Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

striped_mouse

Posted Tue Dec 8th, 2009 9:26pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Fryphile said:

Looking at Stephen's face, I see that after all someone was under the table, huh? And who is this brave person?

nrepka and ginj, you photos are amazing! Thank you very much for sharing!
And Stephen in the coat... and this red scarf... OMLP!!!
And, nrepka, you are cruel! I can't stop staring at this HUG picture! Want be there... in his arms

gjhsu

Posted Tue Dec 8th, 2009 9:32pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

ginj said:
It was a small store, but yes, there were a good amount of people there. The signing was supposed to start at 7:00, we were there by about 5:15. Stephen showed up at 6:00 because he was going to sign books for people who ordered online and were going to have their books mailed to them. Well, as I said the store was small, so we were all standing about 10-15 feet waiting for him (and snapping pictures). He had quite a few books to sign (at least 5 boxes worth), then he couldn't really take a break, because we were all standing there staring at him. So he started signing our books. I would guess there had to be at about 400-500 people there. That is fantastic for something that was put together so quickly. And he was absolutely squeeably sweet to everyone of those 500 people. I don't know how he does it, he has the patience and temperament of a saint.

I am so glad to hear he was as kind as the hype. There's nothing more disappointing than meeting a hero to find that they aren't very personable in person (I can think of a few sports figures I've met whom I've been rather disappointed with), but Stephen in all his fame and attention, still manages to be warm and caring to each person who shows up is really something else. It's astounding!

Rathany

Posted Tue Dec 8th, 2009 9:53pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

The pictures are all adorable Thanks for posting them.

tui

Posted Tue Dec 8th, 2009 10:21pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Aaawwww how adorable is that man!
What wonderful pictures, sounds and looks like it was a great evening

andrealein

Posted Tue Dec 8th, 2009 10:58pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

OMG, OMG. I can't believe how gorgeous he's looking. I mean, I can, but... OMG! And you're so right Soph, the coat's increadible. Apart from the fact that I want a law forcing all men to wear coats like that I think he looks especially adorable in it.

You're so lucky to have experienced that. And, of course, the hug, nrepka. OMG.

And thank you ginj for getting the book signed. You're the best.

I am not a Russian spy, cross my heart and hope to die.

ginj

Member *

Posted Wed Dec 9th, 2009 12:19am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Soph said:
Ooooh, lovely!
I love how he seems to collect gifts on the left hand side of him. It was like that when I saw him. He's drowing in LOVE (in gift form). *rescues him* . . *kiss of life* ;P

And do you want to know what was really cute? We saw him walking out and he was carrying all of his little packages himself. It was just so sweet. It's not like he turned to someone and said, here do something with these. <3

Midsomerlover

Posted Wed Dec 9th, 2009 12:23am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Wow - to say it in Fryphile's words. Wonderful pictures and a very good turnout indeed, Incky! 500 people is quite a lot for a book signing (unless your name is Dan Brown or J.K. Rowling).

@midsomerlover on Twitter.

Soph

Posted Wed Dec 9th, 2009 12:35am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

ginj said:
And do you want to know what was really cute? We saw him walking out and he was carrying all of his little packages himself. It was just so sweet. It's not like he turned to someone and said, here do something with these. <3

OM, that really is sweet! Aw what a sight. : ] I can picture him now, hands full, carrying all these packages and odd bits. Thanks for this additional information, can just imagine the cuteness. : ]]

andrealein, I would agree to that law, btw. ; ]

Photobucket

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Dec 9th, 2009 1:10am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Do you have any recollection of what he said? Or was the OMGing in your head too loud?

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Mandibles

Posted Wed Dec 9th, 2009 1:32am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

OML AT THESE SQUEETASTIC PHOTOS. ARENT HIS HUGS JUST THE BEST?!

**On a totally irrelevant topic, but not really since it involves a photo of Stephen**

Okay (thanks to a rather fabulous friend of mine) I have a hold of the official QI CHRISTMAS SPECIAL, coming to our screens soon.

I worked on this particularly flufftastic episode and trust me folks.. if the picture isn't enough to make you fall out your seat with excitement - then take my word for it, it's good be THE BESTEST EPISODE EVER.

Natalie: "Are you finished with your coffee cup Stephen?"
Stephen: "Yes Natalie darling I am, although it's not a coffee cup, it's a teacup..."

*5 minute debate later*

Result: The contents of the cup do not determine the name of the cup. The cup is a cup/mug whether it contains tea/coffee/ribena/hot chocolate or any other beverage.

ginj

Member *

Posted Wed Dec 9th, 2009 1:40am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Fryphile said:
Do you have any recollection of what he said? Or was the OMGing in your head too loud?

Was this for anyone? For the most part I will say that yes, the OMGing overtook all else. Um, do you want everything I can remember? I introduced my self as Ginger/Ginj from the forum. He said some like "oh yes, my loyal fluffette, I think of you when I go past a Starbucks, but you spell it with a
'j' don't you." That is when the squeeing in my head took over. I mumbled something like, yes thank you Mr. Fry I have four books for you to sign the first is...(god, I was so scared and felt so stupid )And the rest of the conversation consisted of me saying and this is for _______, he/she is a forum member, or he/she is not a forum member. Then shoving the envelope at him and mumbling and here are some messages that the forum members wanted you to have. After that he looked up extended his hand and said something like, Thanks for coming. AAAAAAAAAAAA.Even then I don't think I had the nerve to look him in the eye. Then he said, and I will look at these later, alright?, as he patted the envelope. To which I again mumbled; yes, thank you Mr. Fry. *sigh* But it was all so wonderful, and he was perfect.

I hope the other ladies tell their stories because I couldn't hear any of the other conversations.

Oh and then when we went back for the picture, he really was already late, and we were standing there with our cameras asking for a picture. But, he said "yes, of course, come around here Ginj." EEEEEEEE. And he even told the two people who were taking the pictures for us to take a second picture just in case. How perfect is he? Then we said Thanks Mr. Fry and ran out. We were standing across the street when he came out, and we yelled goodbye and he turned around and waved. I LOVE that man.

Hey, Fryphile I think that is the first I typed out everything that I remembered. Thanks for asking, I am going to save a copy of this for future squeeing.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Dec 9th, 2009 1:49am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Wonderful, ginj! Yep, that's what I was wondering about. The little kindnesses he does gigantically well.

Mandibles: ME. WANT. I know 99.997% of people are staring at David Tennant, but is the other guy Lee Mack? I only know him after my David Mitchell infatuation led me to WILTY. He should be funny. BTW, my fave QI so far is Christmas Special from Series B.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

repka

Posted Wed Dec 9th, 2009 3:44am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Fryphile said:

When I came over to him, I could barely speak. I mumbled something like "I'm very star struck. I had something to say and..." He finished my phrase "and now you've forgotten everything." He sounded a little patronizing, like a teacher. That helped me, actually. I've been teachers' favorite all my life. So, we talked a bit about Russian theme. I complimented him up to kazoo on his Chekov audiobook. He liked that, I think. Then I took a deep breath and, to my complete amazement, heard myself saying: "Fluffette fryfan20 was promised a hug today. Can I collect it?" He chuckled and said; "Of course." Then everything was a bit blurry (just like the photo itself). I remember diving into his arms, without even considering any restrain or poise. I remember feeling his cheek on my forehead. I remember his smell (Fryphile, you once said that he must smell like bunny rainbows and unicorn kisses, I actually cannot give a more accurate description).

We went outside. The queue was already lining up on the street. We looked up to the window (the store was on the second floor) and saw Stephen's back. Now, imagine - turning away and going about our business, when Stephen Fry is right THERE, in a few steps distance, smiling, swiping his hair, moving and breathing. Impossible...

So we waited. When we rejoined the end of the line, we were completely frozen. By that time I've collected a mighty long timeline of squeeee from you, guys. So, when we saw him again, I showed it to him saying "These people are not sleeping, checking the updates, and sending their love." He looked through it quickly and gave me one of his "oh no, you shouldn't have" smiles. Then we took that last group photo. Outside again, we saw him getting in the car. He turned around, waved and smiled at us...

Wisdom is the ability to cope. - Stephen Fry, Harvard 2/22/11

@nrepka

Katrina

Posted Wed Dec 9th, 2009 6:41am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Wow. Wow. Hug. I don't even know what to say. I guess it's a good thing I wasn't there, I would have NO idea what to say!

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

Laur1991

Posted Wed Dec 9th, 2009 7:18am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

<- That's all I can "say" nrepka.