Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

st.bipolar

Posted Wed Jun 4th, 2008 3:19pm Post subject: genetic engineering
when does it go to far?

animal/human hybrids, pre-birth determination of sexuality, modifying intelligence or even trying to bring back extinct species?

id love to hear everyones thoughts on this.

Britannicus

Posted Wed Jun 4th, 2008 5:26pm Post subject: genetic engineering
I hope genetic manipulation remains far too expensive for most people to ever dream of personally getting involved in (at least for the kinds of things you've listed). Way too much room for things to go haywire and for someone to suffer. Sure, suffering is a part of life sometimes...but that doesn't mean we should go seek it out!

I'm interested in them bringing back extinct species -- in that it could be possible -- but they'd really have to convince me that it's a good idea to actually do it. Perhaps for very VERY recently extinct animals, whose ecological niches we've already had a chance to study. And only ones that we have had a significant role in the actual extinction process (sadly enough, the case for many lost animals). Extinction is as natural as death, it happens and to every species -- us too -- eventually. But if they did bring some back, how would they really create a viable population? They would have to have many intact DNA sources, to preserve genetic variability, and even then they'd probably have to cross-breed with some existing close-cousin species or something. I don't know. It's troubling. I don't like the idea of us trying to recreate past eras that we don't have enough records of to fully understand, prehistory-wise. It reminds me of some scientists that want to introduce African lions and cheetahs to America, to somehow "make up" for the extinct American cave lion and American cheetah (which is actually more closely related to cougars). It's true that we can still see their impact on local fauna, even after all these thousands of years -- I mean, that's why the pronghorn antelope can run so fast, it was for fleeing from the American cheetah way back when. But that's going to be the case for pretty much every extinct animal if you look hard enough. Seems a reckless course to me.

And for human-animal hybrids...well...if we're talking about making monsters like mythical chimeras or whatever -- clearly that is fucked up. As for making creatures with genetically-human insides or whatever, for the purpose of organ harvesting, well...obviously that only has the human's well-being in mind. We're not to the point yet, perhaps, where we can see animal suffering as anything really like human suffering...despite the obvious fact that we're animals too, suffering didn't suddenly spring up with the evolution of mankind, and if anyone tried to do anything to those animals that WE personally love (i.e. our pets) like is done to animals around the world on a daily basis, we'd blow a gasket over it. We get all stuck up on what makes humans "unique" from the rest of the animal kingdom, but more and more we're finding that it's a case of degree, not rule.

Modifying intelligence...dunno. Maybe they'd find like with that fly study, that more intelligence equals shorter life due to the expense of all that neuron power.

And predetermining sexuality is just stupid.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jun 4th, 2008 6:41pm Post subject: genetic engineering
I wanna be a super hero.

fryfan20

Posted Wed Jun 4th, 2008 8:19pm Post subject: genetic engineering
i don't know if i am for or against genetic manipulation or genetic screening.
on one side there is the possibly of preventing disease in al kinds and with that a lot of suffering. and this is ofcours a verry good thing but on the other site there is the question of how far you can go whith this? not only now but also in the future.
what problems can you fix ? what defects are asepteble ? i know that i am not perfect and i can't help it wondering if there was a test that could by done before i was born for what i have (PDD-NOS) would i been allowd to life?

I am what I am

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jun 4th, 2008 8:32pm Post subject: genetic engineering
i think it's okay to learn about genetics and learn how to cure diseases...but

i'm a bit against it, when it comes to making entire living people and animals. and for this reason: that much of the time, the resulting living thing is not so healthy.

even all our dog breeding and zoo animal breeding over the past centuries..resulted in breeds that are more likely to have dislocated joints, or apnia, or have thier eyes pop out accidentally.

most circus and show white tigers are all descended from the same pair of white tigers, and so they are often plagued with hip problems and early onset arthritis.

i'm not too keen on that stuff, so the health problems that can result from cloning bother me too.

rereading this, it kind of sounds like i'm illiterate. sorry.

JSKanga84

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 3:31am Post subject: genetic engineering
There's lots of exciting things that they can do to cure some genetic diseases if they understood them better, but the more people know, the more they think they can mess with stuff. Most of the time, that turns into disaster. Such as the recent question of how racehorse breeders have been breeding in bad characteristics, such as the tendency to crack hooves or break bones, as well as good characteristics.