Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Canzonett

Posted Sat Sep 8th, 2007 8:03pm Post subject: Fry's Future Plans
From QI.com:

Next year he is joining zoologist Mark Carwardine to-trace the latter's journey with the late Douglas Adams, chronicled their 1990 book, "Last Chance to See" (Pan £7.99). "It's rather marvellous. Because we have Douglas's recording of the book on audio, with his voice accompanying us and see what the current state of play is with each of the animals he wrote about. Some are now genuinely extinct, while others flourish, in some cases as a direct result of the book."

"Last Chance to See" takes its place in a long line of future Fry projects: another series of "Kingdom"; a stage performance as Malvolio to raise money for the Theatre Royal, Norwich; a series of puns for Radio 4; the script for "The Lord of the Rings" director Peter Jackson's remake of "The Dambusters". What about books? "Yes, at least one in the pipeline, although writing is the absolute bastard for me. I've been commissioned to visit all 50 states of America for a documentary series and there will be a 50-chapter book about the journey." Also "The Ode Less Travelled", his witty and persuasive manifesto for a return to traditional forms of verse, is out in paperback soon. Another slab of autobiography? Maybe, but the very thought of this allows him to mount a devastating cannonade against the "hideous" vogue of confessional misery memoirs: "You know, "Daddy, Don't Put it There," or "Stop It, Uncle" or whatever. Simply ghastly..."

[Canzonett switches back to passive mode again ...]

blur

Posted Mon Sep 10th, 2007 2:34pm Post subject: Fry's Future Plans
That is going to be EXCELLENT.

I can't wait

StickyKeys

Posted Mon Sep 10th, 2007 3:58pm Post subject: Fry's Future Plans
"You know, "Daddy, Don't Put it There," or "Stop It, Uncle" or whatever. Simply ghastly..."

Wha-haht?! Hee! Oh Fry... :-//

Oh man, that's quite a schedule I hope he takes some time to rest. On his way to Nebraska anyhow, heh.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Sep 10th, 2007 9:15pm Post subject: Fry's Future Plans
Not only do I not understand the need for a remake of The Dambusters, I cannot see how Stephen will overcome the audience's reaction to the squadron leader's dog being called 'Nigger', which he later used as a codeword in the mission.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Sep 11th, 2007 9:14am Post subject: Fry's Future Plans
"You know, "Daddy, Don't Put it There," or "Stop It, Uncle" or whatever. Simply ghastly..."

Wha-haht?! Hee! Oh Fry... :-//

*snorfle*

There's so many of those kind of books out now. My mum keeps buying them for me and I keep reading them! My boyfriend, his mate and I call them white books. Because they nearly are all white, with handwriting style fonts for the title and a picture of a sad child staring out the cover or with their back turned to you. They can be really upsetting some of them. The worst ones are the ones set in Ireland in Magdalene Laundries, Industrial Schools and Homes for Unmarried Mothers run by The Sisters of Mercy (not the band!).

I'm looking forward to Stephen's American series and book.

Assuming direct control...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Sep 11th, 2007 9:23am Post subject: Fry's Future Plans

Homes for Unmarried Mothers run by The Sisters of Mercy (not the band!).

Imagine if they did, though.

StickyKeys

Posted Wed Sep 12th, 2007 7:28pm Post subject: Fry's Future Plans
Well evidently the dog is called "Trigger" in the US market, so who knows? I've never heard of it so it couldn't hurt to remake I guess to reintroduce it to a new audience.

Why was the dog called that and how did they get away with it? How odd.

ETA: Found this on Wiki:

"An issue that appeared soon after the film was announced was the naming of Wing Commander Guy Gibson's dog, Nigger. In the United States release of the 1954 film, the dog's name was redubbed as Trigger. Jackson has said no decision has been made on the dog's name, but is in a "no-win, damned-if-you-do-and-damned-if-you-don't scenario", as changing the name could be seen as political correctness, while not changing the name could inadvertently offend people.

Stephen Fry is writing the script of the film

I'd like to think he's much more@ if he does. Especially in America, no one wants to hear that mess.

La Niña

Posted Thu Sep 13th, 2007 12:38pm Post subject: Fry's Future Plans
Excuse me everyone! I might be too late in mentioning this:

Clive James: Talking in the Library, Sky Arts - Guest: Stephen Fry
12th Sept. 7:30pm

Is this a repeat? The promo for this show was from back in February.
:-//

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Sep 13th, 2007 4:08pm Post subject: Fry's Future Plans

Why was the dog called that and how did they get away with it? How odd.

The same way Agatha Christie got away with calling a book "Ten Little N*****" in 1939. The same way Fry and his little friends considered 'skivvies' at his boarding schools beneath his notice. Who was going to tell them different?

Red Raven

Posted Thu Sep 13th, 2007 4:51pm Post subject: Fry's Future Plans
Has anyone heard of this yet?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4811920.stm

Looks interesting.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Sep 13th, 2007 4:59pm Post subject: Fry's Future Plans
Cool he's directing again. I'm glad he's decided to direct another film.

StickyKeys

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 4:46am Post subject: Fry's Future Plans
What's wrong with skivvies? I only know of them as underwear.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 8:29am Post subject: Fry's Future Plans
What's wrong with skivvies? I only know of them as underwear.

Skivvies were the servant girls at Stephen's boarding school. He talks about it in Moab is my Washpot how none of them even really treated them properly. That they'd just pick up an empty jug and hold it out in the air expecting one of the skivvies to grab it without being asked to be refilled.

MaureenC

Posted Sat Oct 6th, 2007 6:57pm Post subject: Fry's Future Plans
On the one hand, the original name for the dog is right out.

On the other hand, if Stephen uses "Trigger" he'll be accused of bowing down to whomever the supposed gods of political correctness are (the African-American Studies department at Harvard? As I've always felt most people who complain about "PCness" to be just plain rude, and not even in a funny way, I'm really not sure just who this body is.)

I believe, however, there is a solution:

Tritter

Those of you familiar with the current work of "a colleague" will know what I mean instantly. For those who haven't yet seen the first half of the third season of "House, MD"... let's just say that Tritter is a very, very bad man who hides behind the law in his pursuit of revenge.

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Oct 6th, 2007 8:03pm Post subject: Fry's Future Plans
On the one hand, the original name for the dog is right out.

On the other hand, if Stephen uses "Trigger" he'll be accused of bowing down to whomever the supposed gods of political correctness are (the African-American Studies department at Harvard? As I've always felt most people who complain about "PCness" to be just plain rude, and not even in a funny way, I'm really not sure just who this body is.)

I believe, however, there is a solution:

Tritter

Those of you familiar with the current work of "a colleague" will know what I mean instantly. For those who haven't yet seen the first half of the third season of "House, MD"... let's just say that Tritter is a very, very bad man who hides behind the law in his pursuit of revenge.

BWAHAHAHAH!!! Yes!