Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Sidthespid

Posted Wed Aug 27th, 2008 1:43pm Post subject: Fry in Cambridge
I was delighted to see Mr Fry, punting in Cambridge, during last night's episode. Absolutely friggin marvellous! I loved it! It cheered me up a treat. I'm not sure I could've kept my balance or my nerve for that matter. For this alone, he should be knighted.

I'm desperatley trying to avoid writing Arise Stir Fry, but as you can see, I just couldn't help myself. I do apologise.

wooden_elf

Posted Sat Sep 6th, 2008 8:20am Post subject: Fry in Cambridge
[quote="Sidthespid"]I was delighted to see Mr Fry, punting in Cambridge, during last night's episode. Absolutely friggin marvellous! I loved it! It cheered me up a treat. I'm not sure I could've kept my balance or my nerve for that matter. For this alone, he should be knighted.

Can't we write a petition and send it to the queen (or whoever deals with thoese sorts of things)

ClareBear

Posted Sat Sep 6th, 2008 9:14am Post subject: Fry in Cambridge
The Prime Minister writes the list.

wooden_elf

Posted Sat Sep 6th, 2008 9:21am Post subject: Fry in Cambridge
Thank you for telling!

I wonder if a petition would actually work. I don't really think so but IF how many signatures it would take....

wildfire

Posted Sat Sep 6th, 2008 3:21pm Post subject: Fry in Cambridge
There's a serious petition to 10 Downing street do this which collected over 2000 signatures:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/fryhonours/

(and if it fails, there's also petitions in the slush pile to make him Prime minister and King)

I hope he doesn't turn one down if offered it. Maybe he should get a CBE or something first to get him used to the idea?

Sidthespid

Posted Sat Sep 6th, 2008 4:45pm Post subject: Fry in Cambridge
As fab as the petition is, I think the only route is via nomination. I've had a look at the process and it would take a bit of doing. For starters, the forms require that one discloses the personal details of the nominee, such as the nominee's address and telephone number (which makes it a tad difficult). Just to spice things up a bit, one must also submit letters of endorsement in support of the application and put forth an argument as to why the nominee should be knighted, according to the cabinet office's criteria for eligibility.

I've downloaded the forms anyway and will make a start on them next week. I'll let you know if I abandon the cause! I can't make a start on it today, because I have a bloody awful assignment to write. 'Cognitive development in children and the role of socio-cognitive conflict on the acquisition of scientific concepts' - such a bucket of old soggy tosh I know. I'd much rather be nominating Mr. Fry for knighthood.

Sidthespid

Posted Sat Sep 6th, 2008 4:55pm Post subject: Fry in Cambridge
Oh and I've just discovered that Hugh Laurie has an OBE!

Fanruddytastic. They say it was for 'services to drama', but I suspect it was really for 'services to swooning maidens'.

(Why don't we have a drooling emoticon on here?)