Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

keymaker

Posted Mon Jan 5th, 2009 6:41am Post subject: Gaza
Hamas = terrorists
Well, let's be honest - there's always a bogeyman... before Hamas it was Yasser Arafat. He committed the Palestinians to recognition of Israel and it didn't make the slightest difference, not even to Israeli land annexations.

They do NO good - they keep food locked away from starving people, they hide themselves in places like schools and mosques and they put their people in direct line of fire because they want to show that anyone will die for THEIR cause.
Yeah, but I mean how they govern is a Palestinian issue. The people can vote or note vote for Hamas as they see fit just like S Africans can vote for the ANC, the Irish can vote for Sinn Fein or US citizens can vote for the Republicans.

Israel does none of this. In fact, Israel is a country, a state, a nation...
Oh yeah, I'm all in favour of rallying around UN Res 181 but that doesn't authorise land annexations. No, I think we need to get away from labels and concentrate on what's actually happening and why. What you've got going on at the moment is collective retribution and genocide both of which are prohibited in international law.

km

joan

Posted Mon Jan 5th, 2009 8:01am Post subject: Gaza
Oh bugger it - no matter what any of us think - the whole thing is just going to get worse and worse. The world has gone to shit since Bush got selected by the US supreme court, and 9/11 happened.

Many many years ago I read a scholarly article about a certain Osama Bin Laden, and what a hidden danger he was to world peace. Wish I could remember iwho wrote it- it was sometime in the mid 90s.

Back in the 70s I worked as a wages clerk for a Jewish firm that employed lots of Muslim women. The bosses bent over backwards in ramadam to ensure the women got the lightest, easiest work - there was no racial tension. My husband worked with people of Pakistani origin - again, no tensions.

Peace between all religions is possible - but religious fundamentalists and political hardheads like Hamas, the Taliban, the US religious Right, ultra religious Jews, Hindu nationalists, and Islamists ruin it for normal people, and then the hatreds that arise from bombings and collateral damage live on.

Occy

Posted Mon Jan 5th, 2009 9:39am Post subject: Gaza
Ive always said that the last thing America will see before it explodes is a bomb saying "made in America" and I think that is true for most nations - we - those places with money and power - send aid and arm different groups and time after time make the mistakes - the taliban is a great example...

The world was shit before 9/11 - it's just now it's more evident that there are problems. Frankly Australia is a prime terrorist target because of how relaxed things are - that makes me uncomfortable...

it isnt the reason I want to leave but it worries me.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Jan 6th, 2009 1:54pm Post subject: Gaza
Can't help thinking that the Wise Men of the bible came from much further east, presumably to temporarily fill the void that seems to have always existed in the "holy land".

I have a question here: Jewish intellectuals have come up with world changing ideas over the years. Where's the man/woman who will come up with the one that's needed to create peace and harmony, and who will put it into operation?

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

keymaker

Posted Tue Jan 6th, 2009 2:38pm Post subject: Gaza
Oh bugger it - no matter what any of us think - the whole thing is just going to get worse and worse...
Hmmwell, I dunno... do not despair. All the other conflicts I mentioned were ultimately resolved by warring parties falling into line, or being made to fall into line, with international law. In the end that's what'll happen with this one because history shows that the rule of law can only be temporarily suspended.

km

acidcat

Posted Thu Jan 8th, 2009 6:33pm Post subject: Gaza
On a slightly off-topic note: The whole thing is just too depressing otherwise.

Peace Anthem for Palestine

keymaker

Posted Sat Jan 24th, 2009 1:16pm Post subject: Gaza
On a slightly off-topic note...
On that note what the hell does Kaufman know about it?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qMGuYjt6CP8 <<<<

km