Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

shatzi

Posted Wed Oct 10th, 2007 12:34pm Post subject: Fry Up For Emmy Award for Documentary
http://www.myparkmag.co.uk/articles/celebs/tv-news.....n-emmy.jsp
Link to article. I apologize if this has been posted!
shatzi

Vespertine

Posted Wed Oct 10th, 2007 2:26pm Post subject: Fry Up For Emmy Award for Documentary
Fantastic!! About time he got some praise!

seasun545

Posted Fri Oct 12th, 2007 11:33pm Post subject: Fry Up For Emmy Award for Documentary
Well, I´d say, If Al Gore has the Nobel prize (and many others) for that documentary about climate change (wich seem to be full of scientific errors for the benefit of the "show", by the way), Stephen should have this Emmy, for f**k´s sake!!!

katysara

Posted Sat Oct 13th, 2007 2:16pm Post subject: Fry Up For Emmy Award for Documentary
I only wish we could all somehow vote... I REALLY hope he wins. Not just because he deserves it for being so honest and making such an insightful 2 programs, but because of the good it will do bipolar disorder.

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

AlanNotHim

Posted Sat Oct 13th, 2007 7:45pm Post subject: Fry Up For Emmy Award for Documentary
It is an important documentary. It needs to be seen by more people. It took me over a month to find a copy. As far as I know, it has never been shown in the states. BBC America should have shown this at least once, but instead they would rather show slutcoms and Ramsey's Kitchen Tantrums.

\"Life is not all champaign. Sometimes it is real pain.\"

ClareBear

Posted Sat Oct 13th, 2007 8:55pm Post subject: Fry Up For Emmy Award for Documentary
As i've said, make me director of BBCA,

shatzi

Posted Sun Oct 14th, 2007 6:36am Post subject: Fry Up For Emmy Award for Documentary
I think BBCA ran it one time, but never again. That's the only way I heard of it. Too bad we can't vote, you're right. At least this was factual, not like nonsense "science," but no one asks people who actually have experience with it or know someone with BPD about it. Hollywood never cares about fact anyway, God help us if they ever do a fictional movie about a bipolar person.
Fry should get a Peace Prize or something like that!

seasun545

Posted Sun Oct 14th, 2007 9:34am Post subject: Fry Up For Emmy Award for Documentary
Hi shatzi,
Like you, I thought I had never heard about a movie with BP character, but looking for some info in Spanish sites a few days ago I found one, "Mr. Jones" with Richard Gere playing a BP guy. I haven´t seen it, anyway, Gere is not one of my favourites...but they showed a scene where Gere goes with a girl to a classical music concert and, absolutely manic gets on stage and starts to conduct the orchestra and sing...in front of the audience and the conductor, of course.
Not very successful movie here, I don´t know there....

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Oct 14th, 2007 6:28pm Post subject: Fry Up For Emmy Award for Documentary
there was a recent movie called "the flying scotsman" about a bicyclist. it's a real life sports movie and i kinda liked it! they don't mention "bipolar" out loud in the movie, they just show him going through some bad times. but apparently that's what he had.
some cheesy stuff in it, but i liked it and it made me feel like getting out there and shaking things up. it's an indie, though, not really a hollywood thing.

i've seen a tv show that had a character with it, but it was very overdone and the guy seemed creepy.

i liked the "flying scotsman" because they depicted it as just a part of his life that he had to deal with, and only his friends knew about it.

katysara

Posted Sun Oct 14th, 2007 6:43pm Post subject: Fry Up For Emmy Award for Documentary
And there is the film "Amadeus," about Mozart, where Mozart is quite clearly manic... (whether that be through illness, drink, or other means, he is flipping well as manic as they come). Won 8 Oscars I believe. Can't believe how old the film is, I was 10 when that came out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086879/

There are loads of TV characters with MD. Look at Billy Chenowith from Six Feet Under. Totally over the top, but still good. My fav ever series.

BTW - if people are looking for a copy of TSLOAMD, both episodes, I don't mind sending out a few copies - unless I am breaking piracy laws or something. I just recorded it onto a DVD & computer from the TV. As far as I am aware it's not available on DVD. I don't know if it would work in America, probably only with a multiregion DVD player, and it would almost certainly be in black and white because of the different numbers of lines of colour our TVs use... Wouldn't lose it's message though.

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

shatzi

Posted Sun Oct 14th, 2007 9:14pm Post subject: Fry Up For Emmy Award for Documentary
Guess I don't watch much TV or movies, but I DID love Amadeus, have the DVD!
How would one make a film conveying the rush of noise and emotions in a person's head? Or the face-down depression that can't be cured with a good meal or trip to the salon? It would come out like some Fellini film.

Saturn

Posted Sun Oct 14th, 2007 10:13pm Post subject: Fry Up For Emmy Award for Documentary
Mozart was naturally manic, he was most certainly not BP.

And that of him in the Peter Shaffer play was just that a characterisation in a work of fiction and bears little or no resemblance to the actual real-life Mozart.

Don't get me wrong, brilliant film, but Mozart was not quite as you see him there.