Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Betsie

Posted Sun Mar 18th, 2007 8:45pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I'm with all of you! Stephen deserves better than to ever be subjected to that crap. I know it would tear me to pieces watching it. Have we all bonded with the man, in a way? Isn't it funny how we can come to care so much about someone we've never met? He talks about so many feelings that mirror my own in TSLOAMD, especially feeling so insecure about oneself and thinking everyone sees us that way. I shouldn't be embarrassed to say I love him for that. Working on a letter to that effect, actually.

We need to go back to using our creativity to find things for kids to do as they develop their beautiful, unsullied little minds. There are great catalogues out there like "Things for Little People" (I think that's the title) that offer wonderful items for that purpose. And museums, trips, board games, books, music, etc, etc.

Ever since Jerry Springer started his talk show, television in the US has been on a sharp decline. I've been calling reality television the brain death of America for years. I am proud to say I've never watched a single episode of Survivor or Idol. Actually, where I am I can't get any channels on good reception. So I just don't watch TV. I can't afford cable (which would be too addictive anyway - like this forum isn't enough - tee hee ), and the only thing I really miss is public TV, and maybe Scrubs and House - duh. I'm perfectly capable of wasting a lot of time watching DVDs, thanks to my stellar library and Netflix. My library is where I found the ABOFL DVDs. They also have a library exchange within the state, which is how I got my grubby little hands on Moab Is My Washpot and Relative Values. Although I now have a copy of Moab coming to me from eBay, packaged with a QI book and bonus DVD game. Wheeee!

Down with reality! So to speak... X-D

melampus

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 2:50am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Fry's Delight can be read more easily here as there is a zooming in option at the bottom right if you scroll your mouse around a bit. It's a really good interview. He's talking about how television is like a city with it's treasures and it's brothels and he alks about how history documentaries are like Fisher Price documentaries now - non toxic.

Thanks for this! Great interview. I loved "Words and sentences and the articulation of ideas are the only way I can dance." Has anyone read Stephen's tribute to Peter Cook in "Something Like Fire" (edited by Lin Cook)? He describes scenes so beautifully, so vividly -- you can SMELL them.

Even better... I thought I was the only one who said 'scuzzy'! Strange / sad how such a little thing can make your day...

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 3:40pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Ladies and Other, the time has come. The moment you have all been waiting for. I give you this week's theme of . . .

Pictures from my great aunt's wart removal operation!!!!! YAY! RAH! JOY!

Unless, of course, you'd rather see pictures from Peter's Friends? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Okay, wart removal it is!

*pinch*

Because Stephen is at his absolute creamiest in this film, I shall extend PF to TWO WHOLE WEEKS!!!! A FORTNIGHT OF FLUFF!!!!

Unless, again, you'd rather see that nasty old wart get zapped . . .

And NO, I did not just call my great aunt a nasty old wart.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

stomper4x4

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 5:38pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
*swewns*

This is the best of the Bestly Bestington! Thank you!!

That entire beginning scene just made my jaw drop the first time I saw it. The sheer absurdity of it combined with seeing Hugh and Stephen's legs sticking out of those skirts was nearly more than I could bear (in a good way)!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 7:24pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Thanks for this! Great interview. I loved "Words and sentences and the articulation of ideas are the only way I can dance." Has anyone read Stephen's tribute to Peter Cook in "Something Like Fire" (edited by Lin Cook)? He describes scenes so beautifully, so vividly -- you can SMELL them.

I haven't read that one, I want to read it though. I've only got Tragically I Was Only Twin (go buy it!).

Even better... I thought I was the only one who said 'scuzzy'! Strange / sad how such a little thing can make your day...

Scuzz is the name of a metal channel so I'd imagine people do use the word.

That entire beginning scene just made my jaw drop the first time I saw it. The sheer absurdity of it combined with seeing Hugh and Stephen's legs sticking out of those skirts was nearly more than I could bear (in a good way)!

What she said! I love that scene.
Stephen's legs. :P~~~~ Stephen's back. :P~~~
Perfectly delish.

Assuming direct control...

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 7:57pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Oh Fryphile, TWO WEEKS of FLUFF *yodling*

*note to self: stock up chocolate and tissues...*

Now whose legs are the best I have already picked my favourite pair
(AND as we say: Ein schöner Rücken kann auch entzücken ) (which I might freely translate as: sometimes the most enchanting view is the rear view )

Cannot wait for more pics to be posted tomorrow (although you have outperformed youself today, Fryphilie! You are spoiling us )

Hey, that you remember Ferris Bueller´s Day Off - I loved that film, it was hilarious, I must have seen it at least 10 times

AxmxZ

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 12:49am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
[quote="Gerti"]
Now whose legs are the best I have already picked my favourite pair
(AND as we say: Ein schöner Rücken kann auch entzücken ) (which I might freely translate as: sometimes the most enchanting view is the rear view )

Or how about "Baby got back"?

Betsie

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 2:13am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Thank you, Fryphile, you never disappoint! And 2 WEEKS!!!! That's what is going to get me through doing my taxes. Splendiferous!

You're the ginchiest.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 8:54am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
[
Or how about "Baby got back"?

That is a LOT better - I have to remember that

Wildean

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 1:40pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Brilliant! Fluff is what i'm mosy in need of at the monent!

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 1:43pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
That’s not Stephen Fry.

Nor are they.

That’s still not him, but I’m head over heals in love with this film.

Peter’s crib a/k/a Chuffnell Hall a/k/a Gosford Park a/k/a Wrotham Park.

If it weren’t for the stepladder, his chin would’ve scraped the floor.

Oh, sorry. I’ve got a bugger. Could I just . . . Thanks.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 2:55pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

That flop of hair *swoon*

Has anyone told him that he is not supposed to raise the hand right up to his face (or nose, rather...) and NEVER to actually touch the hand (or a woolly glove in this case) with his lips But even a Viennese girl would forgive him that little faux pas

Great pics, Fryphile, ta! (and 8 more days to go.... )

Soupy Twist

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 3:11pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Has anyone told him that he is not supposed to raise the hand right up to his face (or nose, rather...) and NEVER to actually touch the hand (or a woolly glove in this case) with his lips But even a Viennese girl would forgive him that little faux pas

And never to lose eye contact with the lady. But I think probably only the Viennese can master a perfect hand kiss...
Thanks for the pics, Fryphile, I so love Peter's Friends.

Betsie

Posted Wed Mar 21st, 2007 3:10am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Darlings, welcome to my house of cream!!!

.....Carol, you stole my partner in cream, I mean crime.....you can have water soup for dinner.....

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Mar 21st, 2007 3:19am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

And never to lose eye contact with the lady. But I think probably only the Viennese can master a perfect hand kiss...

I dunno about that - I've had blokes give me some seriously seductive hand kisses when I was in France.