Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 11:29am Post subject: Goals
I think it would be good to have a mix too. I'll set up a poll about the competition - I think polls on here will be a great way of knowing interest etc with things that we talk about.

If that's okay :).

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow

amberzak

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 1:56pm Post subject: Goals
I think it would be better to have a mix of stuff, gives the readers more variety and opens it up to having a lot of different people being able to contribute.

taluta

Posted Tue Nov 18th, 2008 1:15pm Post subject: Goals
I'm good at research as well but terrible at drawing. I like the idea of having a mixture of creative stuff and serious stuff. In terms of creative stuff are we going for the poetry competition or are we going to have a mix of stuff like poems, short stories, recipes and anything else people might want to do?

Squishy hugs you .... because I can!

I just posted something to this effect over at another thread... OK I am a bit slow. I am 100% with this idea. I have some pretty cool ideas (well I think they are cool.. does that count? *shrug*) about how to thread this all together into one colourfully bound volume...

'Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That I kept my word,' he said.
Ay, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

taluta

Posted Tue Nov 18th, 2008 1:23pm Post subject: Goals
I think it would be better to have a mix of stuff, gives the readers more variety and opens it up to having a lot of different people being able to contribute.

Hey there, yeah! definately. Not only for the contributions but it will increase the scale of interest and thus the potential market for sales widens too.

I am busting with ideas... my 3weeks of toothache has finally subsided and my brain appears intact, if not bursting with ideas, after its drug induced slumber - so nice to be cognisant of my surroundings again!

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

amberzak

Posted Tue Nov 18th, 2008 9:23pm Post subject: Goals

Hey there, yeah! definately. Not only for the contributions but it will increase the scale of interest and thus the potential market for sales widens too.

I am busting with ideas... my 3weeks of toothache has finally subsided and my brain appears intact, if not bursting with ideas, after its drug induced slumber - so nice to be cognisant of my surroundings again!

Thats good because, while last week I was fully focussed, over the next few days I don't think I am going to bevery focussed I am afraid. :'(

taluta

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 8:23am Post subject: Goals

Thats good because, while last week I was fully focussed, over the next few days I don't think I am going to bevery focussed I am afraid. :'(

Awwww! Why so sad?

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

amberzak

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 10:49am Post subject: Goals

Awwww! Why so sad?
http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37.....mp;start=0

taluta

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 2:35pm Post subject: Goals

Awwww! Why so sad?
http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37.....mp;start=0

Oh hun, that is just so very very sad! There is nothing worse than losing an old friend. *gives you a gigantic cyber hug*

I never get over losing a dog and I always have dogs because I love their company so much. If you need to purge or cyber sob, my shoulders are free. Please feel free to send me an email or private mssge, you have my email right?

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 7:31pm Post subject: Goals
I find the idea of a book very interesting. I'm good with research and am also a published author (history), only my first language isn't English - this is why I'm not sure if I can contribute anything in written form.
Just a few thoughts: The problem with most books are the production costs, mainly the typesetting, production of proof copys and finally the printing and binding - the total costs depending on the number of pages. With the combined skills and expertise here I'm sure we can manage the typesetting, proof and proof copy part, but the printing remains a difficulty. Maybe we should discuss our options: do we want to offer a printed / bound book or maybe an e-book available for download?

taluta

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 8:35pm Post subject: Goals
I find the idea of a book very interesting. I'm good with research and am also a published author (history), only my first language isn't English - this is why I'm not sure if I can contribute anything in written form.
Just a few thoughts: The problem with most books are the production costs, mainly the typesetting, production of proof copys and finally the printing and binding - the total costs depending on the number of pages. With the combined skills and expertise here I'm sure we can manage the typesetting, proof and proof copy part, but the printing remains a difficulty. Maybe we should discuss our options: do we want to offer a printed / bound book or maybe an e-book available for download?

Good point. I have considered this and am working into my suggestions ways to get sponsorship to this end. eg. if we have recipes, we could use brand name ingredients, the brand may be willing to sponsor this as they will be getting advertising and their name would be linked to a charitable cause... amongst other possibilities.

Really useful hands on experience and knowledge which you have though, I cannot see how that would not be fantastically beneficial to us in the form of any contribution you may be willing to make. What is your mother tongue btw?

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

amberzak

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 10:21pm Post subject: Goals
I may have a printer who is willing to print it. I have a friend who works for Wileys. Wileys is jut down the road from me.

If they agree, they would be willing to print it, and then when it is sold they will just take the cost of production out of the sales.

Also, don't forget the support Starbucks may give us. My mum thinks they might be able to give us the initial costs of production for a book and for the merchandise. She is in head office don't forget. They will want their logo puton it somewhere, but that isn't so bad

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Nov 20th, 2008 8:25am Post subject: Goals
I may have a printer who is willing to print it. I have a friend who works for Wileys. Wileys is jut down the road from me.

If they agree, they would be willing to print it, and then when it is sold they will just take the cost of production out of the sales.

Also, don't forget the support Starbucks may give us. My mum thinks they might be able to give us the initial costs of production for a book and for the merchandise. She is in head office don't forget. They will want their logo puton it somewhere, but that isn't so bad

that sounds fantastic

@taluta thanks, a compliment I think I can return to the majority here My first language is German, btw.

amberzak

Posted Thu Nov 20th, 2008 12:48pm Post subject: Goals
If people want to write in their mother tongue, then we can always get it translated. I don't want anyone being left out because English isn't their first language.

taluta

Posted Thu Nov 20th, 2008 12:56pm Post subject: Goals
If people want to write in their mother tongue, then we can always get it translated. I don't want anyone being left out because English isn't their first language.

I agree with you completely. Language difference is such a minor issue, honestly. I am absolutely certain that there are multilingual people right here who could assist.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

taluta

Posted Thu Nov 20th, 2008 12:59pm Post subject: Goals

that sounds fantastic

@taluta thanks, a compliment I think I can return to the majority here My first language is German, btw.

I learned German at school, have worked with/for German people most of my life. I have never met a German whose English is not as good as, if not better, than many mother tongue English speakers! Of course my German is utterly useless!

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare