Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 4:23pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Caption: I would have never expected them to offer me a delicious piece of Sperl Torte with whipped cream - now where is that Einspänner to wash it down with??

Oh dear, only one other person in this country will understand this joke (should he ever happen to read it...)

Hey Fryphile, you are so RELIABLE - conscientiously posting one SF pic a day - so I know where to go when I am at breaking point Ta.

Carry on (!) (!) Please...

Canzonett

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 7:12pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Maybe not an Einspänner for me, but I could do with a gigantic, sweet, hot, schlagoberish mug of hot chocolate now. It is so chillingly cold outside that I almost felt reminded of my former Swedish university. Apart from the fact that 2°C in Munich feel much colder than -7°C in Umeå since our Bavarian cold is of the sneaky, damp sort that slowly creeps into your clothes. At least it began to snow when I cycled home ... If that snow didn't melt away so quickly, it might lighten up the darkness a bit.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 7:49pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Caption: I would have never expected them to offer me a delicious piece of Sperl Torte with whipped cream - now where is that Einspänner to wash it down with??

Oh dear, only one other person in this country will understand this joke (should he ever happen to read it...)

Hey Fryphile, you are so RELIABLE - conscientiously posting one SF pic a day - so I know where to go when I am at breaking point Ta.

Carry on (!) (!) Please...

*hair blows as that joke flies over my head*

NOTHING can stop me from posting pics of His Fryness!!!

Except that poisoned sandwich I just ate. Wait . . .

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Holly Tree

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 9:45pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Thank you, Fryphile, for staying true to your word and posting these lovely pics for us.

Now, I'm sure you've seen this before, but it's always worth another look, and I'm posting it especially for you. It probably belongs in the Television, Movies etc. section, but alas, there are no threads for Whose line is it Anyway!

Anyhoo....

Here's Mr. Wonderful 'assuming the position' for your delight and enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWsnAezqfCg&mode=related&search=

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 10:13pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
LMAO!!!!!!!! CLASSIC & YUMMY

I have seen the caps, but never actually watched the scene before. Thankees!!!

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Lovely Jane

Posted Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 1:41am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

LOL

did he ever dare to touch this thing with his tongue???

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 2:00am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
He did. And if I remember correctly, he called it "soulless". Leave it to Stephen to refer to dessert as soulless.

golly i have a lot of "to"s in that sentence

MinervaMoon

Posted Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 4:02am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Hey Fryphile, you are so RELIABLE - conscientiously posting one SF pic a day -

::spits out drink:: More like 32 trillion a day! ::cowers in awe from SFDaily::

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 9:05am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Maybe not an Einspänner for me, but I could do with a gigantic, sweet, hot, schlagoberish mug of hot chocolate now.

At least it began to snow when I cycled home ... If that snow didn't melt away so quickly, it might lighten up the darkness a bit.

Canzonett, I sort of expected you to know what an Einspänner is Not for me either, I don´t drink coffee The snow seems to have hit not just Munich, but Vienna as well, and hot chocolate with Schlagobers is the only antidote really...

*hair blows as that joke flies over my head*

NOTHING can stop me from posting pics of His Fryness!!!

Except that poisoned sandwich I just ate. Wait . . .

Fryphile, I am certain you look very sweet with your hair all tousled

Was there cyanide in your sandwich... oh no, that was in the soup, wasn´t it?
But please, hang in there, we rely on your daily supply of pics (!) X-D

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 10:10am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
[quote="Fryphile
*hair blows as that joke flies over my head* ][/quote]

I have a spare moment so I thought I´d try to explain this (probably fairly boring) joke to Fryphile et al . Picture Mr Fry in an old traditional Viennese coffeehouse (sitting exactly where I used to sit every Saturday morning), being served by the owner of the café: a piece of Sperl Torte and an Einspänner. No big deal, you may think! But bear in mind all the specifics Stephen had to consider before placing the order:

Wherever you go, don't expect hasty service...it's not the Viennese way. Address your waiter (when he appears) as "Herr Ober," meaning Oberkellner (head waiter), and refrain from ordering just "coffee." If you want black coffee, ask for Schwarzer (kleiner is small, grosser is large). If you prefer it weak, say verlängert (stretched). Want it strong? Say gekürzt (shortened). A Brauner is coffee with cream, (which is not served separately at the table unless you ask for a Kaffee Crème). A Melange is equal parts coffee and hot milk. An Einspänner is black coffee topped with whipped cream (Schlag), sugared to taste. (Einspänner means "one-horse carriage" after the coachmen who drank it on the street while waiting for customers. Because they held horses in one hand and coffee in the other, it was—and is—served in a glass with a handle.) Other variations: Margiloman, mocha with Cognac; Pharisäer, an Einspänner with rum; and Maria Theresa (named after the empress), a "lengthened" Schwarzer with orange liqueur and Schlag…After you place your order, Herr Ober will bring you your coffee on a silver or nickel tray with a glass of water. Enjoy. Peruse a copy of Der Standard, the London Times, or Le Monde. After a while, Herr Ober will come by and refill your glass of water. Relax. You don't need to order more. And you are not being cued to leave. It's simply part of the coffeehouse tradition. As Orson Welles once said: "A Vienna café is the only place in where you can sit unmolested for 8 hours or longer, drink a single cup of coffee, and still be treated like a king."

Confused?? Well, Mr Fry obviously mastered the situation like a native Viennese!
And if you think: OMG now she has really lost her marbles, try to get hold of “Who do you think you are?” It´s all in there!

Oh, you have all fallen asleep by now… well, can´t blame you, accept my apologies :-//

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 10:58am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Fallen asleep? On the contrary, Gerti! Though I understood the joke I´d never claim to be an expert of the Vienna coffeehouse tradition like a native viennese. By reading this I can picture myself sitting in one of Vienna´s lovely coffeehouses and enjoying my Einspänner and the whole atmosphere *sigh*

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 2:41pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Spot Stephen, win a prize! From I.Q.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 2:50pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Wowzers, thanks for the explanation, Gerti. My mind did, in fact, flit back to Who Do You Think You Are while reading your helpful and QI descriptions. Like you, I don't drink coffee either, but it sounds like a wonderful experience to try some in Vienna.

Holly Tree

Posted Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 2:53pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
4th chair from the left, front row.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 2:53pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

::spits out drink:: More like 32 trillion a day! ::cowers in awe from SFDaily::

I can't help it that Stephen's so lovely.