Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

gjhsu

Posted Sat Dec 19th, 2009 9:28pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Fryphile said:
Cute story about the NY book signing.

Can you copy/paste it? I'm not a Live Journal user...

repka

Posted Sat Dec 19th, 2009 10:27pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

gjhsu said:
Can you copy/paste it? I'm not a Live Journal user...

I second this request.

Wisdom is the ability to cope. - Stephen Fry, Harvard 2/22/11

@nrepka

MarthaPants

Posted Sat Dec 19th, 2009 10:48pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Here is the whole of it:

"Hello! I'm Julie and, not to put too fine a point on it, I'm new. Yes well, I've known about this community for quite a while but until recently felt that I had absolutely nothing to contribute to it. So here I am, not empty-handed but certainly nervous and slightly embarrassed.

Anyway, those of you who have a Twitter account will probably remember that, about a week and a half ago, Stephen Fry tweeted about a book-signing he was going to be at while in New York. And seeing as how I was there...I thought I'd share my brief encounter here. I hope you don't mind.

So as I said, Stephen tweeted about a book-signing in NYC on December the 3rd, I think. This was something that both excited and depressed me beyond limits anyone could imagine. The fact is that I was,(and still am as a matter of fact), 15 years old and had NEVER taken a train to the City...by myself...to an event which took place on a school night...and started at 7PM. In fact, I had never in my life even considered going anywhere at 7PM, let alone to the City. Oh and it gets pitch dark here by about 4:45, and I also happen to have horrible eyesight and absolutely no sense of direction.

But it was Stephen, so I was prepared to take a train to Manhattan and possibly get lost to finally meet him. The odd thing is that the fact that 'it was Stephen' was what convinced my father to allow me to go and my usually undependable older brother to take me. I hope that, by the way, I am establishing some sense of building excitement here...

I was so excited I could barely focus on anything else. This was the man who had shaped and influenced me to such an extent that, without him, I doubt I'd be half the person that I am today. I could spend hours writing about his impact on my life and the way I live it, but I'm fairly sure that many of you will only know too well what I'm talking about.

I'll just cut to the book-signing itself. So, a grueling subway ride and 2 hours of paranoia later, I'm in the deli right next to the Idlewild Bookstore watching my brother eat and staring at the clock, it's about 6:45. The windows are tinted so I am taken aback that, as we leave the store, there's already a line beginning all the way on the 2nd floor of the Bookstore, stretching down the stairs, into the streets, and ending right at the front door of the deli.

I promptly get in line and notice that most of it is made up of women of all ages, with only about two or three men in sight. I notice a group of girls not that much older than me leaving the store and I can't help but call out, rather stupidly,

"Is he in there?"

They giggle and one of them answers,

"Yes."

"How is he?"

"AMAZING."

"Does he-"

"-allow you to take pictures? YES!"

I am at this point, as you can imagine, barely standing anymore. The girls walk off, giggling MADLY, and the line shifts an inch forwards. As we slowly approach the front door, a woman walks out with a signed photo of Hugh and Stephen as Jeeves and Wooster. I gasp and yell out "Jeeves and Wooster!", simply because I had completely forgotten that there were New Yorkers besides me who knew of its existence. The woman seemed to be pleased by my excitement because she promptly gave me my own copy of the Jeeves and Wooster photo to be signed.

The line continues to move and after a while my brother and I are at the top of the stairs, trying to peak beyond the door to catch at least a glimpse of Stephen. I hear him laugh and promptly fall against my brother, practically melting with pleasure, burning with excitement. As people keep leaving I notice that they all have a peculiar smile on their faces, as if Stephen had whispered something deeply personal into each of their ears.

As we move into the room it suddenly hits me that I'm in the same room as Stephen Fry. And then I see his socks. And as the line is much longer inside than I had imagined, I take the time to marvel at the color of these socks (they were covered in diamonds of bright yellow and red), to take out my camera, and to attempt to listen to the conversations he is having with those in the front.

And suddenly the person in front of me is gone and Stephen's looking up at me, smiling expectantly. Jesus Christ.

I don't even have the book for him to sign yet, my brother is at the counter waiting for the cashier to get my copy. I smile, he says "Hello!", and I say something which, looking back on it, is not exactly English. After gesturing for a good 30 seconds I step forward with the photo of Jeeves and Wooster which I have just remembered I have. Stephen gasps and happily exclaims "Oh!", pulling the photo towards him, he looks up at me once more. I gawp a bit and then say, "To Cathy and Julie, I mean if you want. That is, for Cathy and Julie, I'm Julie. That's Cathy with a C." He looks down and repeats "Cathy with a C?" I nod and laugh.

As he begins to write I reluctantly turn around to see if my copy of the book is ready yet. It isn't.

I turn back as Stephen is unsuccessfully trying to trace his name into the glossy paper. After his 5th attempt he explains to me, "The trouble with photos is that people get their fingerprints all over them, and it's impossible to sign the damn things."

I don't say anything to this, I just blush furiously and turn back again.

My brother finally hands me the book and I give it to Stephen. He opens it to the front page as I say, "I have no special requests or anything, I'm Julie. I mean...well...'for Julie' I suppose..." He repeats my name to himself and begins to write. Lordy.

But I'm not finished with him yet. I hand him a small bag and mutter "This is for you." He says "Oh!" again, in that way he does, and takes it. I immediately say "It's nothing deep or profound or anything, I thought it was funny." He looks in and says "Oh no! I love little knick-knacks like this! Thank you!"

It'd be difficult to explain exactly what I had gotten him. But basically, it was a small, wooden ping-pong paddle with little, wooden chickens carved into it. The beaks of the chickens were attached to strings which met under the paddle and were all tied to a wooden sort of egg. As the egg swung in mid-air, the beaks were pulled downwards and began to 'peck' at the paddle which had little seeds glued to it. A very silly, useless sort of gift I thought he'd like.

After I repeat "it is an honor" several times, I move away and realize that I have forgotten to take a picture with him. But as soon as the person after me has gotten their book signed, I gesture to Stephen and he hurries me over and my brother takes a picture. I blinked, obviously.

Possibly the worst picture I have ever been in. Having said that, ENGLAND'S NATIONAL TREASURE HAS HIS ARM AROUND ME!!!

Oh it was such a wonderful experience, really."

ginj

Member *

Posted Sat Dec 19th, 2009 11:34pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

I love this story. Thank you for linking it, Fryphile, and thank you very much Martha for posting it on here (I don't have LJ either). I particularly liked this part:
"As people keep leaving I notice that they all have a peculiar smile on their faces, as if Stephen had whispered something deeply personal into each of their ears."

She is so right and she captured Stephen's magic so perfectly. The fact that he made every single person feel they connected on their own personal level. She is a estute 15 year old. Nice story.

nemelle

Member *

Posted Sat Dec 19th, 2009 11:45pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Thank you, Martha! I've already read it in LJ (Stephen-related communities are the only reason why I haven't deleted the blasted thing yet), but it was an enormous pleasure to read it again, here. I don't like LJ very much and try to read things as quickly as possible... no good!
By the way, I absolutely loved the first comment to this girl's post in LJ. "I'm that woman who told you he was amazing, nice to see you again!" Fan-bloody-tastic. As my friend LarryDan said in Saint Petersburg this summer (after catching Stephen, we met @vivalabeat to get a signed book for our friend in Moscow who was waiting for my return), Stephen Fry is connecting people. So true!

MarthaPants

Posted Sun Dec 20th, 2009 12:45am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

You are most welcome. I must admit that I have become quite an LJ addict in the past few months. Through it I really got to know some lovely people.

Yes, the story really touched me, too. : )

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Dec 20th, 2009 1:33am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Thanks for the repasting, MarthaPants. I didn't realize it was inaccessable. Or inaccessible. Or inaxesseble.

That you guys couldn't read it.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

repka

Posted Sun Dec 20th, 2009 3:37am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Thank you so much Fryphile for noticing the story and thank you MarthaPants for posting it. Every time I read about this event, my own memories are revoked. I loved the part when she described the actual conversation. All these stories about meeting Stephen are similar in some way. It's never what you've expected. You can rehearse your lines in your head for days and months (and I'm sure everyone does), but when you are standing in front of him - it's all gone. It's Stephen, your pounding heart, everything else is in oblivion... What is astounding is how different he is in person. All those screen appearances, we all know and love him from, don't do him justice. Imagine that!..

I just wish eventually all fluffettes have this experience. I must say, I feel like a bit of a spoiled brat repeating my OMGs and OMLPs.

Wisdom is the ability to cope. - Stephen Fry, Harvard 2/22/11

@nrepka

speckledband

Posted Sun Dec 20th, 2009 12:36pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

OMG! I have this mad social anixety and just reading these "meeting Stephen" stories makes me feel quite ill!!

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Dec 20th, 2009 4:43pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

A Bit of Blond and Laurie.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

gemini

Posted Sun Dec 20th, 2009 5:42pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Oh dear, blond Stephen! I'm glad that it was only a once in a lifetime experiment of his! But then again - it's a picture of Hugh and Stephen, so I can forgive him about the hair.

nemelle

Member *

Posted Sun Dec 20th, 2009 5:49pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Blond Stephen is really very strange and... erm, unusual... but every time I see a picture of blond Stephen, I can't help thinking about Steve Burns from 'Making History'. That's how 'my' Steve looks!

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Dec 20th, 2009 6:49pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Awwww, what a lovely and touching story :D. I'm so happy for her! (and everyone who was there) She's captured the mood and moments perfectly.

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow

ginj

Member *

Posted Sun Dec 20th, 2009 7:04pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Actually that is the first picture of blond Stephen that I have seen with Hugh. And it makes me laugh, because I can just imagine that Hugh told him he was all kinds of twazzock for doing that.

Soph

Posted Mon Dec 21st, 2009 11:29am Post subject: Fry-A-Day

I don't like the blond much but still, I'd take blond Stephen any day.

Photobucket