Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

melampus

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 5:31am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Loved his hair in 'Extras'. My god, what a mop... and kinky too (I use that word advisedly). And he was so tanned, his hands especially. Must have just had a nice long holiday.

Random thought: Is it just me, or is Stephen turning into Peter Ustinov?

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 11:19am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Loved his hair in 'Extras'. My god, what a mop... and kinky too (I use that word advisedly). And he was so tanned, his hands especially. Must have just had a nice long holiday.

Random thought: Is it just me, or is Stephen turning into Peter Ustinov?

He is turning into the Duke of Northampton

Extras is being repeated from next week! Yippeeee I just loved Mr Fry´s cameo role in it ...

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 1:02pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Extras is being repeated from TONIGHT actually, apologies :-//

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 3:32pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Picture + article! It's two-for-one-day at Fry-A-Day!

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

stomper4x4

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 4:07pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
*squinting* Thanks for posting...do you know where I may find a link to larger text. I knew I wasn't actually going to be able to read it, but I tried anyway...

I love that picture of him, though!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 4:38pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Fry's Delight can be read more easily here as there is a zooming in option at the bottom right if you scroll your mouse around a bit. It's a really good interview. He's talking about how television is like a city with it's treasures and it's brothels and he alks about how history documentaries are like Fisher Price documentaries now - non toxic.

Assuming direct control...

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 5:49pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Thanks for the link Indeed, a very good interview. I wholeheartedly share Fry's opinion on those dreadful historical documentaries. I have the impression that they only serve today's people's twisted need to feel superior to earlier centuries by repeating old negated prejudices and misconceptions.
By the way, when did the German 'dreck' make its way into the English language? Nice

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 6:49pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Thanks for the link! Still too small print for me to read...

Did Mr Fry say "Dreck" in the article? X-D That does not necessarily mean that the word has been embraced by the English language, all the German words he uses in "The Liar" and "Making History"... "Dreck" sounds pretty innocent in comparison X-D X-D

I have noticed that quite a few (or rather, most) historical documentaries look more like period dramas, everyone dressed up and quilts scratching on parchment - I used to like that initially, but in the meantime I cannot help thinking, oh no, not another one of those! But documentaries on WWII are top quality, with footage and fotographs you´d never get to see on Austrian television (so much for having come to terms with certain chapters of our past... 60+ years are still not long enough apparently...)

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 7:21pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
If I weren't so busy right now I'd gladly transcribe it for you, but right now I can't manage it.

Did Mr Fry say "Dreck" in the article? X-D That does not necessarily mean that the word has been embraced by the English language, all the German words he uses in "The Liar" and "Making History"... "Dreck" sounds pretty innocent in comparison X-D X-D

Here's the whole paragraph:

Sum up the state of British television

You don't judge it by its flagships: you judge it by its ordinary meat-and-potatoe programmes, and that's why it's appalling. Dreck is dreck and always will be. The makers will produce their bizarre reality things, and they will push the boat out too far sometimes until someone comes up with a new idea. It's popular culture at the vulgar end. It's the equivalent of 'The Black and White Minstrel Show', or variety as it was when I was growing up. It never had any potential to be quality.

In the last paragraph Fry talks about how people would ask him to take part in reality shows like 'I'm a celebrity...get me out of here'. He thinks that people would love him to do this because someone with his 'tweedy' image being put into situations where he would scream and be emotional would make for 'good' televison. He declined those offers: "I would have been utterly miserable."

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 7:35pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I'm so glad he turns down reality shows. I'd hate to see him on them. They'd just want him there for as he said 'good television' and ratings.

I can see his point about the whole matey approach to television now and how it lacks authority. A lot of tv now seems to be orientated around catering to teenagers and a lot of tv seems to be dumbed down. The whole tone of it seems different from when I was a kid, even more so when I look at older television.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 7:57pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I'm so glad he turns down reality shows. I'd hate to see him on them. They'd just want him there for as he said 'good television' and ratings.

Me too. I would be unbearable to see such a sensitive person being ridiculed for the viewers' amusement. He wouldn't be miserable, he would suffer.

I can see his point about the whole matey approach to television now and how it lacks authority. A lot of tv now seems to be orientated around catering to teenagers and a lot of tv seems to be dumbed down. The whole tone of it seems different from when I was a kid, even more so when I look at older television.

That's what worries me. Scientists can already prove that today's dumbed-down television has a negative effect on the development of childrens' brains and that a society's well-being is linked to its people's intellectual abilities. Only yesterday I saw a documentary on brain development of infants. One of Germany's top brain researchers bluntly said that we were jeopardizing the brains of a whole generation not only through the long hours children spend in front of the TV but also through the crap they watch day-in day-out. "If we keep jeopardizing our childrens' brains, we soon will sew T-Shirts for China, but only if we're lucky."

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 7:59pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
If I weren't so busy right now I'd gladly transcribe it for you, but right now I can't manage it.

Oh Soupy Twist, thanks for the offer, that is soo kind of you, but I would not want you to spend a single second on transcribing it for me - I´ll live. I know you are busy writing your book...

I lik that! Dreck is dreck and always will be - so true (!) Thanks for transcribing that one paragraph, Soupy Twist...

And I would not want him to see in any of those reality shows either, quite frankly! I would not want to see him being driven into situations where he would scream and be emotional... I found it difficult enough to see him cry on WDYTYA? and falling into depression in front of the camera in the BD documentary... or how much an ordeal hosting the BAFTAs was for him... you cannot get more real, can you?
I prefer him to remain enshrouded in a veil of mystery..

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 8:09pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

And I would not want him to see in any of those reality shows either, quite frankly! I would not want to see him being driven into situations where he would scream and be emotional... I found it difficult enough to see him cry on WDYTYA? and falling into depression in front of the camera in the BD documentary... or how much an ordeal hosting the BAFTAs was for him... you cannot get more real, can you?
I prefer him to remain enshrouded in a veil of mystery..

I wouldn't want to see him suffer. I don't going on a reality show would be a very good situation for him. Considering what we learnt about him in TSLOTMD and how much stress he goes through doing the BAFTAs and QI and the whole Cell Mates incident I don't think a place where he's being constantly watched and scrutinised would be good for him. I hated seeing him cry in WDYTYA and the low points for him emotionally in TSLOFTMD.

That's what worries me. Scientists can already prove that today's dumbed-down television has a negative effect on the development of childrens' brains and that a society's well-being is linked to its people's intellectual abilities. Only yesterday I saw a documentary on brain development of infants. One of Germany's top brain researchers bluntly said that we were jeopardizing the brains of a whole generation not only through the long hours children spend in front of the TV but also through the crap they watch day-in day-out. "If we keep jeopardizing our childrens' brains, we soon will sew T-Shirts for China, but only if we're lucky."

What I'm finding worrying at the moment is that there are still some day cares and creches sticking children in front of a television as many as three times a day even when the children plainly don't want to sit still for such long periods (I'm talking about really young children here, under 5s who'd rather be playing and running around). This is appalling. These children should be provided with stimulating activities and opportunities to interact with each other, not plonked down in front of a screen so the staff can have an easy time of it.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 8:21pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

What I'm finding worrying at the moment is that there are still some day cares and creches sticking children in front of a television as many as three times a day even when the children plainly don't want to sit still for such long periods (I'm talking about really young children here, under 5s who'd rather be playing and running around). This is appalling. These children should be provided with stimulating activities and opportunities to interact with each other. Not plonked down in front of a screen so the staff can have an easy time of it.

And to think that parents pay a fortune for it. This really is appalling.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 8:36pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
It really is. They're not meant to be merely holding pens for children but places providing the best start in life for children, to nurture the children and help them develop at their own pace not stunt it.