Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amberzak

Posted Thu Nov 13th, 2008 11:58am Post subject: Goals
As eternal student suggested we have some goals, which is a really good idea, I have started a new thread for just that.

So any suggestions?

I know that Monochrome Princess and others are working on the merchandise ideas, and I can't wait to see where you guys are at. That is going to be a great way of raising funds I believe.

I think it was Taluta who suggested we could put together a book. I really want to do this.

So what do you think? Shall we make some goals?

monochromeprincess

Posted Thu Nov 13th, 2008 9:05pm Post subject: Goals
I'd just like to reiterate my support 'n' all. Though I don't really have much idea about goals, I thought it was important to say that this is a good idea, and I think the silence has been a thoughtful one that has come over this forum. I think we were all reacting to what had been said - many places - about the reasons for doing this, etc.

But I think definitely something has to be said about the practicalities of it all, and to be done so without fear of offending anyone - e.g. if I say, well how do you think that is going to work, it's because I actually want to know the dynamics and the mechanics of the thing, not that I'm questioning the idea or even worse trying to put someone down. You get me? I hope we can do that safely and productively.

I really like the idea of the book - I can get working towards my contribution as soon as I know the details - and I think we can all put one together, but I think we need to know how, how, how, for a lot of it. I'm not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but are we selling it here? Is there a separate place where we are selling it? Apologies if this has already been mentioned (I guess it's good to have all the info in one thread). Lots of things. Let's have a nice discussion about it all :).

mp xxxx

@dreamingshadow

amberzak

Posted Thu Nov 13th, 2008 9:13pm Post subject: Goals
I'd just like to reiterate my support 'n' all. Though I don't really have much idea about goals, I thought it was important to say that this is a good idea, and I think the silence has been a thoughtful one that has come over this forum. I think we were all reacting to what had been said - many places - about the reasons for doing this, etc.

But I think definitely something has to be said about the practicalities of it all, and to be done so without fear of offending anyone - e.g. if I say, well how do you think that is going to work, it's because I actually want to know the dynamics and the mechanics of the thing, not that I'm questioning the idea or even worse trying to put someone down. You get me? I hope we can do that safely and productively.

I really like the idea of the book - I can get working towards my contribution as soon as I know the details - and I think we can all put one together, but I think we need to know how, how, how, for a lot of it. I'm not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but are we selling it here? Is there a separate place where we are selling it? Apologies if this has already been mentioned (I guess it's good to have all the info in one thread). Lots of things. Let's have a nice discussion about it all :).

mp xxxx

I hope that things will be sold through here. At them moment it is really a case of wait and see if Andrew is okay with it being sold through here, as it may be more work. I am not really sure where anything is at at there end to be honest.

There also might be other places to sell, like ebay. I don't know to be truthful. Has anyone got any other ideas?

gadgetgirl

Posted Thu Nov 13th, 2008 9:27pm Post subject: Goals
I like the idea of a book too. And the t-shirts I wonder if it's worth having a numerical figure as well though that people could contribute to in their own way, e.g. doing sponsored things? I guess the worry would be that we want to raise awareness, not just throw money at the problem so we need to make sure we actually *do* something.

That would be me.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Nov 14th, 2008 1:14pm Post subject: Goals
I like the idea of the book and the t-shirts, however the prob wit the t-shitrs is copyright, am not sure if anyone's thought of any good fluffette catchphrases or maybe we cud have something about SF is following me, though this prob isn't the right thread for ideas..

Anyway, even with everything thats been said i'm still 100% behind this idea and would love to see it move forward. We need to put our thinking caps on.

When it comes to merchandise I can produce SF/Tom Baker style scarves, how are we gonna produce the t-shirts?

Also the location of everyone is quite spread out, which makes me wonder how this is gonna work?

So maybe one goal could be to take one project book/merchandise and work out the practicalities, who can do what ,where and when?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Nov 14th, 2008 1:55pm Post subject: Goals
Also the location of everyone is quite spread out, which makes me wonder how this is gonna work?

So maybe one goal could be to take one project book/merchandise and work out the practicalities, who can do what ,where and when?

This is why I think making something to sell thruogh the website might be best as everyone's so spread out.

Assuming direct control...

monochromeprincess

Posted Fri Nov 14th, 2008 6:34pm Post subject: Goals
Yeah I agree with you amyl_nitrate, I think we also need to think about where our market is; are we producing things by the forum for the forum or are we aiming at a bigger market such as ebay, etc. (because there are a lot of other issues with aiming for a bigger market). Ultimately it might be easier to sell things through ebay even if we are selling just to people on the forum, because it's a site that works well for this sort of buying and selling interaction.

I think with t-shirts it'll have to be one of us that just does it, after getting details of orders etc...we were asking at one point if there's anyone that knows someone who can print t-shirts do get it done cheaper, but I presume there isn't because nothing was said. So I think in that case, once we have designs set, whoever is going to do it (I don't mind, but we'll see who is in the best position to do it in terms of costs etc) will have to give quotes as to how much t-shirts are going to cost as well as the price of printing.

Personally I'm not sure I understand the purpose of goals, as in targets of the amount of money we want to raise; surely it will just be the amount that we can sell? And then, if everyone on the forum has contributed as much as we feel we can (because there is obviously a point that we'll reach where everyone that wants to support the cause here has exhausted whatever disposable income they have), we can start thinking about ways that we can move out from the small focus of this forum into other places, if we still are interested in doing so. I think it's small steps really, and I think getting this all together just to sell to the forum is a big enough thing in itself to start thinking beyond (that is just my opinion though, feel free to disagree with me) - not impossible by any means, and I think everyone can have their own part to play: it will be challenging but rewarding. Especially if we can get pics of everyone wearing their very own Fluffette t-shirts X).

Let me know your thoughts.

mp xxxx

@dreamingshadow

amberzak

Posted Fri Nov 14th, 2008 6:49pm Post subject: Goals
As part of this is to raise awareness, as well as funds, that was why I thought we might need sell elsewhere too, or at least put links elsewhere directing people here to buy, as that is part of the awareness thing.

Sorry if I got this wrong though.

gadgetgirl

Posted Fri Nov 14th, 2008 8:03pm Post subject: Goals
I see what you are saying about goals MP, but I think if we are aiming for something then it's a reason to push on after the initial rush of excitement. A monetary target is rather crude and I'm certainly not suggesting making the amounts given by anyone public, but I can't think of a better idea unfortunately.

That would be me.

IdeaCollector

Posted Sat Nov 15th, 2008 5:10am Post subject: Goals
I see what you are saying about goals MP, but I think if we are aiming for something then it's a reason to push on after the initial rush of excitement. A monetary target is rather crude and I'm certainly not suggesting making the amounts given by anyone public, but I can't think of a better idea unfortunately.

I think a monetary goal isn't crude at all. You don't post what people donated you do one of those little graph things and update it each week showing how much closer you are to your goal.

People donate more when there is a set goal in mind b/c they can see the progress being made and find that there is a end point in which to set ones sights no matter how far off it is. Meet one monetary goal and then set another I say.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

monochromeprincess

Posted Sat Nov 15th, 2008 11:37am Post subject: Goals
Okay cool guys, it definitely sounds like a good idea now to have this monetary goal, I'm convinced :).

Hmm, I want to talk more about the book. Do we know how many contributors we will have? I suppose, that like with t-shirts etc, we will need someone to collate everything and package it together. Is there a list of people and what they can contribute (and is it alright to do that? We won't be leaving anyone out will we?), to get an idea of how big it'll be?

I think if there are people that feel they want to contribute but don't know how, because, maybe, they don't have such obvious talents as being able to draw or write, there are still plenty of different things they can do - like, I don't know, baking something relevant (like koala biscuits!) or something and then take photos of them - what does everyone think about that? I think the more varied the contributions are the better it'll be, and a better reflection of us as people that want to help this cause.

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Nov 15th, 2008 1:33pm Post subject: Goals
well my talents lie with drawing em, well drawing naked men it seems, not sure wether any of my artwork would be suitable but def wanna contribute. Maybe can whip up something else. I like the idea of everybody contributing something, everyones own individual touch.

amberzak

Posted Sat Nov 15th, 2008 9:21pm Post subject: Goals
Someone once suggested that some people might be good at, say, research, and so could help with articles in the book.

I think that we will need to have factual information as much as creative works in it. That way it will be informative as well as entertaining.

Maybe we should have a new thread where people can put down what they want to contribute to the book? That way we wont be leaving any new people out because the thread will always be there. What do you think?

As for the monetary goals, I think it would be great to set a goal. Andrew already said that he is working on a graph which would show how much has been raised which he hopes to include in a section he is creating about 'last chance to see'

IdeaCollector

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 6:43am Post subject: Goals
I'm fairly good at research.

But I'm horrible at drawing!

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 11:16am Post subject: Goals
I'm good at research as well but terrible at drawing. I like the idea of having a mixture of creative stuff and serious stuff. In terms of creative stuff are we going for the poetry competition or are we going to have a mix of stuff like poems, short stories, recipes and anything else people might want to do?

Assuming direct control...