Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

michael

Posted Sun Jun 28th, 2009 9:00pm Post subject: Go Sports, Go!
The first time I saw soccer on TV, it took me forever to realize that the names on the fronts of the uniforms were sponsors and not team names. I was like, "Huh, those are weird nicknames!"

Praise the Lord, I can still be disappointed in the Cubs even from thousands of miles away. Really? 500? It's not even that tough of a division this year, and they're only like three games behind, but still. To make matters worse, the other team I kind of keep an eye on is Oakland, so that's going well...

ARE YOU A CUBBIE FAN ???!!!???!!!!!

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

michael

Posted Sun Jun 28th, 2009 9:04pm Post subject: Go Sports, Go!
i think that team somehow taught me how to survive mental illness, lol

Katrina

Posted Sun Jun 28th, 2009 11:26pm Post subject: Go Sports, Go!
The first time I saw soccer on TV, it took me forever to realize that the names on the fronts of the uniforms were sponsors and not team names. I was like, "Huh, those are weird nicknames!"

Praise the Lord, I can still be disappointed in the Cubs even from thousands of miles away. Really? 500? It's not even that tough of a division this year, and they're only like three games behind, but still. To make matters worse, the other team I kind of keep an eye on is Oakland, so that's going well...

ARE YOU A CUBBIE FAN ???!!!???!!!!!
Yep, yep, yep (Duckie voice from Land Before Time)! I was thirteen on Steve Bartman night. I ran up to my bathroom and cried on the floor. True story. I used to have a dry erase board on which I counted down the days until Mark Prior's birthday (yeah, not so much anymore...) Now I watch games slam my head into walls and windows.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

michael

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 5:51pm Post subject: Go Sports, Go!
BARTMAN!! ugh. and then last playoff season, the freekin dodgers. what the hell, we had the best time we've had in a LONG time.

when i was a kid it was ryne sandberg, shawn dunston, rick sutcliffe, andre dawson, etc. 80s guys. Oh god those were the days though. 8 years old, laying on my back with lemonade, listening to harry caray's bud light induced monologues.

if they cubs got behind he'd start into an essay about why cracker jacks dissappointed him, or his wife's favorite lasagna recipe...interjecting play calls very quickly ...

"so i sthink whatcha wife doesh...count three and two...ish she takes the marinara sawss-popflyanditscaught- and she adds roashted...roashted...roashted peppers? i dunno something very--that's a foul-- fancy you know?"

he also had a habit of spontaneously yelling out player's names backwards...

i keep trying to recruit Mr Fry to be a cub fan. on twitter.

Ok, well, i tried ONCE....

Greengalipote

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 8:55pm Post subject: Go Sports, Go!
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it is vaguely sports related, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Why is it that in the UK in general, however hard you look, there isn't any martial arts equipment in any general sports shop? I mean like Sportsworld and places like that. In France, the least we get in any sports shop is a stand in a corner with many-coloured belts on it. Rather basic in itself, but when you go somewhere in England, the only thing you get in a selection of colours is socks!
I recently took up karate and when last I came to England I thought I'd look around and see what was on offer as far as equipment goes, and there wasn't anything. Even when I went to London. I suppose there must be some obscure shop for people who know where to look, but I still find it weird that the only sports represented in supply stores are basically : football, rugby and cricket.

The same goes for bookshops. In the sports section, you're hard tried to find anything about the shito-ryu karate style for example. Why is that?

Maxx England

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 9:49pm Post subject: Go Sports, Go!
Sadly, there is this dreadfully unimaginative streak in English/British retail sales, and a lot of Jobsworths who find it easier to tell somebody, "You're the 50th person I've told today, there's no call for that kind of thing."

Another question is what sort of neighbourhood you've been looking in. There's less likelhood of martial (nearly wrote marital) arts books and gear somewhere well fed and middle class than places near me like Kitts Green or Shard End, where young men will go around defending themselves against other young men, yea, even defending themselves first in case the other one was going to defend himself first.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

michael

Posted Wed Jul 1st, 2009 12:02am Post subject: Go Sports, Go!
there must be people there kickin' around and doing martial arts, cause the guy who founded the type of capoeira i used to study lives in england part of the year.

but you don't need equipment for that. except pants. and tambourines and birambaus and drums. i spose you could ditch the pants, if you really have confidence, but you can't ditch the drums.

michael

Posted Thu Aug 20th, 2009 10:18pm Post subject: Go Sports, Go!

HEY BOILER 12...

http://twitpic.com/el45u

*COUGHCOUGHCOUGH*

typical Cardinals fan.

Katrina

Posted Sat Aug 22nd, 2009 6:34am Post subject: Go Sports, Go!

michael said:
HEY BOILER 12...

http://twitpic.com/el45u

*COUGHCOUGHCOUGH*

typical Cardinals fan.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! What a dick! Seems about right to me. Although, I can't say I'm particularly happy with the direction things are going at the moment. It's like the Cubs think people won't like them anymore if they, I don't know, give an effort, stay healthy, or win.

Dude, I'm still in awe of your Rocky ^

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

marzgirl

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 9:45pm Post subject: Go Sports, Go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtHSSEqZyg4

Woohoo!!! I just found this thread!!! I love tennis!!!!!

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 11:00pm Post subject: Go Sports, Go!

IMG]http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m426/marzgirl7829/IMG_2389.jpg[/IMG]

pics from the tourn. i went to last year1

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 11:01pm Post subject: Go Sports, Go!

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 11:05pm Post subject: Go Sports, Go!

I did not see any other posts from tennis fans. I hope there are some out there!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2xgqRZNUn8

~Martin Luther King Jr.~