Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Soupy Twist

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 5:53pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day

Okay, not exactly the London West End, but a viable alternative
Sounds like an interesting speech! Did your schoolmates enjoy it? (I am going off-topic again... or are we turning this into a chat room? I am getting slightly paranoid and confused as to what I am allowed to do without getting frowned at...)
I haven't presented the speech yet- it's a work in progress about why people shouldn't be serious and every point starts with an Oscar Wilde quote about sincerity etc.

Sounds good. I can only hope the jury knows Wilde well enough to recognise the quotes and appreciate your efforts.

boffinbabe12

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 5:54pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I tell them that they are all Wilde quotes... the speech that beat me last time was quoting Voltaire so I'm going to quote Oscar Wilde X 10000!

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 6:04pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I tell them that they are all Wilde quotes... the speech that beat me last time was quoting Voltaire so I'm going to quote Oscar Wilde X 10000!

Wilde rules (!)
I hope that this time you´ll get the response they denied you last time !!! (but what do you expect of an audience that cannot distinguish between "discover" and .. was that "research" or "investigate" ?? )
Happy quoting, boffinbabe

boffinbabe12

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 6:05pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Thank you! You guys are amazing, did I ever tell you that? - I'm surprised you remember the discovery incident!

Soupy Twist

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 6:12pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
(!) Oh, that's right, the discover-incident. What a disgrace for supposedly learned people whose job is to judge other (younger!) peoples' work.

Phlizz

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 6:13pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Would someone explain this incident to me please? i haven't been here very long :-//

Soupy Twist

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 6:25pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Would someone explain this incident to me please? i haven't been here very long :-//

Yup, found the old thread. Back in september boffinbabe gave a public speech about toilets which was judged by a jury. Apart from telling her that her speech was 'flippant' they reproached her for pointing out the difference between 'discovery' and 'invention' since those two words were perfectly the same:

and that I mentioned the difference between discovery and invention when they are actually the same thing according to the latin origin (WTF definition and origin is a different thing entirely, example being that we did not invent America- we discovered it) then started on about "besides, the victorian sewage systems are far better than the toilet and the pyramids."

That is the crappiest crap I've ever heard! In earnest, that moron doesn't know his arse from his elbow. 'Invent' comes from Latin 'invenire' and means, big surprise, to 'invent' or 'find' something. 'discover' derives from 'dis-cooperire' which means to 'uncover', 'reveal' or 'expose' something. There is a huge difference as you correctly pointed out. aaarg, ignorance Mad
Cheer up and don't be too disappointed! Everyone can give a speech on political correctness but only a few people manage to talk coherently and witty about toilets! Flippant? Can't imagine that.

Phlizz

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 7:33pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Thanks Soupy Twist!

The jury sound like a bunch of knobs

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 8:12pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Oooh I didnt know about any of this, where the Jury English or American by chance? just I find that the every day joe public of so called "well educated" countries (and you can add Ireland in there even though its not well known for it) often are as thick as two planks when it really comes down to it.

I dont want to diss americans as a whole - but there are those few who believe that the America is the land of all creation and brilliance.... I once heard a guy yabber on about how they, the Americans, SAVED England in World War II...

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 8:17pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I once heard a guy yabber on about how they, the Americans, SAVED England in World War II...

Reminds me of Otto from A Fish Called Wanda. X-D

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

boffinbabe12

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 9:19pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Well it wasn't so much jury as three Rotary Club Toffs- one of whom (the one that was judging me) decided that he hated me and was a pompous arse!
Made poor little me cry! - in the car, not in front of him.
But yes- a highly traumatising experience and I am flattered that several of you remember it!
I had got to the third round of the competition and was up against only sixth formers- and me in year 9- and they were all rambling and rubbish/// not that I'm biased.

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 9:21pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Well it wasn't so much jury as three Rotary Club Toffs- one of whom (the one that was judging me) decided that he hated me and was a pompous arse!
Made poor little me cry! - in the car, not in front of him.
But yes- a highly traumatising experience and I am flattered that several of you remember it!
I had got to the third round of the competition and was up against only sixth formers- and me in year 9- and they were all rambling and rubbish/// not that I'm biased.

Is this Youth Speaks? I used to do that... never got into the actual competition though... I hate talking in public.

boffinbabe12

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 9:22pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Yes!!! I love public speaking- it's the one thing I'm confident I'm good at!

AxmxZ

Posted Wed May 9th, 2007 12:27am Post subject: Fry-A-Day
Welcome to our Master/Valet Relations Seminar.

Rule #2

Your valet is not a giant timepiece.

...even when the sight of you in golfing get-up turns him into an inadvertent sundial.

karoliina

Posted Wed May 9th, 2007 1:01pm Post subject: Fry-A-Day
I love the Jeeves pictures - I am currently listening Wodehouse stories on a cd - according to my husband a sure sign of old age! Bring on the knitting!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket