joke about shouting STEPHEN!! (not related to Mr. Fry) in public places. Whenever I see my friend Stephen I can't help but want to shout at him in that manner.

The 'word gay' and 'language' sketches are fabulous.

The OED online looks really interesting - I'll have to see if my college have it as they have quite a few things on the library network thingy. I didn't know that OED Online did Word Of The Day as well, have only ever seen the dictionary.com one which I like checking, so now I can have a look at that one too. Thanks.

Just thoughy I'd say, I also like the jumper.

Katrina

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 10:25pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
It's impossible for Stephen to take a bad picture of himself. The books behind him remind me of the beginning of WDYTYA.

The first thing on WDYTYA that got my attention was the "Wilde"-Poster on the wall. But yeah- books! I'm working on a library tike that myself though it might take me a while to achive.it. 20 till 30 years or so.

There's a Wilde poster? I didn't even notice that. I was too busy drooling over the number of books. I'm the kind of saddo who get's too excited in libraries and bookshops. I just wanna stay forever reading.

Oh no, I totally sit in the liberal arts library all the time and read Jeeves and Wooster. I can't check them out until Christmas, though, because if I do I know I won't read my school stuff and I'll flunk out of college and become homeless! X-D

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 10:29pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
The OED online looks really interesting - I'll have to see if my college have it as they have quite a few things on the library network thingy. I didn't know that OED Online did Word Of The Day as well, have only ever seen the dictionary.com one which I like checking, so now I can have a look at that one too. Thanks.

Lol I get the dictionary.com word of the day by e-mail. Can't say I've remembered any of them as yet, but here's hoping!

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow

Katrina

Posted Sun Nov 30th, 2008 10:38pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Here's the Wilde poster.

Might as well follow him into his librarinth.

Okay, a) His house looks awesome, and I want to hang out there (which is NOT stalkerish at all... :-// ), b) Maybe he has people over, but there are a buttload of coats hanging up X-D, c) He took his jacket off quite sexily

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...