Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Hank Moody

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 5:06pm Post subject: Fuel prices
Just a short rant, but I really can't understand how a companies in the motor fuel and home energy business can record profits, and still not be leaned on by our supposed representational government to pass some of those record profits onto the everyday person in the street. Don't get me wrong, I understand capitalism, but when shell reports profits of 22 billion despite profits being down on the last quarter, I honestly wonder whose side Gordon Brown is truly on, especially in the current economic climate.

RobertBruce

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 5:13pm Post subject: Fuel prices
Ploughing back say 10b of that 22b to discount forecourt fuel for as all would go a long way to restoring faith and more importantly, easing our burden.

It is obscene that Shell should report such a record-breaking profit and in the same breath state they are fearful the price of crude will drop further and it concerms them that it'll impact their bottom line.

Bastards.

I never will buy from a Shell station again.

PamJH

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 5:43pm Post subject: Fuel prices
I'm afraid all oil companies operate like this. I know they're responsible to their shareholders who, of course, are thrilled with these record profits. I suppose they could distribute some of the profits back to the customer via lower pump prices, but the shareholders won't stand for it.

Please don't think I own Shell stock; I don't. It's just that I think most of us like capitalism until we find it benefiting one group more than another. At least, that's the way many Americans think. I can't speak for people who live elsewhere and probably shouldn't speak for anyone other than myself.

I guess I'm just grateful that prices are holding steady around here - $1.89 to $1.99 per gallon. We had it down to about $1.48 at one point, but we probably won't see that again.

RobertBruce

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 7:04pm Post subject: Fuel prices
I guess I'm just grateful that prices are holding steady around here - $1.89 to $1.99 per gallon. We had it down to about $1.48 at one point, but we probably won't see that again.

I am an outright capitalist and do know the stakeholder mantra. But in UK at the peak of the price hike I was paying GBP1.30 a litre or which equates to considerably more per gallon than US pay.

At todays fx rate I'd need to pay USD6.81 for a gallon which makes the picture a little different for us here.

Now get this - 60% of the price of a litre goes to Mr G Brown's government as a tax. If my memory is right, fuel companies should only reap a gross margin of 9% per litre.

So rather than ask OPEC to lower the price of crude the UK buys, we need to get Mr G Brown to lower the tax rate of a lite of petrol to something like 25%

Want to send us some tankers over with cheap gas...

Hank Moody

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 7:17pm Post subject: Fuel prices
Don't be silly Robert - you know as well as I do that Prime Minister Brown needs those taxes to subsidise the attempts to buy himself a few more years in office; let's face it, the British public really is that gullible on the whole.

RobertBruce

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 7:43pm Post subject: Fuel prices
face it, the British public really is that gullible on the whole.

And therein lies the bloddy problem! At least in France they protest and government fears the electorate. Here in UK, government don't give a toss for the voters and do what they want anyway.

It is time we showed them who is boss! I'll be right behind them in support.....

So Gordo, pack yer swagbag and piss orf! !

Errr, pass the fuel tax reduction bill first on your way out and do not slam the door.

Hank Moody

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 7:44pm Post subject: Fuel prices
I'd rather he just buggered off. The Labour administration has been nothing but a disaster, and the situation with fuel has only been the latest screw up of many. A more paranoid man might suspect it was being done on purpose to expediate our full immersion into the EU. £1.04 to the euro, I ask you.

RobertBruce

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 8:06pm Post subject: Fuel prices
Yeah well bang goes the investment in blue towels for the summer break in Majorca! Guess Orlando will get my GBP or Chile? Botswana. Dunno

Hank Moody

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 8:08pm Post subject: Fuel prices
Yeah well bang goes the investment in blue towels for the summer break in Majorca! Guess Orlando will get my GBP or Chile? Botswana. Dunno

Bulgaria my friend. Bulgaria.

RobertBruce

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 8:15pm Post subject: Fuel prices
Nah, uncle died two summers back, so that is out the question. Might do Dubrovnik then down to Greece on to one of the islands.

Hank Moody

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 8:17pm Post subject: Fuel prices
Nah, uncle died two summers back, so that is out the question. Might do Dubrovnik then down to Greece on to one of the islands.

egypt is cheap and wonderful to visit. and with it being the middle east, oil is no concern.

RobertBruce

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 8:23pm Post subject: Fuel prices
egypt is cheap and wonderful to visit. and with it being the middle east, oil is no concern.

Oil may be free but the bombs tend to make life a little tense. Anyway, Uncle Bulgaria went there to see the pyramids years ago and said they were swell but no good as Womble abodes.

So guess it might be my fave of all time - CapeTown

PamJH

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 11:51pm Post subject: Fuel prices
[Now get this - 60% of the price of a litre goes to Mr G Brown's government as a tax. If my memory is right, fuel companies should only reap a gross margin of 9% per litre.

So rather than ask OPEC to lower the price of crude the UK buys, we need to get Mr G Brown to lower the tax rate of a lite of petrol to something like 25%

Want to send us some tankers over with cheap gas...

How is the 60% used? I'm not being snotty here, but is it used for numerous social programs? I'm under the impression the British government provides far more in social programs than we do in the US, and believe me, we have plenty of those. A link to a web site would be great, if you have one.

I'll send you a tanker of cheap gas only if I get to ride along with it. I'd love to visit London again, Gordon Brown or no Gordon Brown.

Who would you rather be Britain's PM? Would you rather have the Tory party run things or a different party all together? I'm interested in British politics but know very little about the subject.

Pam

Hank Moody

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 12:21am Post subject: Fuel prices
The idea that the Labour government has done anything good is a matter of opinion; the NHS is in its death throes, the benefits system is widely abused, the police are tired and underpaid, and the armed forces grossly overworked and underfunded in exactly the same way.

In addition to this, our once proud education system is a joke on a global basis, so it does beg the question: "just where is the money going?" because one thing is certain - the British public are seeing little to none of it, and all of this is happening while politicians seem to have an unnerving amount of "official functions" in the name of diplomacy; so I could take a wild guess and say that the Labour government is honestly more concerned about foreign aid than it is the welfare of the people it was voted in to protect the interests of.

The sad truth is, it isn't just the NHS that's dying; our values as Britons, or rather the behaviour that is regarded as quintessentially British is being lost to the sands of time as globalisation marches forward - we've become disllusioned, and have lost our way. And for a nation that was once so, so proud of where it came from, good and bad, my heart truly bleeds as I lament those values we compromise and discard in the name of becoming a part of a global community.

There's no equilibrium this country, and the irony is, despite our fascination with CCTV and reality TV, no one sees the degradation.

PamJH

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 3:29am Post subject: Fuel prices
Hank,

Your reply sounds eerily American in nature. Our system of education is falling apart, we have no national health care which means one medical catastrophe can break a family, health care is overpriced and insurance is prohibitively expensive, the idea that we can worship or not in our own way without being bothered is ludicrous, and we elect people whose primary concern appears to be getting re-elected.

Athletes, TV preachers and entertainers are grossly overpaid, while nurses, firefighters and police must scrounge to stay afloat. Many people are entering the military just to get a paycheck because we are losing jobs by the thousands every day.

I worry about this nation's future the way you worry about yours. But what do we do? I've placed some hope in our new president but he's only one man and can only do so much.

I wish I had some answers.
Pam