Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

merseymal

Posted Wed Jan 14th, 2009 11:20am Post subject: Gerund-free
This was a letter to The Daily Telegraph in 1999 (I think)

"I was exasperated to read the statement attributed to me in your report about the struck-off doctor, Richard Neale, still working as an expert witness (News, May 30). I was misquoted as I did not say: 'I think him acting as an expert witness is fraudulent.' The statement I actually made contained a gerund. I said: 'In my opinion, his acting as an expert witness is fraudulent.'

My former English mistress would be appalled.

Sheila Wright-Hogeland
Fadmoor, N Yorks"

PamJH

Posted Wed Jan 14th, 2009 10:08pm Post subject: Gerund-free
Sounds like a letter I'd write. Good for her.

ElizabethBennett

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 9:43pm Post subject: Gerund-free
With regard to my letter to The Daily Telegraph back in 1999, there is another "gerund-free" anecdote I would like to share.

When I returned to the UK after living in New York for nine years and then in Paris for six, I was asked for my NHS number when I went to register at the local doctor's surgery. I had no idea what it was nor where to find it.

It transpired that the NHS, regardless of all its computer wizardry, could not find it either.

I then received a threatening letter from some NHS functionary, stating that "failure to provide us with your correct NHS number immediately may result in you bean [sic] removed from your doctor's register."

I do recall I wrote back asking if the author of this letter had ever heard of a gerund. I never received any reply.

And the elusive NHS number? My elderly father found it on a scrap of paper in an old Army tin where he had made a note of it and kept it for about thirty years.

He also knew how to recognise a gerund and had a propensity to use them.

Sheila Wright-Hogeland

PamJH

Posted Wed Jul 1st, 2009 2:07am Post subject: Gerund-free
Again, I find these very funny.