Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 9:04pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
That article was really really weird. It didn't sound like him at all! In fact, I don't like what he sounds like, I much prefer how he is now. BTW I am also a bisexual woman, have we established a pattern here?!

He did sound a bit weird didn't he? I couldn't believe it was really him speaking half the time while I was reading it.

Assuming direct control...

boffinbabe12

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 9:07pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
That article doesn't sound anything like him... hmmm

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 9:24pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I miss the squee thread.

So how about some mad fangirl/boy squeeing?

ZOMG! Puppybear!!!! Squeee!!! ^_^

Phew! I needed to get that out of my system.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 9:51pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Come one, come all! Step right up to the one, the only, the only one you need, PUPPYBEAR HUG!!!!!!!!!!!

No shoving now, ladies and others, there are plenty hugs to go around. Kindly refrain from drooling. A bum pinch will cost you double.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

ratoutofhell

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 11:06pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
For a moment there I thought we were going to have an "everyone outing themselves" thread! X-D

Maybe we should start one - unless it already exists, and I missed it?

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 11:07pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Come one, come all! Step right up to the one, the only, the only one you need, PUPPYBEAR HUG!!!!!!!!!!!

No shoving now, ladies and others, there are plenty hugs to go around. Kindly refrain from drooling. A bum pinch will cost you double.

How much will a pinch to the tummy set me back?

AxmxZ

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 11:41pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
The article sounds... odd, but intriguing. There was an essay in "Paperweight" where he said something like, "Although the probability is not great, one of these days I might yet reproduce..." That made me wonder when I was reading it if he was ever in the closet in the 80s and that's why he inserted that caveat into his column.

(Also, that article obviously predates Hugh reproducing. I think that may have been when those thoughts started slowing to a trickle. Why marry a woman you don't really want and produce kids with her when your bestestest buddy is more than willing to oblige you with spawn?)

melampus

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 11:07am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
The article is very intriguing -- he sounds (or reads?) as high as a kite. Maybe he was. (Does it matter?) The thing to remember is that journalists paraphrase. They take stuff out of context. They also concertina quotes (join to quotes together) all the time. They shouldn't, but they do. And stuff you say on tape doesn't always read the same on paper. I trained as a journalist and have been interviewed by some; I know for a fact that only a very good journalist can capture the spirit and the mood of the person in words. Often the bouncy bubbliness of the spoken language; the stresses and nuances and other subtleties, fall flat in black and white. This is also why email is not always the best form of communciation (depending on the situation); it can so easily be miscontrued. Remember kids: "The email is more deadly than the mail".

I know we've heard it all before, but it is worth being reminded every now and then that we shouldn't believe that what we read is a 100% accurate representation of the person being interviewed. Just take it as a general gist of the situation. It is better to rely on what a person writes themseves, or what they say on video (although this can of course also be edited for effect, according to the producer's whim -- with positive or negative connotations!!!)

As for what Mr Fry says about women -- he has always said that he finds some women attractive. He said it in an interview in 2005, in (cringe) Heat magazine. He said it in Moab -- he found his cello teacher sexy in a Patricia Neal sort of way. She was kind to him; this treatment was obviously appreciated. Watch "Absolute Power" very closely; some of Charles Prentices' interactions with the opposite sex are truly toe-curling (in a good way). (Except for his dealings with poor Alison, of course.) Of course Fry is only acting, but boy is he convincing.

I think these sorts of 'admissions' (I don't like using the word; it's like he is confessing guilt for something) are really honest and courageous. He is acknowledging the fluidity of human sexuality and the myriad forms of love and attraction. As for the kiddie issue: read the article very kindly posted by Phlizz on the Film, Television, Radio and Theatre section of this forum (the "If anyone is interested" thread). Our Mr Fry is a rounded human being. He identifies complexities and counfounds stereotypes. And here endeth the lesson!

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 2:29pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I love how it goes from Bosie's super freaky O face

To Wilde practically saying, "So that's it, is it?"

Nippl-e

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

filliamhmuffin

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 2:56pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
30-40 cigarettes?!?!
7 cars?!?!?

I guess it was the eighties.....still, I too think he sounds high as a kite. And in my opinion, long-term celibacy can make you do strange things. You need to fill the gap in someway, and in 1988 it was much more acceptable to be freakishly consumerist.....now I suppose one would turn to yoga or scientology (not to get into the relative merits of either. Oh no, I won't go there!) Or I suppose consumerism still passes for "normal," but it seems aimed in a different direction for the 25-35 crowd: like, remodel your kitchen with Ikea so that it looks like a magazine! or make sure you own a copy of every CD you've liked since you were five--and don't forget the DVDs of all 50 of your favorite shows. Hundred dollars a season? Pish, what's that compared to owning the complete collection.

er.../rant.

Anyway,

It's nice to know that Mr Fry isn't a strict 6 on the Kinsey scale. Variety is the spice of life, says I, And I think it's healthier to explore the truth in the truism with sexual partners than by owning seven cars! Yeesh!

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 3:10pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
And I think it's healthier to explore the truth in the truism with sexual partners than by owning seven cars! Yeesh!

Seven cars = seven back seats

Aoibheann

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 3:15pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
X-D
Although im not sure the cars he owns have particularly big back seats...
They were built to look pretty driving in...

filliamhmuffin

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 4:06pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
And I think it's healthier to explore the truth in the truism with sexual partners than by owning seven cars! Yeesh!

Seven cars = seven back seats

LOL

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 4:35pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Seven Brides for Seven Backseats!

In Stephen's case, would they be husbands? or rentboys? or what?

RighthoJeeves

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 7:24pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Dont forget pictures of him as Jeeves or in Black Adder