Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

trouser material

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 6:22pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
This is a topic that seems to be dividing people viciously at the moment. Are we on the brink of global disaster? Or simply being force fed the panic-ridden untruths of crooked cash-hungry politicians?

JVONEARTH

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 6:33pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
if it has gone tits up what we do now is too little to late the human race is hell bent on self destuction and will never change. Anyway i have voted.
Good topic Trouser

Skadoo

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 8:29pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
I think we are in a bit of trouble and whether or not we can do something about it, I don't know but it shouldn't stop us from trying. The first order of business should be to find "green" fuel sources.

I've generally found that the ones who deny global warming is happening are the ones who believe that Moses rode around on dinosaurs shortly after the earth's creation 6000 years ago.

boffinbabe12

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 9:04pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
To be honest, I just don't know. I JUST DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides, if it is real, its my generation that's going to suffer the most, but don't worry because I will sort it out when I'm Prime Minister!

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 9:25pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
Yeah, definitely time to panic.

Kaseryn

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 9:34pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
The mind boggling growth of China is probably gonna make the whole argument pretty meaningless but with all the scientific argument about climate change and what impact we're having i can't help observing the extremes our planet has gone through regularly and in the not too distant past, before industrialisation came into the equation.

meekychuppet

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 9:36pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
It's happening. We're going to get it.

trouser material

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 10:10pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?

I've generally found that the ones who deny global warming is happening are the ones who believe that Moses rode around on dinosaurs shortly after the earth's creation 6000 years ago.

I do not believe the carbon emissions belched out by us humans and our evil motor cars and aeroplanes are shaping the future climate of the planet. The planets temperature has fluctuated since long before you and me and Mr. Bush stepped foot on it, and it will do for centuries and millenia more. 200 years ago Britain had colder winters then it does now, but 500 years ago Britain was warmer than now. 2000 years ago it was warmer still.

If we're afraid that global warming will inversely plummet us into a new ice age, then relax, as this will not happen either . I'm not a right wing, gas guzzling headcase or anything, just an average Joe with a passing interest in the Sciences.

I certainly don't believe in Moses riding dinosaurs. He was afraid of heights.

meekychuppet

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 10:23pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?

I do not believe the carbon emissions belched out by us humans and our evil motor cars and aeroplanes are shaping the future climate of the planet. The planets temperature has fluctuated since long before you and me and Mr. Bush stepped foot on it, and it will do for centuries and millenia more. 200 years ago Britain had colder winters then it does now, but 500 years ago Britain was warmer than now. 2000 years ago it was warmer still.

If we're afraid that global warming will inversely plummet us into a new ice age, then relax, as this will not happen either . I'm not a right wing, gas guzzling headcase or anything, just an average Joe with a passing interest in the Sciences.

Read your post again but knock a zero off your timescales. That's the issue.

Betsie

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 3:43am Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
I'm with Skadoo. Yeah, it's a real thing, but let's not throw up our hands in despair. You never know how much little efforts by many people can add up. And that's all each of us can do - add our own effort. That's all we have control of - ourselves. Can't control the outcome, but you can contribute to it, hopefully in a positive way.

Or else we'll jump off the tectonic plate when we reach the end of the world. Here be dragons....

Scout

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 4:14am Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
I'm just not sure. I have been presented with a lot of conflicting evidence from both sides of the issue, and frankly I'm confused. But regardless of whether it does or does not exist, it is (in my opinion) better for our planet to "go green". If anything we'll save money.

Skadoo

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 5:17am Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
\

Ok say it's all Chicken Little, the Sky is falling (which I don't believe it is), Where's the harm in improving emission standards? You can't say that stuff hasn't contributed to poor air quality in major cities...just ask anyone living in LA. The large numbers of children living in urban areas developing asthma is alarming enough. Also why not force automakers to improve gas mileage? It saves us all money. Third, why not try to end a dependence on fossil fuels? There isn't an unlimited supply of it and it has been an almost constant source of trouble for all of us for years. One of the main reasons why the UN can't get a peacekeeping force into the Darfur region is because China is the largest oil trading partner with the Sudan and would have more than enough bargaining leverage to let a peacekeeping force in...yet they've done nothing.

This slave-like dependence on oil is not a good thing for humanity in general. It's just an observation but it seems like the more oil rich a region is, the more likely it is that large amounts of people are being mistreated and killed around there.

trouser material

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 6:18pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
Ok say it's all Chicken Little, the Sky is falling (which I don't believe it is), Where's the harm in improving emission standards? You can't say that stuff hasn't contributed to poor air quality in major cities...just ask anyone living in LA. The large numbers of children living in urban areas developing asthma is alarming enough.

I never argued that, i firmly agree pollution is bad for our health. I disagree that its "killing" our planet.

Also why not force automakers to improve gas mileage? It saves us all money. Third, why not try to end a dependence on fossil fuels? There isn't an unlimited supply of it and it has been an almost constant source of trouble for all of us for years. One of the main reasons why the UN can't get a peacekeeping force into the Darfur region is because China is the largest oil trading partner with the Sudan and would have more than enough bargaining leverage to let a peacekeeping force in...yet they've done nothing.

What is the realistic alternative to burning fossil fuels?

This slave-like dependence on oil is not a good thing for humanity in general. It's just an observation but it seems like the more oil rich a region is, the more likely it is that large amounts of people are being mistreated and killed around there.

Unfortunately, despite what hippies and peaceniks think, there is no solution to this.

trouser material

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 6:29pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?

Read your post again but knock a zero off your timescales. That's the issue.
Its not an issue because this pattern goes back long before people were burning fossil fuels. Its like blaming Global warming on McDonalds, or the Ipod. The blame is being placed on 'modern' practices for a situation that has been cycling for thousands and millions of years, perfectly naturally.

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 6:42pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
Well whatever the reason and if and when it happens one things for sure we can do F..A about it