Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

meekychuppet

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 7:07pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?

Read your post again but knock a zero off your timescales. That's the issue.
Its not an issue because this pattern goes back long before people were burning fossil fuels. Its like blaming Global warming on McDonalds, or the Ipod. The blame is being placed on 'modern' practices for a situation that has been cycling for thousands and millions of years, perfectly naturally.

Evidence?

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 7:24pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
Hold on i have just watched the news.
From what i can gather if we get rid of all electrical things don't have the heating on etc etc it would cut out 2% of these gases and we hope the rest of the world would follow ok fine
So while i'm in my house contemplating suicide because i'm so bored and freezing cold the world will get better, But no wait yes i forgot how silly of me one day i'll be able to fly to the moon and buy a fucking ice cream isn't going up into space affecting things a little bit or am i reading too much into it

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 9:23pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
Hold on i have just watched the news.
From what i can gather if we get rid of all electrical things don't have the heating on etc etc it would cut out 2% of these gases and we hope the rest of the world would follow ok fine

Saw that too! The target is a 60% reduction:

How many per cent could you personally cut down on CO2 emissions - realistically?

I have figured out my current "contribution":
- no car: -20%
- exchange conventional light bulbs (as they go) for energy-saving ones: 2%
- But I am afraid I simply could not survive without central heating... or certain electricals, including my computer

oh well, 22% - not very impressive, in fact! :-//

They could use the CO2 emissions argument to minimise the transport of live animals across Europe! Make people consume more local produce that has not been carted from A to B to C...

BTW, I do remember that - due to the oil crisis - back in the mid 70s, Austrians had to select one day of the week they WOULD NOT USE their cars, and had to affix a sticker to their windscreens identifying that specific day. Was that done over here in the UK as well ? Can anyone remember ? THAT would help cut down CO2 emissions as well
(to reduce the respiratory rate to a minimum probably too.... )

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 9:43pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
The human race will destroy itself. Neuclear bombs and fuels. Constant trips into space. It seems to me that each country is trying to out do the other but everything that is produced has a destructive side.
Modified food, adatives to this and that what ever happened to just growing food? At the end of the day it's ok saying about all these changes but it is us that has to pay for it in one way or another.
Anyone for tea X-D

boffinbabe12

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 9:47pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
To support JVONEARTH's point... I give you ze end of ze world!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3jD1tMg4Zg
Watch it- it is fantastic!

trouser material

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 8:05am Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
Our governments method of conquering global warming, ie tax tax tax tax tax, is a ludicrous angle of tackling the problem which will achieve nothing whatsoever, other than a revolt. They're laying taxes onto the back of global warming whilst telling us, the British public, that leaving our TVs on standby overnight is fucking up the world forever and we must be stopped.

Taxing us to the hilt on petrol and flights AND telling us not to watch our tvs. Where will it all end?

Evidence?
There was a fascinating documentary on this last Saturday night (10th). Also some trawling of the internet. Even the guy who founded Greenpeace is now saying global warming has become a circus of lies and scandal.

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 8:28am Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?

BTW, I do remember that - due to the oil crisis - back in the mid 70s, Austrians had to select one day of the week they WOULD NOT USE their cars, and had to affix a sticker to their windscreens identifying that specific day. Was that done over here in the UK as well ? Can anyone remember ? THAT would help cut down CO2 emissions as well

I was in kindergarten then and have a dim memory of pictures of deserted motorways and streets. I believe in Germany people couldn't choose a day, it had to be sundays (Autofreier Sonntag).

Scientists have already taken into account that climate changes always happened (for example, medieval Europe experienced a warm period (ca 1000-1300) that enabled wine-growing in Northern Scotland, followed by the Little Ice Age which lasted about 400 years). But they came to the conclusion that our climatic phenomena don't fit into the pattern of former climate changes - it is all happening too fast. So yes, I think it is happening. And it doesn't matter if we're fully responsible for this or if our emissions only catalyse an already ongoing process. Either way, it's the results we have to live with - 700 years ago the consequences were being desastrous for many people.
The use of renewable energies could be far more advanced if our government hadn't blindly subsidised coal for decades, even when they already knew about the importance of furthering renewable energies.

meekychuppet

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 8:50am Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
Our governments method of conquering global warming, ie tax tax tax tax tax, is a ludicrous angle of tackling the problem which will achieve nothing whatsoever, other than a revolt. They're laying taxes onto the back of global warming whilst telling us, the British public, that leaving our TVs on standby overnight is fucking up the world forever and we must be stopped.

Taxing us to the hilt on petrol and flights AND telling us not to watch our tvs. Where will it all end?

Evidence?
There was a fascinating documentary on this last Saturday night (10th). Also some trawling of the internet. Even the guy who founded Greenpeace is now saying global warming has become a circus of lies and scandal.

Right, so you're a conspiracy theorist.

trouser material

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 3:12pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?

Right, so you're a conspiracy theorist.

No. The political aspect is secondary, in case i didn't clarify that. My point is about the natural global climate change, not the media driven 'global warming' campaign. The proof is out there if you're interested. If not, that decision is entirely yours. Believe the hype.

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 5:32pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
I'm not so sure about the "start panicking now", but I'm pretty damn certain about the "start doing stuff about it now".

Has anyone ever seen that documentary/film thing that Al Gore made? An Inconvenient Truth I think it was called. That left me with no doubt in my mind that the world is changing and it's our fault.

And what someone said about humans killing each other with nuclear weapons... I watched that episode of Doctor Who yesterday with Chris Ecclescake where the Slitheen came to Downing Street and the prime minister (Who was actually a slitheen!) said "The human race is at war" and at the end Harriet Jones said "God bless the human race..." I felt really disappointed by the fact that humans do kill each other for no reason and generally turn against each other.... We're the only creatures in the world that do! Us and dolphins. Did you know that?

xenmate

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 11:39pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
Hi. I'm new here. I watched the Stephen Fry programs on manic depression last night and decided to join. Those programes touched me deeply.

As for this topic, if you had asked me a week ago I would have voted for yes, we must do somethiing now.

After watching The Great Global Warming Swindle the other day, my vote has changed to the third option. Quite amazing stuff. I believe they repeat it this weekend on BBC 2 I think. Watch this. If the facts they present on the preogram are true, the cause of Global warming is not CO2 but solar activity, and hence, we have nothing to do with it.

By the way, I consider myself an ardent environmentalist and deeply believe that biodiversity needs to be preserved at great cost.

trouser material

Posted Thu Mar 15th, 2007 7:22am Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?

After watching The Great Global Warming Swindle the other day, my vote has changed to the third option. Quite amazing stuff. I believe they repeat it this weekend on BBC 2 I think. Watch this. If the facts they present on the preogram are true, the cause of Global warming is not CO2 but solar activity, and hence, we have nothing to do with it.

Hell yes. Welcome xenmate.

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Mar 15th, 2007 8:36am Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
But it looks as if those who hail the Great Global Warming Swindle work intentionally with the wrong data, as is shown in this article.

trouser material

Posted Thu Mar 15th, 2007 3:22pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
Fascinating thanks Soupy. It seems the subject has become so distorted its near impossible to distinguish whats right and wrong according to who and where you read it. From here on i shall be impartial to global warming and see how it unfolds.

absolutely curtains

Posted Thu Mar 15th, 2007 5:18pm Post subject: Global Warming - yay or nay?
Surely it can't hurt to save energy and cut carbon emissions and things like that anyway? Whether it leads to global warming or not, pollution is still very bad... I'm asthmatic! I won't lie, I don't notice a difference in my breathing when I'm around big old trucks and stuff, but in places where it's worse, it's much worse!