Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 5:14pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Even Gods were little once

Heehee! Is that book by our Stephen or some other SF?

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

stomper4x4

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 5:16pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
He really does look like a bear there! With green fuzzy feet.

boffinbabe12

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 5:23pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Too. Much. Cute.

Agreed- most cute and scrumptious picture EVER!!!!

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 5:29pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

It's our SF. That book is the German Moab.

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 6:56pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

It's our SF. That book is the German Moab.

What an odd translation.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 7:23pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Must have been Babelfish

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 8:29pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Oh Fryphile, there is only ONE Stephen Fry X-D
I find the translation odd as well. I haven´t read Moab, and I certainly would not read the German translation (or only to see whether the translator paid due respect to the author ... No. 3 on my "Check the translation" list for when I have retired After The Stars´ Tennis Balls and Making History X-D )

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 8:34pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I'm awfully embarrassed to say that, althoguh I have read it, I still don't understand what "Moab is my Washpot Means", nor its releveance to the book's content.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 8:42pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I'm awfully embarrassed to say that, althoguh I have read it, I still don't understand what "Moab is my Washpot Means", nor its releveance to the book's content.

JS, nothing to be embarrassed about ! Please go to"Books" and then to the Moab thread, you´ll find the answers there (!)

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 8:52pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Oh Fryphile, there is only ONE Stephen Fry X-D
I find the translation odd as well. I haven´t read Moab, and I certainly would not read the German translation (or only to see whether the translator paid due respect to the author ... No. 3 on my "Check the translation" list for when I have retired After The Stars´ Tennis Balls and Making History X-D )

I've also wondered where the odd title comes from. I can't remember it clearly, but isn't there a random remark somewhere about Kolumbus and England? Anyway, there was no need to change the title. I've also never read any German Stephen Fry. We had this discussion ages ago and I still don't think that his linguistic wit could be adapted to German.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 9:30pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Anyway, there was no need to change the title. I've also never read any German Stephen Fry. We had this discussion ages ago and I still don't think that his linguistic wit could be adapted to German.

I have once been told that literary translators are not very well remunerated so they very often churn out one translation after the other, which in the case of Stephen Fry´s books would be high treason as one cannot come up with an appropriate translation of his linguistic wit without having to muse over any insinuations, which takes time of course! (which literary translators don´t seem to have unless they want to starve..)
God, what a challenge it must be to translate one of his books (I´d find a hundred reasons to get back to him with queries as to the exact meaning of certain phrases :-D)
One aspect I find interesting with regards to "The Liar" and "Making History" is whether the fact that some of the conversation was held in Austrian German was taken into account by the translator Wrong thread, sorry :-//

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 9:42pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Too. Much. Cute.

AAAAAAh, Moose Test á la Stephen (or rather, Teddy Bear test....)
Gorgeous furniture (and a slightly odd-looking socket on the right there )

AAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW I want to cuddle those green fuzzy... no, changed my mind, I´d rather go for the TBIB

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Apr 15th, 2007 5:48pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
In honor of the recent news regarding Stephen's documentary about driving around America in his black London taxi:

Keep your eyes peeled, Americanos!

LOL I'd like to see him go through a drive-thru in that thing.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Apr 15th, 2007 5:50pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Fryphile, are your absolutely positively sure you've never repeated yourself on this thread?

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Apr 15th, 2007 6:01pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Fryphile, are your absolutely positively sure you've never repeated yourself on this thread?

Not sure. Why, have you seen duplication? I was gonna go through and make special note of the ones I've posted, but I decided to cap season one of Jeeves and Wooster instead